Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Do you buy your child everything on their list?

(81 Posts)
curiousgeorgie Fri 28-Nov-14 14:29:09

My DD asked for 3 things, a Lucy the dog, a frozen castle and a baby Annabel...

We (and family) have got them.

Today she has decided she needs to write a new list because she forgot about a Kristoff doll... (She means a soft toy doll.)

I think we should just get it. DH says she has loads and will not remember on Christmas morning that she asked for it.

I kind of think that if she gets everything she asks santa for, it will be a bit more magical.

What do you think?

ThatBloodyWoman Fri 28-Nov-14 14:31:39

No.
Absolutely not.
Mine don't put anything ridiculous or ott on their lists,but I get what I think is enough.

HolgerDanske Fri 28-Nov-14 14:33:59

Mine don't make lists anymore as they're too old. But no, I never got them everything. When they were little they didn't do lists, they just got surprises. From about 9 - 13 they would make a list and would make a star by the things they really, really wanted. I would pick some items off the list and make sure to include 3 or 4 of their 'most wanted'.

It's up to the individual of course, but i didn't want to encourage the expectation that they will always get everything they want.

OhFrabjousDay Fri 28-Nov-14 14:34:00

Last year we did. This year dd has asked for an invisible sucker suit (for sticking to the ceiling and hiding during hide and seek games) and a flying car (so that we don't have to sit in traffic). So, no, we won't be getting everything on her list this time.

2anddone Fri 28-Nov-14 14:34:37

The presents in our house come from family members and ourselves (so children know who to write thank you cards to). They write a letter to Santa asking for 3 things these appear in the stocking among other little bits, one appears under the tree and the final one appears if all of dinner has been eaten by magic under our second tree!! So yes the children do get all of the 3 things they ask Santa for but if they have any additions after that it goes on the to ask family for or buy with any Christmas money they get from overseas relatives.

SeeChooJimmy Fri 28-Nov-14 14:34:56

Yes we give dds a budget of £500 to choose what they want withing the budget on their list, them we add on a big surprise each. They pick trainers etc off this too usually

dd3 is 2 though so we usually just pick up things she points out in the disney store, argos etc.

AlwaysHopeful Fri 28-Nov-14 14:35:21

No! Santa brings what he thinks is fair and reasonable given the financial climate... Future Christmases could be difficult if she were to get everything on the list this year

momb Fri 28-Nov-14 14:35:29

We do, between us, because they only ask for three things. We do the email santa letter and they only get to choose the three so have to really htink about it.

MistAndAWeepingRain Fri 28-Nov-14 14:40:37

No. Santa usually brings most of what they've asked for but they understand that writing an item on their Christmas list doesn't automatically = present in their stocking. Good thing too because last year DD1 wanted a real baby kangaroo

Waitingonasunnyday Fri 28-Nov-14 14:56:19

It depends what is on the list! I like my children to realise that they can't have everything they ask for. But if they haven't asked for much this gets a bit tricky...

NorwaySpruce Fri 28-Nov-14 14:58:54

Yes, as long as they are things that actually exist.

They are only allowed to list three things though, and we try to steer requests in a reasonable direction.

Twitterqueen Fri 28-Nov-14 15:02:07

My DCs are older teens now but I have always asked them for lists. I then buy maybe one or two things off them, but that's it. Otherwise there are no surprises and it gets a bit boring... I remember some items though, and will buy them something off the list for their birthdays later in the year, or maybe one of the siblings will buy it for them.

SomeSunnySunday Fri 28-Nov-14 15:03:19

DS1 - yes, always; his lists are very modest!
DS2 - not a chance, his lists are extensive and often contain near-duplicates of things we already have. We just get him a fair and reasonable amount.

nancy75 Fri 28-Nov-14 15:06:06

It depends what is on the list, if it is 3 or 4 things then yes I would buy them all.
From your daughters list I would buy all of it and probably add a few books, pencils smaller little gifts

HolgerDanske Fri 28-Nov-14 15:06:33

I always got them a few things that weren't on the list too.

MissLurkalot Fri 28-Nov-14 15:10:59

Compromise.. Get it, as it's not a super expensive addition.. Then go and post her letter to Santa saying that's it now.. Anything else save for your birthday or pocket money xx

PesoPenguin Fri 28-Nov-14 15:13:21

I suppose we do but he doesn't ask for that many things. If his list was massive/ really expensive we wouldn't.

MissLurkalot Fri 28-Nov-14 15:14:48

Sorry forgot to add, I totally agree. She's added a small modest addition.. That's acceptable for me. If it was much bigger/expensive I'd leave it off, and say maybe you might get it for your birthday etc.
I also agree about the Magic part too. It's Christmas fgs.
And, it's important to remember that those gifts she's requested have been bought by other family members too.. So go for it.
My OH has very little involvement when it comes to xmas present choices, as he knows I'm 'on it' and I just fill him in along the way.

Quenelle Fri 28-Nov-14 15:15:48

No. DS has asked for a Zoomer and I can't bring myself to waste the money.

And anyway, it's quite a long list. He wrote it when he was off sick from school. Two days of watching Argos and Smyths Toys adverts really inspired him hmm

schmeegle Fri 28-Nov-14 15:20:46

Same as above, my OH hasn't a clue what FC is bringing.

It's not a huge thing so I would probably get it.

Although think there probably is a life lesson in there somewhere with regard to coping with not receiving every single thing a child asks for.

It's a fine line we tread trying to make Christmas absolutely magical for our kids and overdoing it.

I think I've overdone it this year so will probably hold somethings back either fir birthdays or next Christmas.

Anyway, I'm rambling here, I would get it!

disneymum3 Fri 28-Nov-14 15:21:08

No I only get 2 things, one from us and one from Santa.
But, the things I don't buy when family members ask what to buy the children, I tell them what they have asked for, then they tell me which item off the list they are going to buy so I can cross it off, so then when another family member asks they sent picking the same gift.
All in all, doing the way I do, they tend to end up with almost everything they asked for.

fluffling Fri 28-Nov-14 15:21:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

disneymum3 Fri 28-Nov-14 15:26:56

I should add, that they don't write a list for Santa. They write a list for us,then they ask Santa for 1 item off that list.

oohnewshoes Fri 28-Nov-14 15:28:57

Dc's are only allowed to write for two items. There is a lot of mind changing when trying to decidegrin and reminded that santa has a lot of children to make toys for.

They can also ask for a suprise if they are very good this gives me a lot of wiggle room to buy the extras I think they will enjoy.

This year has been good so they have a lot of suprise in store.

curiousgeorgie Fri 28-Nov-14 15:36:14

I should probably explain - we got her the Lucy from the list 'from Santa' but she also has a lot of other stuff from us she hasn't asked for.

My mum has got her the Frozen castle and MIL the Annabel. But she has extras from those too.

She probably has too much actually, but I just didn't want her to be missing something she specifically asked Santa for.

I think I'll get it and not mention it to DH! It's not like he can be angry on Christmas morning wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now