Talk

Advanced search

I'm thinking of brining the turkey this year, what sort of sized bucket do I need?

(19 Posts)
quietbatperson Sun 23-Nov-14 15:05:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 23-Nov-14 15:45:33

Nigella uses 6 litres of water for a 5.5kg turkey.

What sized turkey are you planning? (I think most buckets are fairly standard sized - or buy a trug? IIRC they're cheaper and they're shallower so you can sit the turkey flat and not have any poking above the water level)

quietbatperson Sun 23-Nov-14 16:00:03

LucasNorthsTwiglets Sun 23-Nov-14 16:02:26

I don't think the amount of brine is crucial, the turkey just has to be covered in it. so just get a bucket that fits your turkey with several inches left at the top.

HolgerDanske Sun 23-Nov-14 16:03:26

We tried nigella's brining recipe a couple years ago and we all hated it. Both the flavour and the texture of the meat were horrible in our collective opinion. Thankfully we'd done it as a trial run for thanksgiving so we were able to just do the traditional proper roast for the actual Christmas dinner.

A lot of people seem to think it's brilliant, though, so I guess you could give it a go. But due to our experience if I'd suggest a trial run.

We just used a clean plastic bucket that we'd bought specifically for the purpose. That would depend on the size of your turkey.

quietbatperson Sun 23-Nov-14 16:19:03

LucasNorthsTwiglets Sun 23-Nov-14 16:22:44

I thought it was lovely. It's definitely a different taste to normal turkey though and it has the disadvantage of not being able to use the liquid that comes from it as it's too salty.

CrockedPot Sun 23-Nov-14 16:23:15

It's fantastic, I've been using that method for a few years now and wouldn't do it any other way, I use my old baby bath, and keep it in the pantry (which is fridge cold)

quietbatperson Sun 23-Nov-14 16:31:07

HoldMeCloserTonyDanza Sun 23-Nov-14 17:22:46

I use one of the big sizes of this one from Ikea: www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S09850874/

StuntNun Sun 23-Nov-14 17:34:28

I put the turkey in the cool box to brine it, then just had to wash the cool box out thoroughly afterwards.

LittleBearPad Sun 23-Nov-14 17:43:18

It's lovely and I eoukdnt do otherwise now.

I usually buy a big standard mop bucket sized bucket from the supermarket for a turkey. It gets put in the boot of the car overnight as there's no way it would fit in the fridge.

LucasNorthsTwiglets Mon 24-Nov-14 08:21:41

Batperson (love your name!) yes, the juices from the turkey are too salty to use. You can use a bit (I think Nigella says 2 or 3 tbsps?) but you can't use it all. That's the only drawback for me as I really like the taste of the brined turkey.

quietbatperson Mon 24-Nov-14 14:34:04

IHaveBrilloHair Mon 24-Nov-14 14:39:28

I'm doing it for Thanksgiving this week, so I'll let you know what we think, we love brined fried chicken though.

quietbatperson Wed 26-Nov-14 18:40:13

DilysMoon Wed 26-Nov-14 18:43:41

I brined for the first time last year as per Nigella and had high hopes. We were all disappointed though, couldn't tell the difference.

StuntNun Wed 26-Nov-14 19:33:05

I make the stock for the gravy from the giblets as per Delia Smith. Much easier all round as you can make it earlier on in the process.

LadyintheRadiator Wed 26-Nov-14 19:35:40

I bought a big plastic box with a lid...which now houses lego smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now