Talk

Advanced search

Chapter book suggestions for 5 year old girl

(11 Posts)
DamselNotInHerDress Thu 20-Nov-14 20:27:41

Any advice out there?
I have picked up Fantastic Mr Fox as I remember my own dds loving it at that sort of age, and struggling to think of any more.
Obviously not heavy stories and she doesn't read them herself, her parents read a few chapters an evening.
Also, while I've got you here, and ideas for a 70 year old woman I usually but scarves for? She's diabetic so no chocolates or sweets!
Tia smile

mydaftlass Thu 20-Nov-14 20:32:38

Pippi longstocking
my Naughty Little Sister

And nice candles for the 70 year old

pookamoo Thu 20-Nov-14 20:36:33

This thread will help you out on the books question

Nice notepaper/ letter writing set for the 70 year old. Maybe add some stamps and a couple of nice pens, too?

PesoPenguin Thu 20-Nov-14 20:36:54

Have a look on the Book People website. I'm not sure what girls are into as I have a 5yo ds and his tastes lay firmly with Horrid Henry!

DamselNotInHerDress Thu 20-Nov-14 20:46:17

Brilliant suggestions, thanks.
I will have a look at the linked thread too.
Also, good shout re the candle. Maybe also one of those diffuser things? She's quite trendy (not that I think diffusers are trendy!).
I have older dds now and am completely out of touch with what captures a 5yo attention.

CoffeeChocolateWine Thu 20-Nov-14 20:55:48

The Magic Faraway Tree, Enid Blyton. My 5yo niece is reading it at the moment (or her parents are reading it to her) and she is loving it.

BikeRunSki Thu 20-Nov-14 20:59:08

More Roald Dahl books. The protagonist of "Matilda" is a 4/5 year old girl, so that could work well.

SylvaniansKeepGettingHoovered Thu 20-Nov-14 22:34:18

My 5yr old daughter likes:

My Naughty Little Sister
My Naughty Little Sister & Bad Harry
Horrid Henry
Anna Hibiscus
Charlotte's Webb
Winnie the Pooh

1122christy Sun 23-Nov-14 17:15:44

My son (6) got the roald dahl boxset at a good price from the book people.
He also has faraway tree series, Enid blyton - secret island. And secret seven. And the wishing chair series.
David Walliams.
How to train your dragon series.
The first Harry Potter book.

Fantail Sun 23-Nov-14 18:12:04

Fantastic Mr Fox was going to be my first suggestion.

What about The BFG or George's Marvellous Medicine?

For 70 year old - some gloves, nice fluffy socks, nice tea bags or coffee, hand cream?

Leeds2 Sun 23-Nov-14 18:33:33

Iggy & Me is a modern day version of My Naughty Little Sister.

Milly Molly Mandy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now