Talk

Advanced search

Will multicoloured tree lights look naff?

(45 Posts)
SquattingNeville Mon 24-Nov-14 15:54:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bigbluestars Mon 24-Nov-14 15:57:48

I remember being fascinated by coloured christmas tree lights as a young child- I though they were the most amazing thing ever. So for the sake of your son I would get them. Children are the most important part of christmas,

ilovelamp82 Mon 24-Nov-14 15:59:42

I changed to white lights a few years ago. However my ds likes the coloured lights too, so I got him a little tree for his room last year and put coloured lights in there. It was lovely. Made me very nostalgic, took me back to my childhood. There's something about the having coloured Christmas lights on with no other lights that really warm up the room.

I say go for it. The kids are only young for a short time. You can change them back if you don't like it but I'm sure you will.

WhoLovesTheSun Mon 24-Nov-14 16:02:37

This is strange. I have not looked or posted on mumsnet for a while but now i have threads coming up relating to things i've looked up seperately.

SquattingNeville Mon 24-Nov-14 16:02:47

harryhausen Mon 24-Nov-14 16:06:30

I swapped from white to coloured a few years ago. The tree looks much more magical imo. The kids love it. I love the way the different colours bounce of the decs.

Never tinsel though.

MirandaWest Mon 24-Nov-14 16:07:18

My tree(s) always have multicoloured lights smile

MirandaWest Mon 24-Nov-14 16:07:52

And tinsel. And no 'theme' grin

MrsPepperMintonCandyCane Mon 24-Nov-14 16:10:07

White lights on twinkle, coloured on fixed, tinsel and a million random ornaments. I'm terribly excited that it's nearly tree time!!

CleanLinesSharpEdges Mon 24-Nov-14 16:12:19

I adore multicoloured lights! DH absolutely hates them, says they look cheap and naff. DS always gets the deciding vote, so the coloured lights usually go on.

SquattingNeville Mon 24-Nov-14 16:13:44

bigbluestars Mon 24-Nov-14 16:19:22

I use around 200 lights for a 6ft tree.

GrouchyKiwi Mon 24-Nov-14 16:20:39

Multi coloured lights and decorations are the most fun.

GrouchyKiwi Mon 24-Nov-14 16:22:09

Now I want to put up my tree today! Our little girls would be so delighted.

Must resist for another week!

SquattingNeville Mon 24-Nov-14 16:23:09

SquattingNeville Mon 24-Nov-14 16:23:57

minkymuskyslyoldstoaty Mon 24-Nov-14 16:24:58

coloured ones that are fairy lights look the most magical, they glow. colourful LED ones glare so much, they made my tree look black. you can get the ones with shades too, if you want go retro!

306235388 Mon 24-Nov-14 16:25:19

They can look nice but only, I think, if there are loads of them. We switched to them last year and I can't remember how many we used but a LOT.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 24-Nov-14 16:27:09

Multi-coloured lights, tinsel, no theme but all beautiful decorations. I love my tree grin

I think white lights with a colour theme is about as naff as you can get, but each to their own! smile

cupofsneeze Mon 24-Nov-14 16:30:21

We've just replaced our white twinkle, twinkle, shimmer, shimmer style lights with a pack of 300 Led multi coloured lights when we put the tree up yesterday.

It looks so much better, I'd forgotten how lovely coloured lights are.

I did draw the line at tinsel, thats a bit too retro for me!

PlumpingUpPartridge Mon 24-Nov-14 16:30:29

But.... surely multi coloured lights and garish colour clashes are the meaning of Christmas? confused

BathshebaDarkstone Mon 24-Nov-14 16:31:02

Probably, but I personally wouldn't give a shit! grin

minkymuskyslyoldstoaty Mon 24-Nov-14 16:35:35

here is ours from a few yrs ago, about 5 ft tree. not enough lights on it, but we have more now!
mine always looks like my mum did hers.

RiverTam Mon 24-Nov-14 16:35:40

oooh, no, coloured lights are great, especially with tinsel, so pretty and sparkly. Honestly, Christmas trees, unless in Fortnum's or Selfridges or, I don't know, the bloody Ritz, aren't meant to be tasteful!

(A woman I once worked with said that, when little, she and her sister weren't allowed to decorate the tree, as her mother wanted it all co-ordinated and tasteful. They were given a little tree in the kitchen to run riot with hmm.)

RiverTam Mon 24-Nov-14 16:36:40

nice hallway, minky! Tree's alright too grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now