Talk

Advanced search

Christmas Eve type hamper ideas?

(19 Posts)
Justgotosleepnow Thu 27-Nov-14 09:03:52

I've heard of the Christmas Eve hamper, and think it's a nice idea. Can't think of what to put in it. Got a DH & 20mo walking talking crazy kid.

I'm stuck at Chocolate coins and can't think of anything else.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

BedPig2013 Thu 27-Nov-14 09:25:05

My dd is 22 months at Christmas, she's got
A snow dog teddy and dvd
A Christmas book
Bath fizz, flannel and towel
Night gown and pyjamas
Hot chocolate sachets for us to share while we watch the snow dog dvd

I think the idea of the hamper is to get things to help them unwind and settle to a good nights sleep even though they're so excited. In my case the hamper is mostly for my benefit because dd obviously has no idea about Christmas yet wink

T2710 Thu 27-Nov-14 09:27:26

How about Christmas pjs, a Christmas themed activity/sticker book, a nice Christmas family DVD, hot chocolate (perhaps snowman soup with Christmas cups), a Christmas story (the night before Christmas?). I'm doing a 1st December bag with similar in it so we can get a bit more use from the Christmassy things before Christmas.

fuzzpig Thu 27-Nov-14 09:48:13

Last year we included a bath bomb from lush, it was robot shaped and turned the water bright blue with lavender scent.

And always, always jammies smile

everydayaschoolday Thu 27-Nov-14 10:39:23

I do all the practical homewares and clothing. So I have Olaf/minion onesies, minions bath towels, Olaf/Frozen slippers, Minnie mouse/Frozen fleece blankets, Minion/Frozen cushion. So all snuggly things for the evening. B&M is your friend for most of these bits and pieces on the cheap!

Team it with hot choc/snowman soup, some treat snacks and a DVD and the evening is set.

I too am doing a North Pole Breakfast on 1st Dec. And all the Christmas beakers, melamine plates, the 2 elves come out (soft toys for the month), santa hats etc all reused from previous years. A gift of a book and a DVD each wrapped on the table (to get use out of during the christmas period). I make toast cut into christmas shapes from cookie cutters and have bought Christmas tree crumpets from Tesco, chuck in a christmas choc lolly, a flump (north pole) and some chocolate milk and you have a kids breakfast from heaven! wink

everydayaschoolday Thu 27-Nov-14 10:41:26

High fives Fuzzpig - ALWAYS jammies grin

WildFlowersAttractBees Thu 27-Nov-14 10:47:36

I give all Christmas specific items in the DC's advent calendars to get more use out of them but we then have the same stuff every year in the Christmas eve hamper.

Pyjamas for us all (tartan to get more use)
Slippers for us all
Festive DVD
Popcorn
Gingerbread men
Bath bomb each
Snowmen marshmallows
Normally hot choc but this year it is a tassimo machine with hot choc pods!

MuckleMadMoose Thu 27-Nov-14 10:57:24

Last year we had a 'onesie' theme so all got new onesies, however this year we have decided on a superhero theme so this is what is going to be in ours;
New superhero pyjamas for all (me, DH, DS1 (4) DS2 (6 months)).
Christmas activity book (69p home bargains)
Christmas films (probably just use last years ones)
Popcorn
Reindeer food (made with oats and glitter)
Santa stop here sign (last years one)
Chocolate coins

BiddyPop Thu 27-Nov-14 10:57:47

Ours has our copy of "Twas the Night before Christmas" for bedtime story reading.

New PJs for all 3 of us (DH, DD (will be 9 on Boxing Day) and I)

Sometimes new slippers or slippersocks, sometimes I just wash festive ones we have to use fresh, sometimes I forget

This year DD needs a new hot water bottle so I got one with a festive cover to snuggle (she'd be getting it around now anyway - the old one is showing signs of perishing but not gone yet)

Always naice hot choc for us all - usually the lumps of choc on a wooden spoon (DDs often has smarties, I get drop of amaretto, DH might get chilli or orange choc)

Sometimes I put in a Christmas beer for DH as well (and maybe even 1 for me!)

Usually some sort of festive marshmallows or chocolate to have with it

DD's stocking to put out

Always a bath bomb for DD (Lush do lovely festive ones) and usually 1 for me, sometimes a nice shower gel for DH (but chocolate gel was not well received one year - too strange!).

Our hamper comes out after dinner and after lighting the Christmas candle. DD puts out the food and drink for Santa, and her stocking. THen heads to the bath, new pjs, hot choc in front of the fire, one last check on progress of the Sleigh on NORAD and then up to bed for the story and sleep. So it helps to point the direction of the necessary change without forcing the issue, and she heads off happily enough.

TwoNoisyBoys Thu 27-Nov-14 12:55:02

I just wrote out a whole post and it's disappeared!! Anyway, the main point in it was that I've ordered Christmas Eve hamper bath bombs from Bomb Cosmetics.....there's some lovely Christmassy ones! Take a look, they're really fab smile

Justgotosleepnow Thu 27-Nov-14 15:52:11

Hi thanks for all your replies grin
I'm on my phone so I can't name check sorry.

But I'm loving the pjs, hot choc & DVD combo! Sounds lovely

Popcorn, christmas shaped gingerbread (could be a good toddler activity to make it too) and adult drinkies. Maybe a small bottle of port or sherry?!

When she's older will do the oats & glitter for the reindeers that's lovely. I think our Santa might be a whiskey drinker wink

I think we will do it after we've put the tree up, and it looks all twinkly.

I've got an old fortnum & masons hamper I can use.

Need to rtt to get more ideas grin

Justgotosleepnow Thu 27-Nov-14 15:54:59

Christmas stickers & books is a super idea. Shall do that too.
She's already in her Xmas pjs (needed new ones anyway) so I guess I need to get more confused or maybe an Xmas jumper for her instead.

Thanks everyone

MuckleMadMoose Thu 27-Nov-14 18:55:40

I forgot I've got Christmas jumpers for the boys and this dress for me.

Justgotosleepnow Thu 27-Nov-14 21:47:21

Muckle I saw that dress in the shop yesterday. It's fab! Super Christmassy but not a daft jumper, very good idea!

MuckleMadMoose Thu 27-Nov-14 21:56:38

It's really nice on too, I'm glad I got it. You're right it's Christmassy without being over the top. smile

LucasNorthsTwiglets Fri 28-Nov-14 13:01:04

I always put in window gel clings from Poundland or those pop-up Xmas shops. Then a Xmas plate or mug for teatime... again, you can get them in Poundland-type shops. Basically, if it doesn't come from Poundland it doesn't go in my hamper smile

BettyFocker Sat 29-Nov-14 23:13:53

Our Christmas Eve hamper consists of...

New pyjamas for DS (not Christmas themed)
Christmas book for bedtime
Christmas DVD
Hot chocolate
Marshmallows
Gingerbread men
Bath stuff for DS. This year I've bought him some stuff that crackles and pops in the bath, like popping candy for the bath!
Magic santa key
Reindeer food

I put it in a small wicker basket with some Christmas-themed tissue paper.

frazzled74 Sat 29-Nov-14 23:25:11

New pjs for children(don't do adult hamper), bath bomb from lush for dd,reindeer food, santa plate for leaving mince pie and lager, Christmas DVD from pound land, Christmas book, cuddly snowmen .

Justgotosleepnow Sun 30-Nov-14 13:42:00

Oh I'm liking the Xmas themed paper in the basket.
Might try potato print Xmas trees as a craft activity, then use that. Fab thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now