Talk

Advanced search

Christmas cards at primary school?

(6 Posts)
curiousgeorgie Tue 25-Nov-14 08:54:09

This is my first experience of this so apologies if everyone knows wink

Do you get your DC (mine is 4) to write cards to the whole class? Including teachers?

And do you just ask the teacher to pop them in the book bags because that seems like a lot of extra work for the teacher if everyone does it?

bogiesaremyonlyfriend Tue 25-Nov-14 09:00:31

Dd is just doing friends- she has a big class and I don't know all the names and neither does she yet!! Schools I've worked in usually have a post box and then yes the teachers out in book bags to take home. Maybe if you want to do a class one you could ask for a class list of names- I used to have a printed list of first names I could hand out.

SockDrawer Tue 25-Nov-14 09:11:05

As a teacher I highly encourage it, it's a fantastic way to encourage children to write. I would let your child decide who they want to give cards too so it feels fun and not like a chore. Its not necessary but feel free to do the whole class if they want to, afterwards they'll always know how to write 'happy' and 'Christmas'!

I've experienced a few ways of cards being organised and none of them involved me putting the cards into book bags myself (you're right - unnecessarily time consuming). Your school may have a postbox organised by the bigger children, or your class may have one for themselves organised by the teacher (emptied regularly and handed out at home time for example), or your child may be encouraged to 'deliver' the cards themselves by finding their friend's tray.

Primrose123 Tue 25-Nov-14 09:13:22

I wouldn't send them. In our primary school we were asked to stop sending them. In a class of 30 children, if each one sends a card to all the others, that's 870 cards, just in one class! Think of the cost, and the environment. We used to send one card to the whole class, and they put them up in school.

Pigleychez Tue 25-Nov-14 09:18:58

Agree, my Daughters previous school had a postbox by the reception where they were posted.
First year at this new school but ive heard they do the same.

This year I have 2 at school so double the amount of cards!

Totally agree about being good writing practice. My girls have always made handmade cards to Grandparents each Christmas and birthday and the first things they knew how to spell were.. Love from smile

I got Class card packs (pack of 30) from Aldi for only 99p

DaisyFlowerChain Tue 25-Nov-14 09:19:56

In infants, DS just made cards for his teacher and other staff members and instead of cards to children we bought a Christmas themed book for the class to share.

In juniors, they tend to write their own and decide for themselves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now