Talk

Advanced search

Solar powered or plug in lights for the little outdoor tree my dad bought me today?

(10 Posts)
lucysmam Fri 28-Nov-14 21:32:58

I had thought solar powered to save me the faff of drilling a hole for the wire, but it's very grey out there lately...will they still work?

clownumbrella Fri 28-Nov-14 22:17:40

I bought these so that I could mark a pathway from our house to the bonfire in the paddock for our bonfire party as they were so cheap (though you may have a MN aversion to blue lights!) and they are fabulous.

They were surprisingly bright (and pretty) so I will be using to decorate outside for christmas!

blue solar fairy lights

lucysmam Fri 28-Nov-14 22:27:50

grin no, no aversion to blue lights! I'll have a look and see if there's something similar in town tomorrow. It was more the plug/solar thing I wondered about, with it being dull and grey outside.

I suppose I can always try them and, if they don't light up, have a look for plug in ones whenever I get to town again.

MsAspreyDiamonds Sat 29-Nov-14 04:41:58

Have a look in your local garden centre or B&Q/homebase type place.

www.notcutts.co.uk/100-led-solar-string-lights/christmas-lights/notcutts/fcp-product/11467

MsAspreyDiamonds Sat 29-Nov-14 04:41:58

Have a look in your local garden centre or B&Q/homebase type place.

www.notcutts.co.uk/100-led-solar-string-lights/christmas-lights/notcutts/fcp-product/11467

Poolomoomon Sat 29-Nov-14 07:08:37

Oh Christ I bought a set of solar lights last Christmas and they only worked for the first two days of December sad. It's too grey! There's never any sunlight around the time of the year. With all the fog yesterday we had the lights on in the house during the day! So I wouldn't personally opt for solar powered...

lucysmam Sat 29-Nov-14 08:32:35

That's what I thought Poolo, I'll get plug in ones instead & get my dad to do the drilling - he's much better at it than us.

clownumbrella Sat 29-Nov-14 22:27:14

Mine are still bright I have been a lazy person and not moved them since early november and they are still bright and sparkly for about 4-6 hours every night. Would definitely recommend grin

makemineapinot Sat 29-Nov-14 23:24:45

Some lights have thin enough wires that let you close doors and windows over them. My outdoor lights at the front go under garage door, back ones ( tree next to dining room patio doors) go under the doors - open doors, feed wire through and doors still lock and lights still work! I'm in Scotland so wouldn't rely on solar lights!! We bought a reindeer last year but can't use it as wire is mega thick and only a foot long so can't plug it in!

enriquetheringbearinglizard Sat 29-Nov-14 23:31:42

Mine are battery powered and I use rechargeable batteries. Work fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now