Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone else's child not like Lego?

(18 Posts)
Hurricaneinateacup Fri 21-Nov-14 08:07:05

Ds is 5 and a half and has no interest at all. Well, that's not quite true. He has a box of random pieces which he quite likes to make his own (unrecognisable) structures with but he has no interest in the sets at all and I strongly doubt he could do them anyway. Although I don't know for sure because he won't even try.

He always gets Lego for his birthday from friends and again at christmas because most people I think see it as a safe bet for a 5 year old boy. I normally regift it to children I know enjoy it - which in fairness is most of ds's friends.

Does anyone else's child of a similar age just not 'get' lego?

Ragwort Fri 21-Nov-14 08:09:32

Mine never did ! He is 13 now so no longer an issue but he also used to be given box after box of Lego by generous relatives and friends every birthday and Christmas - all of which ended up in charity shops. grin

Interestingly he has always slightly struggled with 'shape recognition' in Maths (don't know the correct name for it) so I wonder if the two are linked in some way?

Hurricaneinateacup Fri 21-Nov-14 08:15:06

Ds is pretty spot on with shapes but never liked jigsaws even though he could do them.

vikjul Fri 21-Nov-14 08:59:55

Mine (dd6 and ds9) have close to zero interest in actual Lego sets, but like building their own stuff with random pieces and building/mixing minifigures etc. Perhaps if you throw away the instructions and just give him the bricks to add some variety to what he already has he might enjoy them?

But I know that several of ds's friends have had no interest in Lego, not at all uncommon I think.

HiawathaDidntBotherTooMuch Fri 21-Nov-14 09:10:56

Mine. He is nearly 7 and has no interest whatsoever. He finds it difficult when we visit friends with similar age boys, as Lego is basically all that they are into. He is very sociable, but can't share that interest. I have lots of sets here, and some basic bricks too, but he just isn't interested. I'm surprised, as he still lives duplo.

marne2 Fri 21-Nov-14 09:17:34

One of my dd's loves lego sets, she has been building them since she was 4 and is good at following the instructions, she's now 8 and is getting a big set for Christmas. Her sister is 10 and is useless at building it, she will build free style but nothing that big, she has asked for a set for Christmas but I will end up building it for her.

jThompson Fri 21-Nov-14 10:09:51

Neither of mine were that interested at 5. even the set aimed at that age had some pretty fiddly bits and they just got too frustrated trying to put them together.

However my 10 year old will now build some fairly complex models, both with and without instructions and my 8 year old is enjoying it much more too.

DataColour Fri 21-Nov-14 10:49:51

My 6yr old DS is interested in the sets and asks for the Star wars ones especially, and he got given a lot of them for his birthday. but he played with them for a day or so and he's lost interest already. We've got a mazzive box of lego with all the parts you could ever need and those building mats too. But unless I sit down with him and engage him in and join in with the building, he is not really that into it. When he does actually engage with it he does make some interesting stuff.
Sometimes I think we just have too much of it and it is overwhelming. When in the past I have taken a few pieces in a box for playing on a train journey etc, it was much better, perhaps due to the lack of anything else to do, but with a few pieces he got really involved in and made stuff for awhile.

marne2 Fri 21-Nov-14 11:31:09

We have tons of the stuff. Dd also tends to make the models once then they get broken up and added to the tubs of lego we have lying around, from time to time they get bored with it so I pack it away for a few months, they always seem to go back to it when it comes back out.

Lilicat1013 Fri 21-Nov-14 11:54:08

I don't think my son's will be in to Lego, we have Duplo and that has been kind of a failure toy. My eldest picks out all the toy animals and only plays with those, my youngest will ensure none of the bricks are stuck to each other then only play with the vehicles.

My eldest son is autistic and my youngers is being assessed at the moment so that probably doesn't help.

CoffeeChocolateWine Fri 21-Nov-14 12:29:04

My DS is almost 6 and he is getting more and more into Lego but I must admit we've forced it on him a bit! He does love receiving the 'sets' but we usually end up putting it together for him and then he loses a bit of interest. But he does love sitting down with a box and making his own creations...I think most of his friends of similar age prefer this too.

marne2 Fri 21-Nov-14 13:04:38

Iilicat, my dd's are autistic, dd2 is very visual which is why she likes the instructions ( pictures and no words), she also likes the fact she doesn't have to play it with others. Dd1 on the other hand is useless with visual instructions and her motor skills are not great, she gets fed up easily so can't sit and complete a lego set.

shushpenfold Fri 21-Nov-14 13:08:44

My DS never liked Lego (neither did DDs) and stared at sets with a 'what do you expect me to do with that?' face on. grin but as their father is the most non 'work with your hands' person on the entire planet I was never that surprised. Having said all of that, my DS is now a dab hand at cooking, which he just finds easy....who knew!

MrsBungle Fri 21-Nov-14 13:11:25

My 5 yr old dd doesn't like Lego. My 2 yr old ds quite likes duplo.

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Fri 21-Nov-14 13:11:31

My two DDs have a large box of randoms. THey have both expressed a strong dislike for the so-called "girls lego" as they want to make houses and shops and vehicles of their own designs. They don't like sets either. They are 10 and 6.

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Fri 21-Nov-14 13:12:13

DS loves lego, but probably only got into building sets around his 5th birthday.

On the other hand, he has no interest in playmobil, which upsets me greatly!

claraschu Fri 21-Nov-14 13:14:03

My 3 never liked Lego.

WhispersOfWickedness Fri 21-Nov-14 13:21:02

My DS cannot see the point of it at all! We have a box of my old lego, so he will very occasionally build something random. The other day, he carried one of these random creations to DH to show him and dropped it on the way. He was quite upset, DH pointed out that that was the point of lego, you could rebuild it again. DS was aghast that he would have to build it AGAIN! hmmgrin
He does enjoy Playmobil though smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now