Talk

Advanced search

Need a nice fountain pen

(9 Posts)
ladybird69 Mon 17-Nov-14 23:08:26

I need a nice fountain pen for a gift. She liked a nice chunky/heavy one but I can't find anything as I've only got a small budget any ideas? TIA

IsItMeOr Mon 17-Nov-14 23:14:42

Cult pens have a very wide range of pens.

PurpleWithRed Mon 17-Nov-14 23:16:36

I was about to say cultpens.com too. I have a pilot capless fountain pen, love it.

ladybird69 Mon 17-Nov-14 23:52:49

Thank you grin I'll take a look

Chinateacup Tue 18-Nov-14 00:00:29

How have I never heard of this before?!

ladybird69 Tue 18-Nov-14 00:12:03

Omg...... £3000 for a pen wink
The pilot is v nice but bit over budget. Found a nice Faber Castel IT has a choice of nibs tho how do I know? She has very fluid loopy writing any advice? Thanks

ladybird69 Tue 18-Nov-14 00:13:55

Would it be naughty to put one on my Christmas list too? They're lovely. We still love writing letters!!!

IsItMeOr Tue 18-Nov-14 08:18:08

I think I might have originally found cult pens via a Mumsnet recommendation. Or certainly after one of the stationery threads (present and correct is one I got from there).

Anyway...nib width is quite personal, unfortunately. I am a little ashamed to admit that I have hardly used the Mont Blanc pen my parents kindly gave me for my 18th birthday, because it has a medium nib, which is really a bit too wide for me. As you have to replace half the pen to change the nib, I've never been able to justify the cost.

A fine nib is possibly a safer bet? Could you sneakily try to ask what they prefer without giving away your plan?

ladybird69 Tue 18-Nov-14 15:32:00

Isit she does tend to use a thicker nib like the gel pens and biro rather than the fine ones. It is such a personal thing I'd hate for her to not use it. Perhaps I should go for the medium and play it safe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now