Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone make a Christmas cake without alcohol?

(9 Posts)
SilverStars Thu 20-Nov-14 14:56:03

Hi I cannot stand the taste of alcohol when pregnant so wondered if anyone had made a fruit cake for Christmas that did not need alcohol and was successful?

FelixFelix Thu 20-Nov-14 15:26:06

The recipe I used this year was called 'as-you-like-it Christmas cake' and the recipe called for either whatever alcohol you fancied or you could use brewed tea. I think it would work well and the recipe had good reviews. It was a BBC Good Food recipe if you want to google it (sorry I'm on the app so can't link)

MsAspreyDiamonds Thu 20-Nov-14 20:15:56

orange juice works in fruit cakes as does earl grey tea.

StrumpersPlunkett Thu 20-Nov-14 20:53:41

Ms Asprey got there first, I use orange juice instead

SilverStars Thu 20-Nov-14 21:06:11

Oh thanks. Liking earl grey and orange juice which is helpful!

If you use tea/juice how long will the cake last for? That is how early can I make it!

Archfarchnad Thu 20-Nov-14 21:09:27

Can you get alcohol-free punch in the UK? I'm in Germany and when the DC were much younger I always used to feed the cake with a bottle of punch designed for kids. It tastes quite fruity and spicy so it goes perfectly with a fruit cake. Now the DC are older I just bung on brandy like everyone else!

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Thu 20-Nov-14 21:19:45

here's the bbc good food as you like it recipe. I use it (with booze though) and it's always turned out well. Cooking time takes a bit longer I find, but that could just be my oven!

disneymum3 Thu 20-Nov-14 21:24:00

Substitute with:
Tea of any kind
Apple juice
Orange juice

SilverStars Thu 20-Nov-14 21:24:58

Thanks. Going to get the ingredients this weekend now and I see that can still make in advance which is helpful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now