Talk

Advanced search

Christmas presents for triplets!

(22 Posts)
Shineyshoes10 Mon 17-Nov-14 14:32:30

Sorry couldn't think of a better title!

I have 5 year old triplet boys. Up until now I have always given mainly shared toys and then some individual presents of things like PJs, chocolate etc. Last year on Xmas day my MIL said that this is wrong and they should all have separate presents, but I'm not buying 3 of everything and they are into the same things. I can see where she is coming from though and I do want them to be seen as individuals. I do spend less on them than on my other kids but how do I get around this without buying just for the sake of spending more.

So far this year they have to share
Basketball hoop and ball
Giant Jenga
Swingball
Tool bench and tools/hats/belts etc
Operation game
Books
Audiobooks
Jigsaws
Superman/fireman/police outfits
Football
Cricket set

Then they are each getting
Bike
Chocolate
Bath crayons and Bubble bath (they get in the bath together so will use each other's)
PJs
Socks
Boxers
Slippers
Expanding flannel
Towel
Lego set (they have each got a different set but will probably end up being shared anyway)
Matchbox cars (again they will play with each other's)

I think this is plenty but now I'm questioning myself. What do you do with your multiples or what would you do?

Sorry for the long post.

SoonToBeSix Mon 17-Nov-14 14:37:03

I have twins, I would stick with the list you have but divide the big presents into three and give them as individual presents but tell your boys they need to share when playing with them.

BuddyKringleberry Mon 17-Nov-14 15:15:01

My twins are only 2.5 but I'm buying them mainly shared gifts as it means I can get them something bigger or better then buying two of it. For example they love dolls so I wanted to get them a dolls bed, rather then getting them one each, I got them a lovely wooden bunk bed set. It was £80 so I wouldn't have considered it for one of my singletons. They do get double of some little things but mainly joint. I can totally see what your MIL is saying but if your boys are happy to play with things together I'd go with it. I'm going to until my girls start asking me not too.

It sounds like they have plenty of fab gifts to look forward to, I love how lots of their 'joint' gifts are things they would need someone else to play with anyway.

The only thing that bugs me is joint birthday cards fangry x

billiejeanbob Mon 17-Nov-14 15:18:26

I don't have multiples but have 3 dc very close in age (5,6 and 8yo).

They all ask for the same things! This year the main present they really want is a princess baby born so I have bought one each.
Then I have bought lots of board games that I will share between them, so they will probably have 2 each. They will end up being shared anyhow as they play together.
I would give the shared presents out as individual gifts to each child. They will probably all play together anyhow.

Callofthewild Mon 17-Nov-14 15:19:04

I have twins who are 15 months and always buy them separate presents and generally different things. Father Christmas is however bringing them the Ikea kitchen to share which whilst I know it would be ridiculous and pointless to buy two, I really struggle with the idea of a joint present for them. Sometimes I buy things that are complimentary eg they both love In the Night Garden so I will buy one Iggle Piggle and the other Upsadaisy. Whilst at the moment everything ends up being shared I do feel that as they get older it is important that they have things that are their own and they are not obligated to share.

BertieBotts Mon 17-Nov-14 15:22:22

Yes I agree, the big ones (basketball hoop, tool bench) should be shared but the things like the game, jigsaws, books, you can give to each one of them but of course they'll want to read each others' books etc. Dressing up outfits again give one to each.

superbagpuss Mon 17-Nov-14 15:26:03

I have 5 year old twin boys

They get bought things that they want as indervidual presents (this year its turtles stuff for one and transformer stuff for the other but bigger items are shared - we have 5 piles on christmas day - FC for A, us for A, FC for B, US for B and US as shared, plus anything else they have been bought - it sounds complicated but it just means buying 5 long rolls of wrapping paper :-)

Shineyshoes10 Mon 17-Nov-14 16:23:02

Thanks for all your responses. Some good ideas here. bagpuss that is similar to what we do at the minute. I've bought 12 different rolls of wrapping paper. So complicated. Wrapping presents is a nightmare to make sure it's wrapped in the correct one.

I think I will compromise and split the book, audiobooks, jigsaws between them and keep the rest as shared presents while they are happy to share. This will probably change as the get older and I'll be like one of the mums I know who is buying 3 ps4 consoles. I would give them one each of the outfits but I think I would have 2 upset boys because they didn't get the fireman outfit (the latest obsession). If I get another game as well I could split the Jenna and the operation game too.

Don't get me started on the joint birthday cards!

PesoPenguin Mon 17-Nov-14 17:00:42

I don't have triplets but you list sounds perfect. Their main present is just for them so that's where the individuality come in.

PepsiTwirl Mon 17-Nov-14 17:09:39

I would buy 3 fireman outfits

attheendoftheday Mon 17-Nov-14 17:12:10

I think that sounds like plenty and a good mix of individual and shared presents. My two dds are singles but I still give a good chunk of shared presents because I have neither the time nor space for 2 of everything. I do a fair few like your lego sets, where they get a separate present to open but they will probably be shared after that.

Lagoonablue Mon 17-Nov-14 17:13:09

Blimey that's a lot of presents! Even if you only had one child! My DS will get about 5 things in total. Am I mean? Or you generous?

Inselaffe Mon 17-Nov-14 17:16:17

Wow, that's an incredible amount of presents!

I thought I was spoiling my friends' children according to their parents but now I feel a bit better about it grin

I think if they are happy to share make the most of it whilst it lasts. I have grim memories of fighting with my sister over things, including the Christmas where her 'big' present went in the bin as she was adamant that she deserved mine too.

Shineyshoes10 Mon 17-Nov-14 17:36:23

Do people think it's too much? It's 3 times as much as I spend on my singletons and around the same as what friends spend on their kids. The individual and shared presents for them all come to just under £650. This includes stockings and things I would buy anyway e.g. Socks/boxers/bubble bath

pepsi I'm thinking of getting a fireman outfit each now.

Yoruba Mon 17-Nov-14 17:41:49

I don't have multiples but I think split things like books / puzzles / games and give the big presents shared. As long as you really are buying to suit the individuals then where's the harm?

It's also plenty but not too much - it's for 3 dc!

Yoruba Mon 17-Nov-14 17:46:25

It's fine. If you look at it this way:

Dc1: bike, stocking, basket ball hoop, tool bench, audio books, football

Dc2: bike, stocking, giant jenga, operation, jigsaws, cricket set

Dc3: bike, stocking, swingball, books, dressing up outfits

It really doesn't look excessive does it? A lovely amount but perfectly normal.

RunawayReindeer Mon 17-Nov-14 19:05:06

Id probably get them a fireman outfit each tbh if they're relatively inexpensive- it is going to save a lot of hassle on xmas.day (who has helmet etc [Fgrin] )

RunawayReindeer Mon 17-Nov-14 19:06:01

Oh fgs my silly grammatically correct phone. fgrin of course

BertieBotts Mon 17-Nov-14 19:07:25

It's a lot compared to what I spend but if you can afford it and are happy with it it sounds lovely smile

bogiesaremyonlyfriend Mon 17-Nov-14 20:26:51

I don't have multiples but my dd's are getting a shared present- a trampoline. I would never buy one each and I don't think it takes away their individuality- especially as they are getting a bike each. In my house dd2 gets the hand me downs grin maybe if it was one bike to share...! wink

xalyssx Mon 17-Nov-14 20:40:49

At our house, the kids get a bag of sharing presents and a bag of individual presents.

Shineyshoes10 Tue 18-Nov-14 10:48:44

bogie I wouldn't laugh at sharing one bike SIL bought them 1 pair of PJs between them for their birthday. Yes no one would ever think of buying more than 1 trampoline so it's really no different for things like the basketball hoop.

I am going to buy 2 more fireman outfits because they will probably want to put them on straight away then split the smaller shared presents and keep the bigger ones shared.

Luckily they are really good at sharing things most of the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now