Talk

Advanced search

Lego beginner

(13 Posts)
alltheworld Mon 17-Nov-14 20:21:52

Hello.. last time I played with Lego was in the seventies when things were a lot simpler... I want to get some for my children 3 and 7. I don't want one of those very fancy kits that you have to have all of the pieces for and do it the right way.. I just want to build cars/houses.. however, I am very puzzled by the array of starter buckets. I already have a 607 brick one on order but some reviews say not many wheels in it. When I googled Lego windows etc. their windows pack has been retired... What collection/bricks should I get next for hours of housebuilding fun at Christmas?

Thanks

Mulledwineandmincepies Mon 17-Nov-14 20:47:45

The entertainer has a big bucket of random pieces pm it's daily deal today down from £50 to £37.50 using code LEGO

link here

AndHarry Mon 17-Nov-14 20:50:00

I'm in the same position as you and after a bit of research went for the 4630 Build & Play box. I got 25% off that price with discount code H56P so the total including P&P was £26.25 for 1000 bricks.

girliefriend Mon 17-Nov-14 20:55:33

In defence of the kits my 7yo dd (now 8yo) loved them and still does, what normally happens is she will sit and happily build whatever it is, play with it for a bit and then it all goes into the big lego bucket for her to build whatever she wants out of it iyswim.

Maybe get one of the smaller kits for the 7yo as she may enjoy following the instructions and personally I think it is a really good activity for them to do - similar to puzzles. Dd now able to build really quite complex structures - much better than I would!!

clearsommespace Mon 17-Nov-14 21:14:36

The Creator kits are good because you can make 3 different models from the same pieces and they come in a lot of different prices.

ZenNudist Mon 17-Nov-14 21:33:03

Curses to this thread. I just bought the entertainer tower but paid £3 postage confused

I had a 650 piece set I guess I'm taking back now...

ZenNudist Mon 17-Nov-14 21:37:31

I like the city sets to supplement as you get wheels and moving parts. Ds is getting arctic base camp for Christmas as well as a big box of the stuff and base plates.

We do like making up sets together and we have lots of small chima / ninjago sets. Trying to stay away from the Battle for Ninjago City!!!

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Mon 17-Nov-14 21:38:09

The 7 year old will love a kit. My DS started with a box of bits which included some instructions for farm animals and vehicles if you wanted, and since then his collection has grown through getting kits for birthdays and Christmases. As pp said he makes the models, then when he gets bored they get broken up and put in the box. He does remake them sometimes though.

Starlightbright1 Mon 17-Nov-14 21:40:28

My DS had a couple of buckets.. I am ( santa) is buying him roof tiles off ebay as he can't make houses properly withouth roof tiles

imme Mon 17-Nov-14 21:43:07

Have a look at ebay. Second hand Lego bundles by the kilo. We just ordered three kilos to test it.

alltheworld Mon 17-Nov-14 21:44:35

thanks all!

tethersend Mon 17-Nov-14 22:08:30

Thanks for that link, Mulledwine- was just about to buy that for £50!

Norfolkandchance1234 Thu 20-Nov-14 12:49:43

Start off with small kits. My DS loves Lego the more complicated the better. My DD,loves Lego but doesn't want to build the sets so gets DS to build hers which she then plays with for hours.

We have a huge box of bits which they love and are always building stuff. They are DD 7 & DS 9.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now