Talk

Advanced search

Whiskey help!

(16 Posts)
BabsUnited Mon 17-Nov-14 11:10:44

I'd like to get some really nice whiskey for my sister's partner for his birthday. I don't drink whiskey so can anyone give me any recommendations? Is single malt better? I'm in london but anywhere online I can order from who can deliver tomorrow? Moon on a stick

Doje Mon 17-Nov-14 11:14:06

You might still be able to get Aberlour in the Co-op for £20 at the moment, which is a bargain at that price. Laphroaig is nice but is an acquired taste, or the other one I'd recommend that is usually found in decent sized supermarkets and nice is Jura. Or Talisker. Ooooh, I could go on for a while!

MelanieCheeks Mon 17-Nov-14 11:14:07

Whiskey does tend to be a matter of individual taste, so I'd steer clear of anything very distinctive such as Laphroaig, unless you are SURE they like that one.

What's your budget? Talisker 18 year old was voted "Best Whiskey" recently, and I would love to receive that in my stocking!

Doje Mon 17-Nov-14 11:15:18

Melaniecheeks I think we might get on in RL!

MelanieCheeks Mon 17-Nov-14 11:22:14

grin

I'm very partial to Irish whiskies too, and a bottle of Black Bush would be most acceptable.

BabsUnited Mon 17-Nov-14 11:30:09

oh great thanks for suggestions. I don't know his specific taste so will avoid the more acquired taste ones. Have a Co-Op near here so might take a trip at lunchtime see what I can find. Have made notes of the other names. Thanks! Budget probably £20-£30ish?

TheSpottedZebra Mon 17-Nov-14 11:31:57

Can you ask your sister what whiskies he has, and we can suggest others that he might like?

BabsUnited Mon 17-Nov-14 11:35:08

good idea - i've just texted her.

doineedhelp Mon 17-Nov-14 11:43:32

masters of malt website is very good and they have taster sets of lots of different types which might be an idea as a gift. I got the bourbon set one year for DH and he loved it smile
www.masterofmalt.com/

Ooh yes on blackbush. I live very close to the bushmills distillery and they have a Christmas fayre on soon.

Bushmills Irish honey is very drinkable around £15-£20. It's lighter than blackbush with a hint of honey (obviously).

If scotches are more his thing, isle of jura single malt is lovely. About £25 on Amazon at the mo.
If you want to spend a bit more jura superstition and prophecy are favourites of mine.

Talisker 10 year is £28 on Amazon right now.

BabsUnited Mon 17-Nov-14 13:29:17

She said he likes Jamesons?

TheSpottedZebra Mon 17-Nov-14 13:45:12

Ooh so Jameson is an Irish whiskey - very smooth, quite sweet. I'd buy something else Irish (so any other Jameson, any Bushmills etc), or possible some American whiskey. If you're thinking of Scotch, I'd probably stay away from the strong tasting ones like Laphroaig, Ardbeg etc. Even Talisker I'd not be sure of. If you're thinking a single malt Scotch, I'd look at ones like Macallan, Glenfiddich, Glenkinchie, Aberlour... anything that is a Speyside or a Highland Malt should be lovely. Stay away from words like peaty and smoky.

Or if a Scotch blend, the new Haig Club (advertised by Beckham) is really nice. Famous Grouse, chives regal, poss J&B are all nice non smoky non peaty blends. No idea of your budget so have suggested a range!

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 17-Nov-14 13:50:05

If you can get to the whisky shop they decant some of their own pretty reasonable whisky into nice little bottles with a hand written label which looks rather nice.

How about some feckin irish whiskey?

BabsUnited Mon 17-Nov-14 14:06:56

Feckin Irish Whiskey!!! love it. This is perfect, he's also a Father Ted fan so double points. And they can deliver tomorrow. Thank you everyone! flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now