Talk

Advanced search

PLEASE can anyone help me re buying a decent 2nd hand laptop?

(16 Posts)
ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Thu 27-Nov-14 11:13:09

DD is 10 and wants a laptop. I can't run to a new one. She wants mainly to go on her fave websites and to have Word so she can write her stories.

She doesn't need a posh one but I do need to buy one which won't break right away. I know Ebay has a lot of dealers who do refurbs but I'm so nervous of buying one which might break quickly.

Can anyone reccommend a good way of getting one that's a bit "safe" with a small budget please? I know they're always popping up on Facebook selling sites but I want to avoid that as they could be a pile a junk.

I can't spend above 150 and less would be much better. Thanks!

Mrscog Thu 27-Nov-14 11:34:22

Marking place - I don't have a clue but DH will. I'll be back smile

dinkydonut123 Thu 27-Nov-14 11:43:41

currys/pc world have a refurbished laptop section on their website, got mine from there, no problems so far (touches wood swiftly for luck) and you get a warranty.

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Thu 27-Nov-14 11:54:52

They're expensive though Dinky...when I looked anyway. They tend to be more like 200.

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Thu 27-Nov-14 11:55:02

Thanks MrsCog

SunnyBaudelaire Thu 27-Nov-14 11:57:08

you need to find a small businessperson in your town who does them.
For example here in my town there is one person who has a stall in the markethall who does reconditioned laptops and repairs. Am planning to get something like that for my kids too.

SoonToBeSix Thu 27-Nov-14 11:57:41

www.getonlineathome.org
Government sponsored website for reconditioned laptops. £149 if on certain benefits otherwise £169.

GwenStacy Thu 27-Nov-14 11:58:45

How about something like this?

m.ebuyer.com/668463

Ebuyer are a reputable company and if it's only for browsing and typing something like this should be fine smile

ouryve Thu 27-Nov-14 12:04:13

Whatever you get, Word would probably double the price, but have a look at libre office - it's completely free and very easy to use.

Or rather than a laptop, you could get a tablet, such as a Kindle HD (currently £99) and a keyboard attachment for it.

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Thu 27-Nov-14 12:23:05

Soon thank you but I wouldn't qualify.

Gavin Thank you but they're all over 150

Thanks for the tip Ouryve I will do that! DD has a tablet but she wants something bigger.

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Thu 27-Nov-14 12:23:54

Gwen not Gavin! Sorry...I just thought of Gavin and Stacey when I saw your name!

SoonToBeSix Thu 27-Nov-14 12:37:06

If you can stretch to the extra £20 it would be worth it- they come with office.

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Thu 27-Nov-14 12:44:45

No...I really can't. 150 is my upper limit and really that's pushing it.

devafever Thu 27-Nov-14 13:13:20

HP Compaq 6930P with Windows 7 Pro at morgancomputers.co.uk
Use code PCD66 to take off another 10% so £124 delivered.

They have many others too.
Use libre office or similar rather than Microsoft Office.
Don't pay for anti-virus, use AVG free.
Don't buy anything that is still running Windows XP. Vista is just about okay, Windows 7 is much better.

I'm an IT buyer and use Morgan regularly. And no, I don't work for them.
I buy things like graphics cards secondhand via ebay, but computers themselves, no.

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Thu 27-Nov-14 13:40:55

Oh thank you dev! That's such useful info!

ouryve Thu 27-Nov-14 18:17:15

And you might want to stalk this in the Amazon black friday sale, at midnight, tonight, to see if it comes under budget
www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-11-6-inch-Touchscreen-Chromebook-Integrated/dp/B00IN2PY2G

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now