Talk

Advanced search

DSi DS Lite 3DS

(8 Posts)
MrsPiddlewink Thu 20-Nov-14 12:15:42

Giving in to DS's request for a DS this year. He's 6.

I've not a clue where to start. Budget of £60 - can I get one for that? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

traviata Thu 20-Nov-14 13:03:51

You will probably have to look at pre-owned for that budget.

We have a DSi which has been very popular because of the camera - you can take photos then distort them, lots of fun. I would say for a 6y/o the DSi is the way to go. However, bear in mind that Nintendo won't release new games in a format compatible with the DSi (because they want everyone to upgrade). There are plenty of games available for the DSi though.

People say that the xl is too big for small hands.

Try HUKD for good offers.

mumofthemonsters808 Thu 20-Nov-14 13:14:32

I think you will struggle with that budget, I've shopped around and the best I could find for a new 3D DSI was Tesco, I think it was £149 and came preloaded with a game. DS currently has his sister's old 2D DS and loves sneaking on her XL 3D, he is only 4 and manages the size of the console fine but he has had a lot of practice. Don't be put off from buying the used consoles which are a lot cheaper we have had them in the past and they have been fine. It's awful when you are buying something that you know so little about, I've been there many times. Good luck.

thegreylady Thu 20-Nov-14 15:56:33

There are lots on ebay within that budget and much less.

MrsPiddlewink Thu 20-Nov-14 16:17:26

Thanks for the replies.

Does this m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nintendo-DSi-White-Bundle-Includes-Pokemon-White-NDS-Handheld-Console-/121478715614
Look too good to be true?

traviata Thu 20-Nov-14 16:30:20

I have bought from 'I want one of those' before, and they are very good and totally legit. I didn't know they had an outlet store. I think it looks fine.

jThompson Thu 20-Nov-14 16:58:56

I'd skip the DS lite, it's now quite a few versions ago and missing some of the features of the newer ones. It will play the older gameboy advance games but unless you already have some that's not much of a bonus.

DS has the DSi and has been pretty happy, the camera is a bit hit here too, especially playing round adding silly moustaches and stuff to the pictures he's taken. The DSi can also read from an SD card, so we loaded one up with some of his audio books to keep him occupied in the car.

It can't play the newest 3DS games, but there are plenty of good games around so it's not been too much of an issue. There have only been a couple of titles which have interested him that he can't play.

I'd defiantly look at pre owned, game and places like that sometimes have them in so you can have a good look before buying. When I looked they seemed to have a set price though regardless of the amount of wear. It was worth asking to see a couple to compare.

EddieVeddersfoxymop Thu 20-Nov-14 18:27:45

Just a voice of caution here - we bought a pre owned DS for my DD last year. She was with us, knew about and chose "her" one from Game. Got it home, battery wouldn't hold a charge. So I did a 40 mile round trip to get another one, took it home, wouldn't read any game cards. Back I went, again. This time I just wanted my money back and I gave her my old one instead....but while I was in the shop, I saw consoles being traded in and sold immediately without any checks at all.

So, yes, Game were good at exchanging the faulty ones but it was an absolute disaster and a waste of time - I was really surprised to see consoles basically taken in with one hand and sold with the other......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now