Talk

Advanced search

What are your favourite family Christmas board games?

(17 Posts)
WhoeverYouWantMeToBe Tue 18-Nov-14 12:53:25

What are your favourites to please everyone? I have a family between the ages of 10 and 84 and we need something fun, simple but easily to explain and follow to play.
Any ideas?

iseenodust Tue 18-Nov-14 14:30:50

Not exactly a board game but Bingo is easy fun for everyone (luck not skill!) and you can get a cheap set with a big hamster wheel cage to tumble the numbers.

BrassMonkey84 Tue 18-Nov-14 14:58:24

Favourites in our family include;
Articulate (put into teams, given words and you have to describe the word for the rest of the team to guess without saying the word iyswim)
Hum Bug (hum various tunes and team mates guess. Vvv funny and we always end up in fits of giggles)
Scacagories (play individually although younger ones could team up. Dice is rolled to give a letter and there is a list of things e.g.. girls name, team sport, country etc and you have to name one beginning with that letter)
Qwirckle (difficult to explain but you have to make rows with shapes and colours)

costababe Tue 18-Nov-14 15:00:18

Not a board game either but we always do charades, with special pile for the kids and sometimes the older ones!! And we put together quizzes , music, trivia, logos that sort of stuff!!

curiousgeorgie Tue 18-Nov-14 15:10:53

Articulate for us too... We love it and play in teams.

(I'm unbeaten wink)

Lilymaid Tue 18-Nov-14 15:31:33

Not a board game but a card game, Pit has been the family and friends favourite for decades. Only suitable for those prepared to shout their heads off and swop cards at speed, but enormous fun.

WreckTheHalls Tue 18-Nov-14 17:13:35

Beat the parents.

9 yr old and 6 yr old LOVE it. Kids team up against parents. One of the kids has to be able to read, though!

Itscoldouthere Tue 18-Nov-14 17:18:37

Not a board game but Pucket is an "elasticated table game" good fun for all it's a wooden game so quite expensive but I bought one of their seconds which has a few marks on the wood but was half price. Worth every penny and is especially good fun for adults after a few glasses of wine smile

Teapot74 Tue 18-Nov-14 18:34:10

Perudo, Cluedo and Risk.

wfrances Tue 18-Nov-14 19:46:51

the logo game

GoodKingQuintless Tue 18-Nov-14 19:48:18

We play Uno, Monopoly, Chess, Bendomino, and Rummy.

Misty9 Tue 18-Nov-14 21:11:50

We loved articulate

Dancergirl Tue 18-Nov-14 23:42:25

I was thinking of getting articulate. But not sure whether to get the normal version or the kids. Dc are 13, 11 and 7

bakingtins Wed 19-Nov-14 07:47:40

Another vote for Qwirkle.

ThrowAChickenInTheAir Wed 19-Nov-14 07:54:35

We like Banangrams and always take it on holiday. Dh and dc like card games but I'm a bit rubbish at them and have to be helped all the time blush

I keep meaning to get Qwirkle to try.

As a family it's better that we step away from Monopoly. Too many arguments and Dh behaving like the Governor of the Bank of England hmm

Wilf83 Wed 19-Nov-14 08:07:35

Labyrinth, bingo, scrabble, game of life, game of knowledge, monopoly. Bag puss game,

poolomoomon Wed 19-Nov-14 09:37:43

Charades is brilliant. I'm really looking forward to DC being of an age where they can play that.

Favourites in our house are monopoly, cluedo and cranium.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now