Talk

Advanced search

What can I get a duck for Christmas?

(29 Posts)
attheendoftheday Tue 25-Nov-14 08:34:30

I've been sorting out some christmas decorations dm has given me and amongst them are some small knitted stockings. 3 year old dd1 is determined they be hung up so father christmas can leave presents for our many animals. I can easily manage the dog, rats and rabbits but what on earth can I get a duck for christmas? I will put in a dog biscuit or bit of veg for the others but the ducks don't have treats per second and duck food is a bit crumbly.

Any thoughts?

juneybean Tue 25-Nov-14 08:36:51

plum sauce

Do ducks play with toys??

bogiesaremyonlyfriend Tue 25-Nov-14 08:51:00

Could you make a duck fat ball type thing? Hung on some pretty string like a bauble? Or duck food in a cellophane bag with pretty ribbon? They can have bird food mix too! And chopped grapes or peas and sweet corn (defrosted but uncooked)

bogiesaremyonlyfriend Tue 25-Nov-14 08:51:36

Oooh and meal worms would be a great Christmas treat!! grin

curiousgeorgie Tue 25-Nov-14 08:55:49

Can you put its food in a cone? Like a sweetie cone?

You could tie it up with curling ribbon and make it look pretty wink

TheFantasticMrsFox Tue 25-Nov-14 11:21:30

Yes, a pretty bag of "naice food for ducks" grin
That has really cheered me up OP! And FWIW we have three dogs and a cat. All have their own handmade stockings, and will have a selection of treats etc in. We even put a pretty ribbon round a couple of Bonios to stick out the top <goes off in search of a life> grin

attheendoftheday Wed 26-Nov-14 00:47:59

Meal worms in a sweetie cone is genius and will fit the bill nicely. Thank you all! I won't even need to get anything as I have both cones and meal worms in the house.

A second thanks for not ridiculing my ludicrous first world problem!

juneybean they play with a ball a bit but I couldn't think of anything else they might use.

Moomaloo Wed 26-Nov-14 11:24:22

What a fab idea! We have 3 ducks - now just need to convince dh that they need stockings!

Ames0813 Thu 27-Nov-14 19:39:37

My husband suggest a little duck soft toy so he gets a friend

youbethemummylion Thu 27-Nov-14 19:42:46

Aww how cute, will the ducks stocking be hung in his little duck house (that I have decided to believe he inhabits although I realise I may be wrong) or will duck be invited into the house to open his stocking?

annabanana19 Thu 27-Nov-14 21:20:34

Im gonna be sarcastic and say orange sauce.

Sorrywink

southeastastra Thu 27-Nov-14 21:24:19

a dish?

dingit Thu 27-Nov-14 21:25:38

Pancakes?

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 27-Nov-14 21:33:36

Aww presents for ducks grin

Do they like pond weedy types of plants? Those fish pond suppliers shops would sell it?

We have three guineas , they'll wear their festive hats and fill their faces with veg.

TheLostPelvicFloorOfPoosh Thu 27-Nov-14 21:39:52

A bag of slugs with a velvet bow on it.

TheFantasticMrsFox Thu 27-Nov-14 22:07:05

This thread fills me with a ridiculous amount of joy fgrin

TheCunnyFunt Thu 27-Nov-14 22:55:45

I want a duck just so I can get it a little stocking grin actually I've wanted a duck for ages. My mum used to have a pet duck long before I was born, called Quackers.

Teeb Thu 27-Nov-14 22:58:36

A yellow rubber duck to float about next to them? I'm imaging a John Lewis penguin esque friendship blossoming with their yellow rubber companion.

EightFiftySix Thu 27-Nov-14 23:07:55

grin fits the bill pun intended? What a lovely idea.

CocktailQueen Thu 27-Nov-14 23:17:03

My dc want whistling ducks. Whipsnade zoo has some. And my dc just loved them. They make a lovely noise and have long legs so when they run they look v cute...

Love the idea of duck stockings!

attheendoftheday Fri 28-Nov-14 01:17:56

Of course the ducks have a duck house mummylion , but it is a mite muddy and duck pooey so I shall house the stockings (they need one each apparently) in the living room on their behalf.

70 I'm not sure about pond weedy plants, they mainly seem to eat anything I'm trying to nuture in my veg plot.

They would love a bag of slugs but my ideal christmas eve does not include grubbing around the garden for slugs after dark.
Toys sound sweet, but I'm imagining they would not be when covered in disgusting duck mess.

All those who want to eat my ducks - dp has been trying for years any has never convinced me.

attheendoftheday Fri 28-Nov-14 01:22:44

But thank you for the ideas!

I think the meal worm sweetie cone will work well.

DixieNormas Fri 28-Nov-14 01:24:11

A chick .? ����

MirrieDancer Fri 28-Nov-14 04:44:21

If I had a duck I would buy him his favourite duck-umentary on DVD & the new Drake album!

JillJ72 Fri 28-Nov-14 07:12:12

Nice to see like minded people grin

Each year our cat has a stocking from us and presents from his Grandies, and likewise I buy presents for my furry sister. Our chickens also get presents from us and their Grandies. Mealworms and corn are a big hit, as are the par-boiled veg peelings from Christmas Day dinner (and the cat gets a little bit of turkey).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now