Talk

Advanced search

What age did your kids first see Santa?

(19 Posts)
Funghoul Fri 21-Nov-14 21:05:56

Just that really, when do you think is a good age for the first trip? I think dd is a bit young for it she'll only be 19m but a couple of people have mentioned it and now I'm second guessing myself.

Guitargirl Fri 21-Nov-14 21:10:57

DD was 11 months blush.

Totally for our benefit rather than hers but still, it was fun!

Wilf83 Fri 21-Nov-14 21:13:15

I'm taking our dd & she'll be 8 months. Totally more for our benefit but she'll enjoy the day out.

It's up to you what you want to do- just ignore everyone else.

Funghoul Fri 21-Nov-14 21:19:28

I think she'll enjoy it, she likes twinkly lights and anyone who talks to her! Wasn't sure if I was being a bit pfb about it all but I want to be the one who takes her for her first time and since I only work a 3 day week I can take advantage of the mid week lull! Thanks going to look at bookings now!

Oldraver Fri 21-Nov-14 21:34:20

I think nearly three as his birthday is just after Christmas. Last year we took him to Santa Steaming, he was 7 and there were just a few kids of his age. There were mostly 3-4-5-6 but surprisingly lots of babies.

I think lots of parents are impatient to take too young DC's who havn't got a clue whats going on to these type of things. I think it spoils it for older DC's frankly

Itscurtainsforyou Fri 21-Nov-14 21:41:35

This will be our first year, he is 4.

mum2boys3girls Fri 21-Nov-14 21:41:38

All of mine have seen Santa since they were born grin

youmakemydreams Fri 21-Nov-14 22:08:59

9 weeks old. We were passing by him on a weekday in early December and my mum suggested it. She would have been happy to pay to get a picture.
Santa wouldn't hear of it and was thoroughly delighted about getting a wee cuddle from a tiny baby and having the honour of being her first Santa visit. grin still love that photo now.

CaisleanDraiochta Fri 21-Nov-14 22:21:02

DD was 8 months old, but to be fair that was just one of the dads at the local baby group in a very badly fitting (he was 6ft+ and skinny unlike the typical image) Santa suit. she really couldn't have cared less though, but happily sat on his knee and pulled at the fake beard while I took the obligatory phot of PFB's first visit to Santa.

Poor DS, being my NSB (neglected second born), I really can't remember when his first visit was. Taking him definitely wasn't high on my 'to do list' with two kids under 2 that Christmas. In fact his first visit might have been when they had a Santa visit once he had started nursery blush

They made up for it in the years afterwards though. When they were both aged about 4/5 years old they must have seen about 6 different Santas in the space of just 3 or 4 weeks!

Funghoul Fri 21-Nov-14 22:26:00

Well, I'm going to check out prices. If it's ££££ then it's a no because it would be a waste of money. On one hand I think she's too young but on the other I really do think she'd like it.

poolomoomon Fri 21-Nov-14 22:46:19

Took mine since their first Christmases. Last year we did the Santa train instead. this year not bothering for the first time because it just seems like a waste of money and I don't really want to get into the whole "One of Santa's helpers dresses up as Santa so you can tell him what you want and he can pass the message on" thing now the elder two are certainly understanding things more. It's obviously not the real santa, his beard is quite clearly fake and he's far too busy to sit in a grotto in Leeds all day wink. I just find the whole thing a bit pointless really!

bigbluestars Fri 21-Nov-14 22:52:32

Never. I did attempt on several ocassions but my children were always deeply suspicious of Santas- they always felt something was not quite right so we never got to within 20 feet on one!

Alexaa Fri 21-Nov-14 23:48:11

DTs were 7 months old! Then again, they do have older siblings. DS was just over two when he saw santa for the first time.

MagpieCursedTea Sat 22-Nov-14 00:09:58

6 weeks blush
DS was quite small as well so we've got a picture of Santa looking terrified and holding a tiny sleeping newborn.
It was lovely though!

TwoLittleTerrors Sat 22-Nov-14 09:04:52

We went when DD1 was 1y9m and she was so scared of Santa she cried and cried. Then we noticed she didn't like anyone dressed up in big suits. We just came back from the centre parcs grotto and this is the first time she enjoyed it. She is 3.5yo. She also been saying Santa bought me this and that since early November. I think yours too young really. Unless you actually want it for yourself. i don't think she would understand Santa.

Ownerofalittlechimp Sat 22-Nov-14 16:33:51

My Mil took ds for his first time, was taking him for a wall & passed our local gc. Then tried to convince me & oh he said "ooh sanny" when he saw him. Ds was 4.5mths at the time!

Am taking him to story time with Santa on 23rd, he's 2 now do hopefully will enjoy it.

ftmsoon Sat 22-Nov-14 20:36:15

I am taking DD on a Santa Special train ride and she will be 7 months. Only because my DH will be driving the train! Probably wouldn't bother otherwise.

KnittedJimmyChoos Sat 22-Nov-14 21:55:07

they always felt something was not quite right so we never got to within 20 feet on one!

so many about and in garden centers now...we were just in there for a play and had un wittingly walked into a santa meet and greet and was totally fake...dd saw through it and she said it was just a man dressed up, I said yes.

we are taking them for first time to longleat this year and dd has already said " but its not the real one is it" i said...all the little santa meets NO, however, at the more important ones, the real one does take over for a bit, so he can meet the children, so he might be the real one, I guess we will sense it when we get there...

I think if there was less emphasis on the list generally and more emphasis on.....I am going to get you some surprises....it would be better all round. grin

KnittedJimmyChoos Sat 22-Nov-14 21:55:56

2 and 8

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now