Talk

Advanced search

Please help... want to buy DH a coffee maker- is Tassimo the best?

(28 Posts)
HoHoHappyHolidays Wed 19-Nov-14 09:44:24

DH lives to drink coffee! He is a complete addict! I was looking around online and saw a machine called Tassimo. Is it any good? Where can I get the best deal?

TIA smile

anotherdayanothersquabble Wed 19-Nov-14 09:56:26

I wouldn't buy a capsule coffee maker. You are sucked into their franchise of over priced over packaged coffee capsules. They are too much like vending machine coffee for me but I don't like new fangaled gadgets!!

He may prefer a traditional coffee shop style machine with freshly ground beans. I have one that I can pour beans in at the top and can adjust the strength and the amount of water.

But of course, you and your DH may prefer the capsules!

LadyRubyPenhaligon Wed 19-Nov-14 09:59:14

I agree. I wouldn't buy a capsule machine either. Ours uses fresh beans that we buy from supermarkets or anywhere we like. It's made by delonghi.

icklekid Wed 19-Nov-14 10:05:07

I love our tassimo its easy and makes delicious coffee (and hot chocolate!)

kaymondo Wed 19-Nov-14 10:12:01

It depends what kind of coffee he drinks. I get why people say don't get a capsule machine but that was what we wanted to cut down on faff and cleaning. But we have a nespresso which IMO is far superior to the tassimo, coffee is much much nicer and you can buy a separate milk frother to make lattes or cappuccinos. With tassimo you get milk capsules to make the milk based coffees but it is essentially powdered milk so tastes awful. We had a tassimo machine at work so I have used both. If you want capsule then I'd go nespresso every time. If you don't mind the cleaning then go for a bean to cup machine.

Yackity Wed 19-Nov-14 10:14:17

We have one if those that make coffee from fresh beans. Doesn't take long to have spent far less money than the capsule ones end up costing you, and you have complete freedom as to what type of bean you choose!

Paleodad Wed 19-Nov-14 10:17:59

the simplest and best coffee maker, used in millions of Italian kitchens daily. it's 'stove top' so no more appliances on the work surface, no mess (it needs just a rinse after use) and makes the best coffee you will get outside of a professional (coffee shop type) esspresso machine.
www.amazon.co.uk/Bialetti-ES030200-Moka-Express-cup/dp/B0000AN3QI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416392083&sr=8-1&keywords=moka

HelpMeGetOutOfHere Wed 19-Nov-14 10:32:49

WE have tassimo at home and at work. The only coffee I drink in it though is the costa latte. In my opinion it doesn't taste like the costa in the shops, but that's a good thing for me as I dislike costa coffee.

My boss uses it for espresso coffee. H has espresso coffee in his, he buys it online though as not many supermarkets sell espresso. I buy the costa latte from Costco as they often have offers on 5 packs of 8 coffees for £16, but even at regular price of £21 it works out as you get an extra pack for free compared to supermarket prices. the dc love the hot chocolates, I don't buy them very often though as they are expensive and only small cups, when usually the dc are happy with jar of Cadbury's instant hot chocolate for £2 for evening drinks.

StrangeGlue Wed 19-Nov-14 11:00:37

Depends how much coffee he drinks and of he's fussy about brands. We have a gaggia as dh drinks a lot of specific coffee - pros you can get it exactly as you like it and even pricey coffee is cheaper than 100s of pods; cons there is a real knack to using it.

Mum drinks coffee in frequently so has pod machine. Pros: v easy to use, little clean up required and any idiot can use it (aka me). Cons: pods get pricey fast if you up your drinking habits.

BettyFocker Wed 19-Nov-14 15:57:14

We have a Tassimo and only use Costa Americanos in it. Then we can add our own milk. We tried the Costa lattes and the Cadbury hot chocolate and they were both gross. The UHT milk that comes with them is really horrible. So we stick to the Americano which is just black coffee.

It's easy to use and easy to clean. Quicker than boiling the kettle! And the coffee tastes lovely. We buy packs of 80 Americanos for £15 on Amazon. Which lasts us over two months.

Felyne Wed 19-Nov-14 16:15:40

I love our Tassimo, it gets used about 4-6 times daily. I'd like it more if the pods were (a) cheaper (b) easily recyclable or (c) refillable even but it is very reliably good coffee, we've had plungers and stovetop espresso makers and a big delonghi expensive coffee machine in the past and could never get it quite right. The Tassimo works for us in that regard.

BuildersBum Wed 19-Nov-14 16:21:38

We have the Tassimo & love it.

We bulk buy the pods when they're on offer, either from Tassimo direct using cashback, or in the supermarkets, preferably with £ off X shop when they're already reduced.

I don't like dairy so don't buy many of the ones with milk pods - OH likes the chai lattes - instead I pop some soya milk in the microwave whilst the coffee pod is in the Tassimo machine.

OH likes their posh tea pods too.

It's nice to give guests a choice.

Deux Wed 19-Nov-14 16:30:54

I was going to suggest a stove top pot too. It makes lovely coffee. And is a Beautiful Thing.

The best jug based one I've ever had was, curiously, from Aldi. It had a bean grinder and you could programme it to come on at a preset time, bean grinding an' all. Broke the jug though and couldn't find a replacement.

I think it also depends on whether you want something sitting on the counter the whole time.

squiggleirl Wed 19-Nov-14 16:41:43

DH loves his coffee. He had a stove top coffee maker before we had kids, and used it all the time. Now we have a Nespresso. It's just easier, and cleaner, and makes decent strong coffee. Plus you can get flavoured coffees which are nice for a change.

youmakemydreams Wed 19-Nov-14 16:45:25

I was desperate for a Tassimo now so glad I bought something different. All the milk I have seen with Tassimo is sweetened so useless if you don't take sugar.

The nespresso ones which I also don't have grin do seem to come in unsweetened varieties too.
I do have a Phillips senseo it makes ok coffee with minimum mess and faff but really is nothing compared to actual coffee from beans.

hillyhilly Wed 19-Nov-14 16:49:05

I have had various stove tops, grinders, super- duper machines in the past but I utterly love my Nespresso. I've had it for a couple of years and it beats all the others hands down in my opinion.

Madcatgirl Wed 19-Nov-14 16:51:33

Dh is a coffee addict and he has a nespresso. He loves it and it's just so easy to use.

dameagatha Wed 19-Nov-14 16:54:57

We've had a couple of Nespressos (Nespressi?wink) & love them. They're good if you don't drink tons of coffee, so an open bag of ground would go stale.

CleanLinesSharpEdges Wed 19-Nov-14 16:58:19

Can someone explain to me how the stovetop gadgets work please? I keep looking at them and was thinking of getting one but just can't figure them out. <thicko> smile

MrsLindor Wed 19-Nov-14 18:30:49

We have a tassimo, cost next to nothing in a costa card deal. We've had proper coffee makers with milk frothers but they didn't get as much use, too much effort to use and clean, and ime you need to spend £££ to get one with a decent frother.

The tassimo also doesn't take up mich counter space which is an issue for us.

WeAllHaveWings Wed 19-Nov-14 18:44:09

Does nesspresso do hot chocolate capsules? Can't see any online.

squiggleirl Wed 19-Nov-14 21:26:15

Nope. Nespresso only does coffee. The milk heater/frother is separate unit. They do, however, do a chocolate flavoured coffee which is yum!

Paleodad Wed 19-Nov-14 22:07:20

CleanLines
unscrew and fill the base with cold water up to the level of the valve. put the filter in and fill with ground coffee (slightly heaped, if you want it strong). Screw the top 'jug' bit on. put the moka on the stove top and remove when you heare the gurgurling/hissy sound and the coffee has stopped coming up through the spout in the centre (if you leave it too long the coffee starts to boil and tastes very bitter)
Then you can, if you want, give it a stir before pouring, but this is purely a matter of taste.
Two Italian friends of mine almost came to blows over whether it should be stirred or not before pouring!

youmakemydreams Thu 20-Nov-14 11:41:11

Do they work on any type of stove top?

Paleodad Thu 20-Nov-14 13:05:48

yes, apart from the induction type hobs. I have since discovered there is a wiki page all about mokas (who would'a guessed...) and it's all explained there

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now