Talk

Advanced search

You know those biscuit tree decorations...

(8 Posts)
TicTicBOOM Fri 28-Nov-14 10:56:34

Was thinking of making some this year thanks to a lovely new cookie cutter set DH bought me, they do look very pretty amongst the branches with red gingham ribbons etc.

But do you eat them? It seems an awful waste to bake edible biscuits just for display purposes.

MollyBdenum Fri 28-Nov-14 11:03:38

The tree tends to get barer and barer the longer it stays up as the children have sneaky snacks! Stained glass window biscuits with boiled sweets in the middle look nice, but mine melt under the heat of the tree lights.

They'll go stale pretty quickly hanging up I guess. I've never done them for this reason. Maybe you'll have to eat them and do a fresh set every day! Maybe keep them all in a biscuit tin and just put a few at a time on the tree, eat them and keep replenishing.

Blueteas Fri 28-Nov-14 11:05:01

We've never eaten ours. Tbh, I don't think the more durable biscuit decorations taste that nice, and the ones that would be nicer to eat don't last well enough on the tree (and anyway, would you really fancy eating something slightly stale that tasted slightly of pine needles?)

When we do Christmas baking, we make separate iced biscuits to eat, and hard-wearing non-edible ones to throw a lot of food colouring and silver balls at for the tree.

MollyBdenum Fri 28-Nov-14 11:11:53

They taste a bit stale by Twelfth Night. I only have the tree up for just over a fortnight, and they are fine for that long. I use my normal biscuit recipe (the Nigella one for cutting into shapes) with added spices.

flightywoman Fri 28-Nov-14 11:12:50

You could make salt dough ones - you'd still get to use the cutters and could decorate with beads and glitter and stuff. Then you'd always have them too.

Or Fimo/other modelling clay.

Asleeponasunbeam Fri 28-Nov-14 11:14:42

We make salt dough ones each year - either colour the dough with food colouring or paint/ glitter them afterwards. They don't last really. Although we have some 50 year old German ones that have!

Poolomoomon Fri 28-Nov-14 14:32:22

Never eat them. Tbh the recipe isn't really an edible one anyway, it's just a generic plain biscuit recipe and they don't taste of much. They go hard as a rock after a day or two, yuck. Look pretty though so serve a purpose wink.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now