Advanced search

PLEASE can anyone help me re buying a decent 2nd hand laptop?

(16 Posts)
ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Thu 27-Nov-14 11:13:09

DD is 10 and wants a laptop. I can't run to a new one. She wants mainly to go on her fave websites and to have Word so she can write her stories.

She doesn't need a posh one but I do need to buy one which won't break right away. I know Ebay has a lot of dealers who do refurbs but I'm so nervous of buying one which might break quickly.

Can anyone reccommend a good way of getting one that's a bit "safe" with a small budget please? I know they're always popping up on Facebook selling sites but I want to avoid that as they could be a pile a junk.

I can't spend above 150 and less would be much better. Thanks!

Mrscog Thu 27-Nov-14 11:34:22

Marking place - I don't have a clue but DH will. I'll be back smile

dinkydonut123 Thu 27-Nov-14 11:43:41

currys/pc world have a refurbished laptop section on their website, got mine from there, no problems so far (touches wood swiftly for luck) and you get a warranty.

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Thu 27-Nov-14 11:54:52

They're expensive though Dinky...when I looked anyway. They tend to be more like 200.

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Thu 27-Nov-14 11:55:02

Thanks MrsCog

SunnyBaudelaire Thu 27-Nov-14 11:57:08

you need to find a small businessperson in your town who does them.
For example here in my town there is one person who has a stall in the markethall who does reconditioned laptops and repairs. Am planning to get something like that for my kids too.

SoonToBeSix Thu 27-Nov-14 11:57:41
Government sponsored website for reconditioned laptops. £149 if on certain benefits otherwise £169.

GwenStacy Thu 27-Nov-14 11:58:45

How about something like this?

Ebuyer are a reputable company and if it's only for browsing and typing something like this should be fine smile

ouryve Thu 27-Nov-14 12:04:13

Whatever you get, Word would probably double the price, but have a look at libre office - it's completely free and very easy to use.

Or rather than a laptop, you could get a tablet, such as a Kindle HD (currently £99) and a keyboard attachment for it.

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Thu 27-Nov-14 12:23:05

Soon thank you but I wouldn't qualify.

Gavin Thank you but they're all over 150

Thanks for the tip Ouryve I will do that! DD has a tablet but she wants something bigger.

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Thu 27-Nov-14 12:23:54

Gwen not Gavin! Sorry...I just thought of Gavin and Stacey when I saw your name!

SoonToBeSix Thu 27-Nov-14 12:37:06

If you can stretch to the extra £20 it would be worth it- they come with office.

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Thu 27-Nov-14 12:44:45

No...I really can't. 150 is my upper limit and really that's pushing it.

devafever Thu 27-Nov-14 13:13:20

HP Compaq 6930P with Windows 7 Pro at
Use code PCD66 to take off another 10% so £124 delivered.

They have many others too.
Use libre office or similar rather than Microsoft Office.
Don't pay for anti-virus, use AVG free.
Don't buy anything that is still running Windows XP. Vista is just about okay, Windows 7 is much better.

I'm an IT buyer and use Morgan regularly. And no, I don't work for them.
I buy things like graphics cards secondhand via ebay, but computers themselves, no.

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Thu 27-Nov-14 13:40:55

Oh thank you dev! That's such useful info!

ouryve Thu 27-Nov-14 18:17:15

And you might want to stalk this in the Amazon black friday sale, at midnight, tonight, to see if it comes under budget

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now