Talk

Advanced search

Gift ideas for a 2 year old - out of ideas!

(24 Posts)
SaltySeaBird Wed 19-Nov-14 19:54:57

Hi

I've got a two year old (was two in October) and she got lots of presents which was lovely. My and DH come from fairly large families and everyone is now asking what to get her for Christmas.

I've said to a few relatives about vouchers/money towards an annual pass at a place we go nearby which they were happy with and I suggested to another relative to get vouchers for clothes but they weren't keen and wanted to get a toy or similar for her.

Now MIL and my DM are both asking too and want to get "one large present and a couple of small things" but I have absolutely no idea. Lovely situation to be in, as a family we are all very spoilt.

Me and DH have got her a micro-scooter. She already has a trike, easel, rocking horse, kitchen, train set and countless Happyland figures.

What more could a two year old want? I don't want them to waste money and did suggest a donation into her savings account for when she is older along with something small but that fell on deaf ears.

Leeds2 Wed 19-Nov-14 19:59:13

A tent.

Things to go in the play kitchen, such as a kettle and toaster.

One of those diddy trampolines (about a metre square, with a handle to hold onto).

Dolls' cot ot highchair. Or doll!

Dressing up clothes.

SugarPlumpFairy3 Wed 19-Nov-14 20:04:14

I have 2yo twins (also turned 2 in oct!) and these are the things that have been a hit...

Duplo, hobby horse, doll and clothes/cot/buggy/highchair etc, 2-4 piece jigsaws, shopping basket, play food, dressing up clothes...

noblegiraffe Wed 19-Nov-14 20:13:52

A bed if she is still in a cot?

SaltySeaBird Wed 19-Nov-14 20:24:35

Thanks for the ideas!

She is already in a bed and has a trampoline in the garden. A tent is a good idea though and some more dressing up clothes for her growing collection!

dancewiththetreedoug Wed 19-Nov-14 20:26:10

We've got our ds a toy hoover - I just know he's going to love it grin

Lovelydiscusfish Wed 19-Nov-14 20:33:11

Musical instruments, CD player for her room. Craft stuff, Orchard games? These are things my dd has loved since being about 2.

Yoruba Wed 19-Nov-14 20:35:06

Simple remote controlled car
More "bits" for the train track e,g, station / tunnel / bridge
Really nice pens / crayons. Like those super thick 4 in 1 crayons?
DVDs of favourite shows
Sticker books
Books
Little table and chairs
Aqua doodle
Duplo
Supermarket till and basket
Stampers and ink pads
Wooden chopping veg and fruit
Puzzles

LovelyWeatherForDucks Wed 19-Nov-14 20:36:11

Something for her room? A beanbag, interesting nightlight, road rug? A trunki if you have any holidays planned? New duvet cover set? A nativity set or a lovely stocking (Not on the High Street have some lovely things)? Wooden doll's house (theres a great one on Asda)?
My DS is getting a mini micro scooter, a wooden garage, some toy vehicles, an orchard game and a tunnel and shed for his train set. My mum has bought him a lovely suitcase (for storage) from Cath Kidston, they have some sweet children's things in.

Notname Wed 19-Nov-14 20:38:10

DD will be 3 just before Christmas. We're getting her a dolls house for Christmas and a wigwam (also looked at tents) for her birthday. Have asked someone to get her a small bean bag or squishy floor cushions for that too. In past year she has loved play food and kitchen, dolls accessories, dressing up (although nothing as much as her six year old brother's toys!).

squiggleirl Wed 19-Nov-14 21:16:54

Our youngest is 2, and here are things I would suggest for that age:

- Doll's pram (there are little wooden ones that are good and sturdy for this age, and the handles aren't too high)
- Doll's highchair (DD loved feeding her baby in this)
- Corolle dolls (They are lovely dolls for this age group, and there are some that are designed to go in the bath)
- Doll's bath (again DD played with this loads)
- Doll's cot (You're seeing a theme here I bet!)
- Wheelybug (DS goes flying around on his, and loves it)
- Play kitchen (Wooden ones are good as they hold up to loads of play)
- Tea set
- Foam jigsaws (these are good as they stay together well whilst little people are building them)
- Fisher Price handbag
- Aquadoodle
- Easel
- Lego Duplo
- Stickle bricks
- Twistable crayons

SaltySeaBird Wed 19-Nov-14 21:29:08

Some great ideas thanks!

Love the wigwam idea although her bedroom is tiny. She has never shown an interest in dolls but loves soft toys - not sure she needs anymore!

WhispersOfWickedness Wed 19-Nov-14 21:35:18

This is brilliant, I got it for my DS's 2nd Christmas, he is now 5 and his sister is 3 and it is still always the first thing they want out of the puzzle cupboard. smile

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Wed 19-Nov-14 21:38:03

Aw, they can never have too many cuddly toys. DS still asks for them at 6! Has anyone suggested a balance bike? DS had an islabike one from around that age. They are expensive though.

How about accessories to go with the mini micro scooter? Character pj's/vest/pants.

I'd also go with dressing up clothes, nice toddler table/chair set if you don't have one, audiobooks, books, DVDs, extra train accessories etc.

Castlemilk Wed 19-Nov-14 21:46:40

DUPLO DUPLO DUPLO.

The sets are expensive and it's so much better if you have a decent amount of it. Start the keen present buyers off on it now and you'll end up with a brill resource - and it resells excellently!

StuffedOwl Wed 19-Nov-14 21:54:38

I'm all for gender equality, so why not ask for what people consider to be "boys" toys? Diggers, fire engines etc....

Iggi999 Wed 19-Nov-14 21:58:41

The Ikea circus tent is good, and a lot of people rate their easel too.

summerlovingliz Wed 19-Nov-14 22:04:31

Whispers, love the look of that latch puzzle. Quite expensive but reviews sound like it's worth it!?

makemineapinot Wed 19-Nov-14 22:54:24

V tech Discovery tree! My 2 adored it for years!!!

2wheels Thu 20-Nov-14 10:29:33

I know its not the best time of year but my DD loved her play lawnmower for her 2nd birthday - she just loves cutting the grass!
Gardening tools
I second Lego duplo as I love it too!
Dolls
Paper, paints, glue, glitter
Wooden train set - most makes are interchangeable
Any kitchen and food play sets
Wooden and velcro food which they can slice up is always popular

WhispersOfWickedness Thu 20-Nov-14 17:02:10

Summer - yes, that is expensive, it is often less than that (think I got it for £17 and it has gone down as low as £14 according to camelcamelcamel), but it is really good quality, well made and my children both love it, so it has been worth it here smile

vikjul Thu 20-Nov-14 17:11:31

Agree with Duplo, great longevity and more fun the more you have, perfect age to start a collection!

TooManyMochas Thu 20-Nov-14 22:05:43

Accessories for the kitchen? Almost 3yo DS loves his toy toaster and kettle from ELC and his wooden play food (you can get great cut up fruit, veg and sandwich sets).

1122christy Sun 23-Nov-14 17:29:48

What about asking someone to make up an art box for her? My daughter (2 yesterday) got a peppa pig art truck although only had a small amount in it, they could fill up with more things like stickers, crafty bits, more paper. Or aany plastic tub with a lid and picking up art stuff from argos, pound land etc and filling it they could even decorate tub with favourite characters stickers.
www.argos.co.uk/static/Search/searchTerm/Peppa+pig+truck.htm

She also got these - www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1818466.htm

Bristle blocks and there are loads of different types.

Or someone making a doctors kit? Getting the outfit and doctors equipment, even buying real bandages for play.

Or maybe even some play do or equvilant? Iv got older children so my youngest has played with this fine although obv with supervision.

She also really likes figures she carries them about in a bag - peppa pig figures, disney characters, animals etc. disney do sets for around £12 of frozen, doc mcstuffins, Sofia, disney princess etc.

Or what about some outside toys? Obv won't b used now but come feb/March can be set up like a swing, slide, Wendy house, rocking horse etc. obv depends how much ppl want to spend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now