Talk

Advanced search

help me ensure my home is festive this year please

(7 Posts)
NamesNick Tue 18-Nov-14 09:08:13

last minute change of plan re christmas.

every year we go elsewhere therefore minimum festive fuss at our house.

this year we are having Christmas at home and dp is cooking dinner...just for me, dp, dd and 3 dsc. This year we have dsc from 9am - 2pm and dd goes to her dads around 2ish also.

I dont know how to say this without sounding mean but because we have never spent christmas day at home I pretty much go minimalistic on the festivities but this year id like to make it a nice festive christmas.

have I used the word festive too much? grin

im looking for help...from scratch.

I'm talking, trees, decorations, carols, days out - just some ideas over the christmas period for us as a family to enjoy.

im also looking for things on the build up to Christmas that will get us all into the spirit.

its worth noting that christmas doesnt start until after 11th dec when dsc2 has his birthday

how do I christmas up my home?

NamesNick Tue 18-Nov-14 09:13:43

I must add that I have bought nothing so far.

I am a last minuter!!

just waiting on my vouchers (expected within the week) so ive got a lot of work to do

fuzzpig Tue 18-Nov-14 09:31:40

What's the age range of your DCs?

For me, family games are the essence of Xmas. We always get some new ones as presents, ranging from child friendly (can be boring for the grown ups but worth it if the DCs enjoy it) to more complicated ones.

We have a second Xmas with DSCs (they spend the actual day with their mum) and I love it so much, we do all the silly games like charades etc and we have a new tradition of a quiz too.

And get some unchildfriendly food/drink etc for after 2pm and make the most of the child free time grin

WildFlowersAttractBees Tue 18-Nov-14 09:33:38

How old are the DC's?

We go all out for Christmas (and every other excuse!) from festive bedding to decorations in every room (including the downstairs loo).
We have two trees (one in hall and one in living room).

We have a homemade advent calendar with chocolate coins some days to cinema trips or visiting father Christmas on other days. Other days include hot choc and marshmallows, festive tops, family film nights and craft kits (this year I have made up a handprint wreath kit and a colour your own paper chain one).

On Christmas eve the elves leave a hamper filled with new pj's for all, a book, film, hot choc, marshmallows, biscuits, bath stuff and reindeer dust.

If you have the kids until 2pm on Christmas day I would make a nice brunch... something easy but a treat like pancakes, bacon and syrup.

Yardarm Tue 18-Nov-14 09:50:07

Real Christmas tree always smells very Christmassy
Arrangements of green leaves / red berries from garden or possibly local hedgerows
Candles
White or coloured fairy lights either around a window, up the banister or along the mantlepiece (probably not all three!)
Board games /charades
Don't spend too long in the kitchen! Do as much as possible in advance so you can spend the morning together.

All of these will contribute to festive spirit!

NamesNick Tue 18-Nov-14 10:45:36

This is brilliant, thanks

DC are 3, 4, 5 and 7

We have booked a festive family meal on 21st - father christmas will be there, with reindeer! Kids are looking forward to that.
Planning on taking them into town to walk round the Christmas market, and hopefully outdoor ice skating.

Love the idea of two trees, perhaps one real and one fake - not sure our dog and cat would cope well with too many pine needles!

Be back later to have a proper read over the suggestions, as I'm in work smile

Mumsnet may have just saved Christmas!!

BrieAndChilli Tue 18-Nov-14 10:52:04

I would make the morning all about the kids - opening presents, Xmas film, lunch etc
I would then get some nice nibbles and wine in for you and have a relaxed, grown up evening.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now