Talk

Advanced search

Best nut roast recipes!

(7 Posts)
mabelbabel Thu 27-Nov-14 11:18:41

Catering for a variety of people this year including one who eats no pork/beef, one who eats no roast meat, one vegetarian, and a number of omnivores. There will be turkey or chicken for those who want it, but I'd like to make a homemade nut roast or similar, big enough for everyone to have some.

I have never made a nut roast before. And it must be something kids would eat. Identifiable mushroom content would probably be a problem. I think chestnuts would be borderline unacceptable also.

Anyone got any great suggestions, so that I can have a practice in advance??

MsAspreyDiamonds Thu 27-Nov-14 15:03:10

This is not a nut roast recipe but a pie recipe which you can substitute the meat for veg.

www.mumsnet.com/food/recipe/257-Leftover-pie

How about a red onion tart? Just shortcrust pastry with a filling made of cooked red onions, gruyere cheese, cream and eggs. I have the recipe somewhere which I will dig out.

VivaLeBeaver Thu 27-Nov-14 15:12:34

Pack of mixed nuts blitzed in a food processor till very small. Two tins of any beans though I do tend to have one tin as kidney beans. Mash them with a potato masher. Add to nuts.

Chuck an egg in and a tsp of marmite, then a load of dried herbs. Thyme, oregano, rosemary.

Mix all together and cook in a loaf tin.

mabelbabel Thu 27-Nov-14 17:35:01

Thank you! Onion tart might be a goer too.

MsRinky Thu 27-Nov-14 20:55:33

OK, so I know this one is mushroom titled, but you can just leave out the mushroom layer and decoration, just bake the nut bit. It is so delicious. My Mum and I have both been lapsed veggies/born again carnivores for the last decade or so, but we still have to have this every Christmas. It is particularly ace cold in sandwiches.

I also once had it on the menu to cater for the single vegetarian at one of MrRinky's family gatherings - guest list mainly composed of Yorkshire beef farmers. They all went mental for it.

www.food.com/recipe/layered-cashew-and-mushroom-nut-roast-244571

mabelbabel Fri 19-Dec-14 12:37:20

MsRinky - I made this last night as a trial run without mushies. It is perfect! I had no breadcrumbs so used oats instead. I don't even like parsnips much but I loved this so much I've just had it in my sandwich for lunch too. Will go perfectly with all the trimmings too.

MsRinky Fri 19-Dec-14 21:59:32

Oh, I'm so glad you liked it. I have made and frozen mine today, ready for my boxing day sandwiches - we are having pheasant this year so there won't be any meaty leftovers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now