Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Lesser known Christmas songs

(26 Posts)
Ladymoods Sun 30-Nov-14 09:08:36

I find I'm getting a little bored of your Roy Woods and John and Yoko's, I like listening to them with the kids but when I'm on my own I want to listen to something a bit different, maybe more grown up but still nice and festive.

Any suggestions? Not Michael Buble please, can't stand him!

Arlagirl Sun 30-Nov-14 09:14:32

Annie Lennox has a lovely Christmas album

Ladymoods Sun 30-Nov-14 09:16:48

Ah I'll have a look for that, I love her voice.

whevs Sun 30-Nov-14 09:37:55

Sufjan Stevens- 'Songs For Christmas'

BetteDavis01 Sun 30-Nov-14 10:04:45

Carol of the bells, not sure who it's by though!

AnnaBegins Sun 30-Nov-14 10:11:33

Kerfuffle lighten the dark, some lesser known carols and folk songs.

anyoldname76 Sun 30-Nov-14 10:15:49

Ive got the Annie Lennox Christmas cornucopia, it's one of my faves

GloopyGhoul Sun 30-Nov-14 10:30:53

I have the London Community Gospel Choir Christmas album, that's good. The Maccabees (I think) did a cover of Walking in the air that is lovely. Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer is quite funny. I'm curious to listen to Kelly Clarkson's Christmas album, too.

Can you tell I like Christmas music? grin

BedPig2013 Sun 30-Nov-14 13:28:13

We've got the 'Now That's What I Call Christmas' cd and I love the second disc for when I'm wrapping presents or putting the tree up

FurryDogMother Sun 30-Nov-14 14:12:32

Moya (Maire) Brennan - An Irish Christmas - lovely tunes, some traditional, some less so.

JuniorMint Sun 30-Nov-14 14:15:22

Folky: Kate Rusby's Christmas album Sweet Bells

Poppy/Rocky: Tim Wheeler from Ash and Emmy the Great's Christmas album This is Christmas

WireCat Sun 30-Nov-14 14:16:11

I was born on Christmas Day - Tim burgess

perfectlybroken Sun 30-Nov-14 14:19:18

The Cocteau twins did a cover of frosty the snowman which was gorgeous-off to find it on YouTube now

MelanieCheeks Sun 30-Nov-14 14:21:58

Celtic Woman Christmas album is nice and chilled. I like the Erasure Snowglobe one, and - if you can find it - Barry Manilow's one.

grumpyoldgitagain Sun 30-Nov-14 14:28:50

Not one for company or when the kids are up, or if you are easily offended
Hey Santa Claus by Kevin 'bloody' Wilson
Fairly easy to find on you tube

WidowWadman Sun 30-Nov-14 15:10:20

My 6 year old loves "Alien for Christmas" by Fountains of Wayne and I quite like the Ally McBeal Christmas album

TheLostPelvicFloorOfPoosh Sun 30-Nov-14 15:14:33

If you have digital radio you could tune into Smooth Xmas, they play loads of lesser known Christmas loveliness. All day long.

Lakeslady Sun 30-Nov-14 15:58:39

Windham Hill do beautiful Christmas Cds. Here's a track (if the linkydink works)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0yIkiele-M&list=PLUSRfoOcUe4Ze96x5C6U-OkIlWS2k0IVG

callmekitten Sun 30-Nov-14 21:10:24

I love swing music at Christmas time and we have several compilation albums of swing Christmas songs. Brian Setzer's Christmas albums are great too as are the Squirrel Nut Zippers' Christmas album. (not sure if you can get the SNZ in the UK though)

seasalt Sun 30-Nov-14 21:14:13

If you like Bob Dylan he has a Christmas album - great stuff.

Ladymoods Sun 30-Nov-14 21:53:44

Thank you all for the suggestions, I'll get on to YouTube!

ispyfispi Mon 01-Dec-14 12:20:04

Dolly! That is all smile

MakeMeWarmThisWinter Mon 01-Dec-14 12:27:27

I love Badly Drawn Boy - Donna and Blitzen

penguinsaresmall Mon 01-Dec-14 13:11:41

Ooh I was thinking about this yesterday. I was trying to find a Kate Bush Christmas song I used to love - 'December will be magic again' - but I can't find it to download anywhere...

I also used to like 'we all stand together' (or the Frog Chorus) - which you hardly ever hear. I'd forgotten about it until I saw the Debenhams advert.

I have a couple of the 'Very Special Christmas' albums which have some lesser known versions of Christmas songs - lovely version of Silent Night by Stevie Nicks, Blue Christmas sung by Sheryl Crow, loads of others too smile

Ladymoods Mon 01-Dec-14 19:17:04

I love the Stevie Nicks version of Silent Night too, beautiful version. That album sounds great, will definitely have a look for that. I know the Kate Bush song you mean, will let you know if I stumble across it anywhere!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now