Talk

Advanced search

Gift insiration for hippy gardener please

(7 Posts)
catsofa Mon 17-Nov-14 14:13:21

I want to buy something nice for a keen allotment gardener for xmas. It's been ages since I had an allotment so I've kind of forgotten what is useful.

She is stylish in a lovely hippy sort of way, vegetarian, a very good cook, an expert knitter and crocheter, and does the allotment organically with lots of wild flowers in between all the veg.

Can anyone give me some inspiration please?

GirlAnachronism Mon 17-Nov-14 15:22:55

i've seen those seed grenades which look fun

here

other than that, some lovely gardening gloves and kneeling mat? a good flask?

catsofa Mon 17-Nov-14 16:05:13

smile those look good, I bet I could make something similar. Flask is a good idea, I wonder if she'd like a sealable insulated mug, I love mine for working out of doors.

Takver Mon 17-Nov-14 16:43:33

As a hippy gardener wink I'd agree that an insulated mug would be a really good present. Two tools that I'd really recommend are this little knife - it's fantastic both for fiddly weeding and also trimming leeks / topping veg etc (I bought one for my mum & got an order for a second as my dad kept nicking it!) and also this Japanese hoe (don't go for the Burgon & Ball equivalent, the steel is overly hardened and chips easily) I've got 4 of these - two at home (for me & DH) and two at work (for me + assistant) and they get daily use.

jThompson Mon 17-Nov-14 18:21:51

We got mil a thing for making plant pot from old newspapers. She's used it loads but wished the pots were a bit bigger. Have found a larger on and plan on getting that this year smile

Hers the small onehttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Paper-Pot-Maker-Accessories-Gift/dp/B009Y7C2FG

catsofa Mon 17-Nov-14 19:44:23

Brilliant those are great ideas, thanks!

Cumberlover76 Mon 17-Nov-14 19:59:41

If she grows organically she may like a Biodynamic Planting Calendar. This is the one my dad always buys. It gives guidance on when to plant/harvest/feed etc the different types of plant, root/flower/leaf depending on tide and moon positions. Even if not totally into it it's an interesting read. You can get in waterstones and Amazon too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now