Talk

Advanced search

Christmas Outings

(13 Posts)
JacksLady Thu 20-Nov-14 21:24:24

I need some ideas please!!
Last year I hopefully started a family tradition. Me, My 2 DD`s-ages 14 & 15-my mum & my sister went out for the day to Chatsworth House, which was all decorated up the theme being The Lion, The Witch & the Wardrobe.
It went ok, the normal grumblings of teenagers, 14 year old saying she hated it the other day but last year saying it was okhmm 15 year old saying last year it was boring but the other day saying it was brillhmm
So, this year, I`m going to drag them out with me again with their Grandma & Auntie, but to where??
It doesn`t have to be a country house, museum ect, but I do want it to be christmassysmile
Can anyone recommend anywhere, or suggest anywhere?
TIA

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 20-Nov-14 22:26:50

Not Kew Gardens Lighted Walk- we took our DC (who will be 12.6 and 15 this year) it was raining (ok, they can't help that but they knew it was outside) , lots of hanging around to start. Not alot in the way of lights.
Very uneven muddy paths. sad

This year we're going to Harry Potter World, I'm hoping for lovely trees and candles .

MegBusset Thu 20-Nov-14 22:27:52

where in the country are you?

KnittedJimmyChoos Thu 20-Nov-14 22:29:14

Jack I went to chatsworth once and was blown away I adored it ( at xmas) was it good?

Harry Potter sounds wonderful 70 we are going next year...looks fab.
waddesdon manor is dressed up at xmas too...

Chillycamper Thu 20-Nov-14 22:48:27

How about a Christmas market like the one at Bath? I think there is a website with all Christmas German markets in UK.

If you chose Bath You could visit the spa or the Fashion museum while you are there. My girls enjoyed it although they had a Princess Diana dresses exhibition on.

www.museumofcostume.co.uk/

We've also enjoyed show a musical or pantomime. One year we won tickets to see Babes in the wood with John Barrowman. Everyone enjoyed it.

Chillycamper Thu 20-Nov-14 22:54:11

Also harry Potter world worked really well as a family day out with kids aged from 7 to 17. Even the teens melted and kept saying "look at this!" Really interesting. More a museum dedicated to the making of the films than a theme park. Loads of the sets, props, animation, animatronics with ride a Broomstick etc.
Watch out for the gift shop though - ££££ - best to have budget/strategy planned.

JacksLady Fri 21-Nov-14 06:55:20

Thanks for the suggestions so farflowers
I am in Leicester, but I have a car & can get a train to wherever we end up going!!
We`ve done Harry Potter World-twice!-already & yes it was amazing both timesgringrin I would like to go again to see it all christmassy but my mum & sister would hate it there.
KnittedJimmyChoos Chatsworth at christmas is amazing I`ve been twice now with my mum & sister(kids only once last year), it`s a different theme every year, first time I went it was 12 days of christmas, last year Narnia & I think this year its Alice in Wonderland

KnittedJimmyChoos Fri 21-Nov-14 10:09:49

Think I am going to go to chatsworth next year. I think its very special and harry potter, glad you think thats amazing too!

is there anywhere in lakes? i think someone posted about some amazing looking show in norfolk area once?

MegBusset Fri 21-Nov-14 17:11:07

Thursford Christmas Show in Norfolk might be what you're thinking of. I was going to say Blickling Hall in Norfolk too, they have Christmas event on every weekend in December.

chestnut100 Sat 22-Nov-14 08:59:10

For those who have been to chatsworth; do you think a 2.5 and 4.5 year old would enjoy and be enough to keep them entertained?

clumber Sat 22-Nov-14 20:50:09

Just been to Doddington Hall today, smaller, more low key
than Chatsworth but lovely decorations and friendly staff.

Very nice cafe and farm shop plus Bauble Barn for browsing.

Was struggling to feel Christmassy but Doddington sorted me out.

lilyloo Sat 22-Nov-14 21:02:29

Stockeld Park at Wetherby is a great day out for all ages and very christmassy.

JacksLady Sat 22-Nov-14 22:23:40

chestnut100 Yes I think the 2 little ones will be entertainedsmile
The theme this year is Alice in Wonderland, ideal I think for kids!!
Buy your tickets online though before you go, you can jump most of the que, saving you loads of time with 2 little ones. We qued for about an hour last year while people jumped the que who`d bought tickets onlineenvy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now