Talk

Advanced search

How long will a real Christmas tree last?

(9 Posts)
RedRose27 Tue 18-Nov-14 10:13:50

Last year we had a real Christmas tree for the first time ever and loved it, will never go back to plastic smile
This year is DD's first Christmas, and we've moved into a new house. With being at home on maternity I want to make the house really nice. Will a real tree survive from Sunday 30th November? Last year a waited until 6th December and it still looked pretty good by Christmas Day but will another week make a big difference?

poolomoomon Tue 18-Nov-14 10:17:51

We get ours on this date every year but if it falls on a weekend (as it has done the past two years now) we get it delivered the nearest weekday before so this year it's on the 28th! We always put it up on the evening of the 30th you see, it's tradition. They always last! Granted, they're looking a bit bare by New Years but still looks bushy and beautiful on Christmas Day smile.

RedRose27 Tue 18-Nov-14 10:26:20

Thanks Poolo think I will go for it smile how close is yours to a radiator out of interest? Really want to have ours in the centre if the bay window but the radiator is there, so thinking it may have to go in the corner instead...

AmeliaPeabody Tue 18-Nov-14 11:50:11

Wouldn't put it close to the radiator. Chances are it will look decidedly brown and shabby by mid November if so.

gamingmum Tue 18-Nov-14 13:14:36

If you have a house do you have a garden? We invested in a cute little blue spruce that lives in the garden all year round in his festive pot, then is brought into the house mid December. Once christmas and new years is over, he goes back out in the garden for the year and it is nice to see all the new pines growing over spring and summer!

So far he hasn't needed to be moved into a bigger pot and it is manageable with two people to lift. You get that lovely tree smell and none of the needles dropping off as you just top them off with water.

RedRose27 Tue 18-Nov-14 13:18:10

Ooh good idea gamingmum I hadn't thought of that. Was it a lot more £££ than a cut tree? What size is it? We had a tree about 7 feet last year which was so gorgeous.

MummyPig24 Tue 18-Nov-14 13:38:31

We usually get one two weeks before Christmas and it's still looking good after new year.

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Tue 18-Nov-14 13:49:52

we always used to put ours in the bay window (no radiator in ours) but it cuts out a lot of light and you have to decorate it all the way round which is particularly fiddly with lights

Last year we put it in a corner instead & only decorated the front. It looked magnificent (I'm allowed to say that because I didn't decorate it grin)

we get a 6-7 foot Nordmann fir - it has softer needles than the Norway spruce & they hang on much longer, but still plenty of branches

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Tue 18-Nov-14 13:52:03

Do you have one of those stands you can fill with water? As long as you cut a piece off the bottom before you put it in the stand, & make sure the water is kept topped up, you shouldn't have a problem at all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now