Talk

Advanced search

Vegetable accompaniments to protein-heavy buffet

(7 Posts)
berberana Wed 26-Nov-14 09:09:07

Hello,

We usually have a family gathering Xmas Eve - 7-9 adults and 3yo DS this year I think. I am planning to make a rabbit terrine and a hot water crust chicken/sausagemeat/cranberry pie along with some sausage rolls for DS. Will also serve a cheeseboard. And crusty bread. Am planning some puddings - at the moment I'm thinking a Xmas pudding trifle and a Yule log and some festive gingerbread men (for DS mainly!). The idea is that leftovers will be available for lunches and snacks over the next couple of days.

Just conscious this is all a bit heavy on the meat / stodge / baking, and would like some ideas of stuff to serve with. I can do some home-made chutney / pickles but what about veg? A bog-standard salad would just be wasted I think (I know my audience!).

Either something that can be served cold and still be appealing on a winter night, or something that can be served warm and retain its heat - something like roasted veg / gratin but not sure they will go with my other offerings. The best I can come up with at the moment is a sort of winter slaw - any other inspired ideas? Thanks!

olbas Wed 26-Nov-14 09:26:14

Corn on the cob.... Is that still available although you can buy them frozen
crudities
Bowl of cherry tomatoes with basil leaves artistically placed grin
Red cabbage
Gerkhins
pickled onions
cheese and pineapple hedgehogs

iseenodust Wed 26-Nov-14 09:31:32

Friends do a broccoli, cauliflower & walnut salad which everyone raves about (except me as my idea of nightmare!).
I've done an orange & fennel salad which felt a bit more festive.

girlywhirly Wed 26-Nov-14 09:36:20

What about some sweet potato wedges? You cut the sweet pots into wedges with the skin on, coat in oil and bake in a single layer on a flat baking tray on the oven. Unlike ordinary potato, it counts as a vegetable. You can also make them a little spicy by sprinkling with a little paprika or other spice mix.

You could lightly fry some cherry tomatoes in a little olive oil, they are lovely warm. Or some garlicky button mushrooms would be nice.

Elysianfields Wed 26-Nov-14 09:40:46

Red cabbage? Like this one - www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3064/braised-red-cabbage-with-cider-and-apples

it is quite coleslawish and is nice cold.

Bumpedbonce Wed 26-Nov-14 09:40:51

Carrot salad, grated carrots, sultanas, sunflower seeds, lime juice and olive oil all mixed together. Cherry tomatoes in a bowl, celery and pepper sticks. Stuffed mushrooms maybe

berberana Wed 26-Nov-14 16:42:35

Ooh good ideas, thanks! DS would love the carrot salad, mushrooms are a household fave and would be nice with the rabbit... I have made a warm spiced red cabbage in the past which was a massive festive hit and would be great with leftovers over the next few days... potato wedges a nice idea too - I was wanting something a bit more interesting than a bowl of (unseasonal) new potatoes, so that might hit the spot. Splendid, thanks guys!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now