Talk

Advanced search

Do children really need loads of 'stuff'

(8 Posts)
sammyjayneex Mon 24-Nov-14 12:04:05

So as its Christmas it's the time I feel down that I can't buy my kids all this stuff that other kids have. My children won't have a lot for Xmas due to money. Then i see all these Xmas lists and wondering if I'm a bad mum because my children don't have all this stuff in their bedrooms. Does it really matter? Should I be feeling bad?

FruitCakey Mon 24-Nov-14 12:12:24

No, you shouldn't.

It doesn't matter whether you can give them 3 gifts or 300, you can only do what you can do and your children will understand and appreciate that.
Christmas is a beautiful time of the year, it's about spending time with each other, loving each other, enjoying traditions (that don't have to cost) and appreciating a few small exchanges. Teach your children this is what is important and don't apologise for not being able to give your children copious amounts of toys. It's fine, it really is.

rastamam Mon 24-Nov-14 12:18:22

I think its much better they dont have loads of 'stuff' as then they can appreciate what they have and use their imagination more. Christmas shouldnt be about presents. Its crazy how much society has become so expectant with the need for 'stuff', most of the world have nothing. Advertising to children should be banned it really should. The only toy my Nan had as a child was a lemonade bottle made in to a dolly, and she turned out just fine! Society has gone mad for its consumerism. Saying that, Jesus did get some pretty fancy presents I guess!

TheAlias Mon 24-Nov-14 12:30:11

No they don't. I'd actually go so far as to say all that stuff is quite damaging. It's so hard not to do it though.

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Mon 24-Nov-14 12:31:54

No dont feel bad, christmas isnt about how many presents you get its about spending time with family.

weve had a rough couple of years and dsc got a few token gifts plus pj's, socks etc, my dp felt bad the first year as their mum is a great beliver in big extravagant gifts even if she does have to get into debt to pay for them, he soon realised that the children didnt care they much prefered the fact that dp spends time with them unlike their mum who sends them off with their new laptops so she doesnt have to bother with them (dsd's words not mine)

this year we are slightly better off and have been able to spend a little more but they still dont have great big piles.

Dss 11yrs - a bike ( bought in the sale and with extra money knocked off because its ex display), a skylander annual, bike helmet, selection box and stocking.

Dsd 16yrs - samsung tablet (came free with my phone upgrade), annual, case for tablet, selection box and stocking.

Ill probably get them some pj's too but thats it, there really isnt any need to have a huge stack of presents.

KnittedJimmyChoos Mon 24-Nov-14 12:33:50

well feel what you feel!

When I didn't have ££ and got from charity i didn't feel bad.

if you read threads on here you will see some like to give chocolate oranges and satsumas.
what have you done on previous years? will there be a marked difference this year?

if you have splurged before and are down to small token gifts perhaps warn them or say something but if its always been similar dont worry.

and what is loads of stuff?

Ironic on a thread a while ago about posting pics of presents on NM, some posters came on to say " wow what a disgustingly huge pile, I am only spending 350 on mine and thats on the ipads etc" shock.

when the piles didnt actually cost that much.

so do what is right for you and your family. someone will always have more and less.

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Mon 24-Nov-14 12:34:18

I also buy a new board game each year that we can all play together and we make a gingerbread house, in our house Christmas is about being together not how much we spend.

meglet Mon 24-Nov-14 12:41:14

No. I've reined it in the last couple of years, they're 8 and 6.

Stocking presents are all items that they need and / or can be used up quickly, shower gel, socks, drawing pads, chocolate coins etc. That way it doesn't add to the general clutter.

Main presents like lego can be added to the current lego storage. Couple of new books each, board / game or puzzle. And something which will amuse them long term, last year they did get a Wii to share but it didn't add to the stuff and we'll get a few years out of it. This year it will probably be a telescope. I don't have much money to spend so I'm trying to think long term in my xmas spending.

I refuse point blank to buy themed crap or action playsets because they will never be looked at again after xmas morning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now