Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for elderly people who have lots of stuff...

(20 Posts)
Asleeponasunbeam Mon 17-Nov-14 17:43:59

My own Nan is easy to buy for. Sounds awfully stingy but I always buy her what I always have - nice hand cream, a diary and some Thornton's special toffee! Any deviation from this over the years has always led to a feeling of slight disappointment, so I stick to the same!

DH's grandparents have 7 DC and 20 adult GC. It is impossible to think of what to buy them. I've seen them bought so many, many things and they're so lovely they're always grateful, but put the things away and they're never seen again. They have on display everyone's wedding photo and the first baby/ school photo of each Great GC. Although they're given newer photos, these aren't what they want to display.

I'm sure everything these lovely people could ever want has been bought for them at some point, with such a large family buying for them.

Any suggestions that I may not have thought of? We rarely see them and they're too frail for outings, meals out etc now.

fattymammy Mon 17-Nov-14 17:48:07

How about a hamper of all nice easy to prepare items that they may possibly buy for themselves .
Or possibly a charity gift given on their behalf .

traviata Mon 17-Nov-14 17:48:11

audio books?

Radio Times subscription?

squirrelkiller Mon 17-Nov-14 17:52:44

Photos on a tray or a mug or a coaster or teatowel? That way, they aren't cluttered up with more pictures, but they can get to see them when they use them?

Or if not photos, maybe drawings from the great grandchildren? (on a mug etc)

Otherwise, I'd second consumables like nice treat-type foods, or pot-plants.

ishouldcocoa Mon 17-Nov-14 17:54:10

I think a monthly subscription to a magazine would be a good idea.
I do that for my Dad.

squirrelkiller Mon 17-Nov-14 17:54:40

Just thought of something else that went down well with my granny in her 90s.
Writing paper/notelets and a couple of books of stamps. She has family overseas, so I also included some "aerogramme" letters which are prepaid overseas airmail paper.

I suppose it does depend on their eyesight and whether they still write letters.

xalyssx Mon 17-Nov-14 20:52:58

I'm getting my aging relatives a personalised OS map.

Roseformeplease Mon 17-Nov-14 20:55:08

My MiL absolutely loved the magazine subscription we got her.

ThatBloodyWoman Mon 17-Nov-14 20:57:03

Take them out for fish and chips at the seaside or a nice coach trip somewhere.

ThatBloodyWoman Mon 17-Nov-14 20:59:08

Sorry,missed the last bit of your op...

Still give them time.A photo thats been repaired.Old cine film put on dvd.Something like that.
Then sit and have a good old chat and cuppa and let them talk to you.

mrssmith79 Mon 17-Nov-14 21:04:56

Do they enjoy getting out and about? What about a gift voucher for afternoon tea at a nice hotel?

makemineapinot Mon 17-Nov-14 21:05:32

Vouchers for the local chip shop! My elderly uncle loved that!

mrssmith79 Mon 17-Nov-14 21:05:44

Oops, just saw last line of op - you could a always arrange lifts / taxi though?

Taffeta Mon 17-Nov-14 21:24:20

Just bought my 77 yo mum the Oldie subscription at her request
Bought sprightly 72 yo MIL a Jamie subscription

bigTillyMint Mon 17-Nov-14 21:26:40

DM is 83 and she loves flowering plants. Very easy to buy online and get delivered to them.

Bootoyou2 Mon 17-Nov-14 21:40:41

Bake a cake like a fruit or ginger cake that will last for ages in a pretty tin? A flowering house plant or orchid?

Nittyb Mon 17-Nov-14 21:44:16

Photo calendar with pictures of family, I've been doing them for years for the grandparents and they won't let me stop !!

NotAnotherPackedLunchBox Mon 17-Nov-14 21:52:56

My parents have so much stuff that I often ponder on the ettiquette of giving a flamethrower as a gift.
I think edible gifts are the way to go - nice indulgent things they wouldn't ever treat themselves to - and there's no increase in the amount of stuff they have.

ishouldcocoa Wed 19-Nov-14 06:24:17

I'm going all out on smelliest for my DM. All her fave stuff to last her for the year ! Neom candle, Bronnley lemon soap on a rope, a bit of Jo Malone. (She needs cheering up big time).

drinkyourmilk Wed 19-Nov-14 06:34:38

Beautiful warm afghan for when they are just sitting?
New radio? My gran (90's) listened to the radio non stop.
Grabber for picking things off the floor?
Voucher for a mobile hairdresser (and actually organise it for them so it happens)?
Do they have any hobbies? My grandad loved stamp collecting, my grandma loves shopping (and drinking spirits!), gran loved audio books and music.
cosy sweaters or slippers.
do you know what they used to love doing when they were younger? A memory book or special outing - you can take them- was always appreciated by my grandparents. Even when they were quite frail.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now