Talk

Advanced search

Are you all ready for tomorrow? Calendars at the ready?

(29 Posts)
o0 Sun 30-Nov-14 21:56:39

I've gone a bit ott this year and we have a book advent calendar, a 24 pocket stocking calendar and Dec 1st boxes.

I'm so excited. fgrin

Pretty please come share your excitement too!

CointreauVersial Sun 30-Nov-14 22:02:56

Ooh, thanks for reminding me.

Now where did I stash the damned things?

iloveholidays Sun 30-Nov-14 22:18:52

We've been a little naughty and brought the 1st Dec hamper out today. We've been to a christmas Victorian festival today so thought it would be nice for the elves to be out ready for the when we got home. It actually worked really well, rushed for a bath as wanted to try out their festive magic flannels and get in their festive PJs grin

Tonight I've prepared an activity advent calendar which I've hung on the back of DDs door.

So December here we come grin

Decorations and tree going up next Saturday grin

ChristmasJumperWearer Sun 30-Nov-14 22:24:57

Yes, the elf is indahouse (remembered where I'd put it, phew) and calendars and new books and DVDs positioned. Ready for the morning.

None of it is wrapped though, OP. Yours looks lovely.

PinkSquash Sun 30-Nov-14 22:35:32

I have just finished putting everything out. I am so excited to see the DC faces in the morning.

Bit of a crap pic, but you'll get the gist.

o0 Sun 30-Nov-14 22:38:57

Dammit, I wish I'd thought to get some fairy light ready! Love your photo, Pink. fgrin

306235388 Sun 30-Nov-14 22:41:31

Yep elf and fairy door on fireplace.

We've messed up advent calendars this year and for some reason both grandparents bought them one each when they've never done so before.

So they have the advent train with chocolate in ( from elf), a toy calendar, a religious picture calendar and a Lindt calendar. It's bloody ridiculous but didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

Lovelydiscusfish Sun 30-Nov-14 22:41:37

Thanks for reminder! Have popped a chocolate in dd's wooden advent drawer thing, but my cousin also sent her an advent nativity scene, whereby you stick stickers on for the different days of advent - must get that out for her tomorrow morning (or at least encourage dh to do so - he is off with her tomorrow).

sliceofkate Sun 30-Nov-14 22:57:45

I've also gone abit ott..blush buy I love it! Elf is back and nestled snuggly on his shelf, we have a wooden door advent which Elf will fill each day if they've 'been good', a chalk board cross off the sleeps one and a shop bought chocolate one each too. only I let them choose and ds chose a one direction one! grin blush confused

I have the yankee advent calendar for me too smile

MissLurkalot Sun 30-Nov-14 23:09:30

All ready here.. I love our new xmas tree advent calendar with big chunky drawers enough for 4 kids chocs! All our Christmas books and toys are in the Disney box.... I'm especially excited about the brown box which has our International Elf Service personalised letters!

Frontron Sun 30-Nov-14 23:11:21

We're all set after a load of faffing about trying to find everything!
They've got a dec 1st hamper this year for the first time with bedding, pj's, Xmas colouring, advent candle and a count down thingy where they tear a page off every day and it tells them how many sleeps til Xmas
They've also got the choc calendars they chose, their playmobil advent calendar (3rd yr of use now) and a chalk board to cross off the days.
Add to that all the dvds and the huge pile of books accumulated over the years and it's like Xmas come early... And I love it lol

FlyingByTheSeatof Sun 30-Nov-14 23:20:55

Thanks for the reminder blush totally forgot to put out the advent calendars we fill with chocolates each day. They both have their Lego calendars ready and waiting though. I can't wait to see what they get each day in those, I don't know who's more excited

temporaryusername Sun 30-Nov-14 23:58:00

What is a December 1st box? It looks good fgrin.

o0 Mon 01-Dec-14 00:12:19

My Dec 1st box has Santa/reindeer hot water bottles, a Sven/Olaf cuddly toy, Christmas mug, huuuuuge bar of chocolate, Reindeer noses, paper chain kit, box of cards to send to friends, new pens and Christmas colouring pages, and a bottle of cola with Rudolph name.

So just stuff that I'd give out in December but this year I've put it all in boxes (that I painted myself! Am chuffed with how they came out).

I think others often put Xmas pjs and that sort of thing in theirs.

fgrin ooooh look it's December 1st! fgrin

MummyPig24 Mon 01-Dec-14 00:57:16

My dad and my MIL bought the two elder children advent calendars so they can open one before school and one after. Ds1 has a snowman one and a Cadbury one. Dd has a woodland friends one and a cadburys one.

MrsMcRuff Mon 01-Dec-14 01:05:46

We have our 'proper' advent calendar, a choc calendar for each of the dc (even the adult dc!), and a lovely advent candle at the ready! Happy December everyone smile

FixItUpChappie Mon 01-Dec-14 02:13:49

we put up our outdoor Christmas lights today, took out our basket of christmas books, attended a Christmas tree festival, watched the first christmas movie (frosty the snowman) and unwrapped the advent calendar - so yup, we're ready grin

I'm doing a traditional picture advent colander which I had to order online so they clearly fallin out of fashion since my childhood.

Now to decide when to start the indoor decorations and of course the tree. I've young children though so the tree will be no more than 2 weeks before the day at most.

mstumble Mon 01-Dec-14 02:20:59

Are you all ready for tomorrow? Wtf?! I have advent calendars but don't do a display or anything! Never heard of this before...I wouldn't want my kids to have such high expectations. Some children don't even get advent calendars.

FixItUpChappie Mon 01-Dec-14 04:43:55

Some children don't even get advent calendars

How is that relevant to these posters in the CHRISTMAS section posting about thier own traditions? Some people don't have food, but I take it you ate today, no? What an odd post mstumble - people were just sharing a bit of joy FFS.

Sootgremlin Mon 01-Dec-14 08:23:00

never heard of this before

confused

I haven't heard of a lot of other people's Christmas traditions, it's part of why I haunt the Christmas boards like the ghost of Jacob Marley, because I enjoy finding out grin

We are putting our tree up at the weekend when we have some time to put on the Christmas music and make a thing of it with ds helping, but DH and I stayed up late last night putting up the decorations and lights around the fireplace to surprise the dc with this morning. I cut up pictures for the wooden advent train and put out a basket with all our Christmas books in and a new packet of Christmas sticker and colouring books in with them.

They looked thrilled when they came down and saw the lights, even the baby squealed, was magical.

Have spent a lovely hour putting up stickers and tinsel with ds and reading Christmas books.

Feel very Christmassy fsmile

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 01-Dec-14 09:26:11

<joins in> Behold - the first-ever Mumsnet Advent Calendar.

<saunters off, singing Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas>

Artandco Mon 01-Dec-14 09:31:40

Really? Mine just got a choc ball in a drawer this morning. Is everyone at school going to be talking about presents and Xmas pjs and displays?

That 'advent' display is what we put up for Xmas

ItsBeginingToLookAlotLikeChris Mon 01-Dec-14 09:43:15

We have made our own advent tree this year, I don't know why I saddled myself with sewing 25 little pockets. Its not ready though, but should be ready by at least tomorrow.

I have also got an xmas duvet that willl be going on today.

We will hold off main dec until hopefully 13/14th dec.

Sootgremlin Mon 01-Dec-14 09:48:09

So your children only read Christmas books on Christmas Day, and do Christmas crafts on the day too? I think your chocolate ball in the drawer sounds extravagant, my kids got a snipped out picture fgrin

Artandco Mon 01-Dec-14 09:50:23

Soot - nope we just keep the Xmas books out all year smile. Nothing like a Xmas story in July. We wouldn't have anywhere to store them seperatley

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now