Talk

Advanced search

Help a foreigner re: turkey

(6 Posts)
riksti Sat 29-Nov-14 08:48:24

It's my first Christmas where I'm having to cook a turkey as it's not a common bird in my country. My problem is the small oven we have, it's only 17"x13"x11" (found out after some enthusiastic measuring). Would a 10-12 lb turkey fit in there? That's the smallest I can get locally but it's not very helpful as I have no idea about the dimensions of this turkey.

bakingaddict Sat 29-Nov-14 08:50:29

Don't know how many you have for dinner but have you thought of getting a turkey crown?

cozietoesie Sat 29-Nov-14 08:57:59

I'd go for a turkey crown myself as above. That should give you some solid meat and you can make up any seeming difference on the table with the 'extras' - the various accompaniments. How many are coming for dinner?

riksti Sat 29-Nov-14 08:59:16

I've only got four adults and two small children to feed so quantity of meat should not be a problem. The turkey crown is definitely an option but I thought I'd ask mumsnet first to see whether a full bird would squeeze in.

cozietoesie Sat 29-Nov-14 09:41:42

I'd have to get out the tape measure to visualize it - not too good on mental sizing I'm afraid. One thing though, you need to have a decent hot air flow round a joint when you're roasting so even if you could manage to get it in with a hammer and chisel (and I have my doubts) it might not cook too well or too evenly if it was seriously tight on space.

My aim for Xmas day is always to remove anxiety and hassle where possible, so I think I'd be measuring up a crown and thinking along those lines. There will be other ovens and other (full-size) turkeys in later years.

riksti Sat 29-Nov-14 09:51:05

Thank you. Think I'll go with the crown then, like you say - anything to reduce the hassle.
Bloodsausage and sauerkraut is a lot easier to do for Christmas smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now