Talk

Advanced search

Help! Main present for 4.5yr old

(17 Posts)
tinkitonki Sun 23-Nov-14 10:28:22

Gosh so stuck. The nearly 2 yr old is sorted, her main present is the ASDA dolls house.
They both then have a small pile of stuff, in her case a stamper set, a top, a smaller version of gadget robot and some ben and holly figures.
He has so far a top, captain America and iron man dolls and a remote control lightening mc queen car.
They will both get loads from family so this is more than enough from us plus stockings!
However he needs a main present and sadly due to the size of the dolls house it needs to be 'big'
Lego, marble run, and superman coming from other sources. He has so far expressed an interest in texta or the zoomer dinosaur thing but I think he's too young to be interested for more than 5 minutes so I'm stuck.
Not really into playmobil or small world type stuff, likes lego, dinosaurs and animals.
I'm stumped.
Any ideas gratefully received

schmeegle Sun 23-Nov-14 11:03:07

That's a tough one. I was going to suggest marblerun.

How about a garage?

schmeegle Sun 23-Nov-14 11:03:57

Or vet/doctor trolley?

Clueing4looks Sun 23-Nov-14 11:05:55

What about a telescope? My nephew just turned 4 and I got one for his birthday, he absolutely loves it. Was from debenhams, around £20 ish, called the land and sky telescope.

Skyland Sun 23-Nov-14 11:09:41

What about the imaginext batcave or castle. These are fairly substantial and have good play value.

Clueing4looks Sun 23-Nov-14 11:10:30

Found it cheaper on amazon with free shipping

www.amazon.co.uk/Discovery-Land-Sky-Telescope/dp/B00EDU7PRE

BellaVida Sun 23-Nov-14 11:14:18

What about a wooden castle? GLTC do a nice one and Melissa & Doug do a big folding one, plus cheap sets of wooden figures.

BellaVida Sun 23-Nov-14 11:20:38

Just thought of something else. Does he have a playmat? You can get big ones like rugs. Could be used to play with cars, animals, dinosaurs etc. Amazon do a reversible one with roads one side and farm/countryside on the other.
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005SH1YIC/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=556244467&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B004W0CSZ4&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=08DGVRFCZW0R4TEXS7MC

Justanotherbiscuit Sun 23-Nov-14 11:21:37

A keyboard? Bosch workstation? Easel?

tinkitonki Sun 23-Nov-14 11:30:07

Thanks. Some good ideas here. He had a telescope for his birthday but otherwise that would have been perfect. Likewise he has a garage and more cars we will ever possibly need!
I have gone back and forth re the batcave skyland, worried we will be a bit superhero heavy with the action figures and I think my dad has gone for the lego batman stuff.

Castle is a good shout though BellaVida, like the idea of a folding one as well smile
And a doctors trolley has potential too, he loves his drs kit and it is looking a little worse for wear, he's had it since he was 3 so could be due an upgrade.
Back to google I go smile

RedButtonhole Sun 23-Nov-14 11:31:18

If he hasn't got one, I'd go for a castle of some sort.

DS got the Imaginext one from his grandparents two years ago and it is the one toy he has never gotten bored of, I've never been able to top it.

I think it was around £60-£70 but you can get much cheaper ones, lovely wooden ones from amazon. I think anything which doesn't have a fixed purpose is good.

My DS has asked for a Texta puppy but the reviews are crap, I agree with you that they're not a good idea.

RedButtonhole Sun 23-Nov-14 11:33:09

The other good thing about the castle is that it would be a similar looking present in terms of size and style to the dolls house, if you're trying to keep them the same.

BrieAndChilli Sun 23-Nov-14 11:35:30

Scooter
Wooden train set
Science set
Leapfrog kids smart watch thing
Playmobile pirate ship
Kids camera

tinkitonki Sun 23-Nov-14 15:08:40

Thanks again smile
BrieAndChilli he has everything you listed bar a camera.
This is the trouble with a large extended family and they are the youngest, the only ones left to buy toys for really so we have lots of stuff.
I think a castle is the way to go, size really does matter when you are 4! Thanks again smile

BrieAndChilli Sun 23-Nov-14 15:52:24

Ds2 is the youngest of 3 and we have an extended family who buy lots for the kids. It's really hard to think of things to buy him, he just had his 4th birthday and literally all he got is wooden train stuf and thomas trains. DH was a bit 'hmm' about him getting just trains but he plays with his train track everyday so I would rather he had a few expensive for the size trains than lots of plastic big stuff that will be a big hit wonder.

BrieAndChilli Sun 23-Nov-14 15:53:58

We have a playmobile dragon castle which he loves, I got it off free cycle when ds1 was little and it's been well played with with all of mine. Ds2 got the pirate ship last Xmas and he plays with that too (plus can go in the bath)

FixItUpChappie Sun 23-Nov-14 17:23:08

Well my 4 year old is getting....

- a Dynamite Dominos set (Hape) and Duplo Batcave for his mains. I'm also getting my two a Sands Alive set to share, though I think I'm going to skip the play table and just stick the stuff in a sealable container from IKEA.

oh...also I picked him up a magna tile starter set. I know my mom is getting him a Lincoln Logs set - maybe too many construction orientated things for him but it's an idea

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now