Talk

Advanced search

What film for a three year old on Christmas Eve?

(29 Posts)
ThinkIveBeenHacked Mon 24-Nov-14 11:31:48

She has seen Polar Express, and Id like to go for something new.

She has a good attention span so will watch a full length movie, and also likes "non animated" - Wizard of Oz, Mary Poppins etc.

What film should we go for?

rocketjam Mon 24-Nov-14 11:36:47

Happy Feet is funny and very sweet, the old cartoon versions of Jungle Book, Robin Hood, Beauty and the Beast, Peter Pan, or the obvious, Frozen? Toy story 1 would be nice at Christmas (toy story 3 is a bit scary especially towards the end and my 7 year old got very upset by it!)

As for non animated, we loved Matilda (quite old now) but one of the characters is quite scary.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Mon 24-Nov-14 11:39:53

Oh she hasnt seen Happy Feet - has seen most Classic Disney as we have a lot of them (and the Pixar ones too). Shot ourselves in the foot showing her most of the films already.

Would The Grinch be suitable? She has no fear (yet) so Mrs Trunchbull wouldnt scare her, but I do want something that "feels" Christmassy.

Next year and onwards I thought Home Alone / Miracle on 34th st etc but think she is too little for them atm.

Tallulaxx Mon 24-Nov-14 11:40:16

Father christmas Raymond Briggs!

CockBollocks Mon 24-Nov-14 11:48:38

Arthur Christmas is just lovely, one of my favourites.

SpockSmashesScissors Mon 24-Nov-14 11:58:35

Another vote for Arthur Christmas

ThinkIveBeenHacked Mon 24-Nov-14 12:04:02

Excellent thanks! Not heard of Arthur Christmas so will look that one up.

DillydollyRIP Mon 24-Nov-14 12:09:21

Yes, Arthur Christmas is lovely. Maybe elf?

PedantMarina Mon 24-Nov-14 12:12:55

Muppet Christmas Carol is brilliant, and some catchy tunes.

Grinch is good (the old animated one) - it's short enough to hold even a 3-year-old's attention.

SockDrawer Mon 24-Nov-14 12:18:35

I LOVE Muppets Christmas Carol! But maybe save it until next year, as it does have a slightly scary grim reaper muppet in.

Mummyboo30 Mon 24-Nov-14 12:52:07

Muppets Christmas carol is good but as sock says it could be a bit scary.
Mickey's once upon a christmas (or twice for the sequel!)
The snowman, Arthur Christmas, Elf is good fun too!

pregnantpause Mon 24-Nov-14 12:55:47

Arthur Christmas. The best modern Christmas film- holds up against all the classics.

Sootgremlin Mon 24-Nov-14 14:43:01

Thanks for starting this, was thinking about this same thing and have ordered Arthur Christmas grin

bberry Mon 24-Nov-14 14:45:52

Elf - love it!!

Will check out Arthur Christmas....

duplodancer Mon 24-Nov-14 14:55:45

Mine loves Curious George A very Monkey Christmas and The Flight before Christmas smile

bryonyelf Mon 24-Nov-14 15:47:22

Definitely Arthur Christmas but another favourite here is mickeys once and twice upon a Christmas.

ilovelamp82 Mon 24-Nov-14 15:56:16

My ds will be 3 on boxing day and is obsessed with Elf. I'm obsessed with Christmas and thought I was going to have to coerce my ds's into watching Christmas films. After watching it for the first time, he now asks to watch it every day.

I never thought the day would come when I didn't want to watch elf, but I fear it's approaching.

kiwidreamer Mon 24-Nov-14 16:00:56

Arthur Christmas all the way!

Sundaedelight Mon 24-Nov-14 16:05:34

Annie - very popular here, lots of songs and dances to copy. End is a bit scary though.

harryhausen Mon 24-Nov-14 16:09:38

Arthur Christmas is great.

I also vote for Muppets Christmas Carol too - such a classic.

We always used to watch Chitty Chitty Bang Bang at Xmas.

Galaxymum Mon 24-Nov-14 16:39:07

Arthur Christmas. I adore this film! It has such a lovely Christmas message about the magic of Christmas and it is very funny. It is our Christmas Eve film.

irishe Mon 24-Nov-14 16:49:27

Some great suggestions, in our house it is the wizard of Oz, but it does have some seriously scary bits.

JohnCusacksWife Mon 24-Nov-14 17:05:34

I just love Arthur Christmas but would a 3 yr old get it?

oobedobe Mon 24-Nov-14 19:29:30

I have a folder full of Christmas movies on our media player I have been adding some every year since DD1 was 2. Here are some suggestions...

Winnie the Pooh DVD called Merry Pooh Year which is good for a 3 year old.
Also the stop-motion animation Rudolph the Rednose Reindeer (1964) - my kids love it.
Also agree with Curious George a very monkey christmas.

Some others...
101 Dalmations (animated one) (not that Christmassy though)
Mickey's Christmas Carol
Mickey's Magical Christmas - snowed in at the house of mouse
Prep and Landing
Thomas and Friends Merry Winter Wish
Ice Age Mammoth Christmas (short movie)

Our favourites (for young kids) are probably Arthur Christmas, Rudolph and Polar Express

My 6 year old is really into the talking dog movies, such as Santa Paws, santa Buddies etc but not sure if they would appeal to a 3 year old?

Munchkin08 Thu 27-Nov-14 10:52:41

Just bought Arthur Christmas in Lidl for £4.99.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now