Talk

Advanced search

Classic board games that don't have crappy quality pieces

(13 Posts)
LongHardStare Sun 30-Nov-14 14:33:20

I was thinking of getting Risk and Blokus for DS but looking at the reviews online, the current version of both is cheaper quality with either smaller pieces or poorly made bits.

I had the same problem last year trying to get Monopoly and Cluedo.

Is there some place to get new or good condition versions of board games as they were 10/15years ago? I don't really want to get the 'nostalgia' versions as they totally overpriced and are weirdly made out of wood or pure gold or something...

Help me mumsnet!

fuzzpig Sun 30-Nov-14 15:37:34

I wish I knew! I'm still bitter about the new, long awaited rerelease of Escape from Atlantis sad

LongHardStare Sun 30-Nov-14 17:14:13

Thanks fuzzpig. I was sure mumsnet would have the answer...
I suppose there is always ebay but I don't want to risk getting a bashed up set or even worse, a bashed up set of the current version.

fuzzpig Sun 30-Nov-14 17:58:56

Yes you have to be very careful with eBay. I've been known to message sellers before buying. And certainly wouldn't buy that kind of thing without photos.

I think certain brands seem to need avoiding IME - stuff like Hasbro always seems to be crap these days.

Does it have to be classic games? Or could it be modern stuff like settlers of catan or carcassonne or qwirkle (all of which are great quality)

AlmaMartyr Sun 30-Nov-14 18:07:08

I'd agree with Fuzzpig, lots of modern games are fantastic quality. We were playing Dread Pirate this afternoon which is a beautiful edition. I know what you mean about new editions of older games. You could try contacting a board games shop (if there's one near you) and seeing if they could help source good versions?

fuzzpig Sun 30-Nov-14 18:16:29

Wow, dread pirate looks great - over my budget sadly! I'm going for ticket to ride this year.

OP one rule of thumb I use is, unfortunately, not to buy games that I can get in the high street. Mostly, I find that if it's in a standard toy shop like the entertainer, it's pants sad

I shop online or when possible use the indie game shop in the neighbouring town. I'd second what Alma said about that. Mine doesn't tend to have the classic board games (except Risk) I guess partly because of the lack of quality versions currently available (they're very particular about their stock)

LongHardStare Sun 30-Nov-14 19:04:19

Oh you're right, maybe it is all just Hasbro... I have been recommended settlers of catan before so maybe will go with this and one of the games you both suggest.

Thanks so much - the pirates one looks fantastic!

AlmaMartyr Sun 30-Nov-14 20:12:21

Ticket to Ride looks fab, it's on our list too smile I think we're looking at two player cooperative games this year though, like Forbidden Island and the Pandemic expansion. Settlers is fantastic Longhardstare, so is Carcassonne. Haven't tried Qwirkle yet. Pandemic is fab too smile

myotherusernameisbetter Sun 30-Nov-14 20:23:42

Tsuro is a beautifully made game - doesn't last very long though....

We have the wooden box edition of Monopoly - it was bought for us a few years ago and it does seem closer to the quality I remember as a child.

callmekitten Sun 30-Nov-14 20:40:15

A lot of classic games have a collector's edition which is usually better quality that their basic edition. Also a bit pricier but generally worth it if it is something that will be used a lot. I would look into that.

Quangle Sun 30-Nov-14 20:47:17

Watching with interest as the junior cluedo DS got for her birthday is a charmless piece of tat because of the cheap tacky pieces and poor design.

myotherusernameisbetter Sun 30-Nov-14 20:52:13

when I said that Tsuro didn't last long, I meant the game play rather than the physical item grin

fuzzpig Mon 01-Dec-14 06:29:07

(Just wanted to say I meant Qwirkle Cubes rather than Qwirkle - more fun IMO)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now