Talk

Advanced search

Are there any families out there who aren't having Christmas with loads of relatives?

(71 Posts)
ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Sun 16-Nov-14 22:39:34

We're going to be just us 4...me, DH and two DDs aged 10 and 6. I'm a bit worried about making it fun and special.

PoppyWearer Sun 16-Nov-14 22:43:44

Our Best Christmas Ever was the one (the only one) we spent without extended family.

It was fab. We threw the rules out of the window. Stayed in our pjs all day, ate chocolate for breakfast, and ate a vastly cut-down meal at a time that suited us, prepared at a leisurely pace.

I spent most Christmasses as a child without extended family and I can't say I missed having everyone round. I'm fact, the worst Christmas I remember was the one where we schlepped off to Granny's house.

minkymuskyslyoldstoaty Sun 16-Nov-14 22:44:25

just me and my dd this year.

it's been a hard year.

i have been freaking out a bit as we normally have one or two other adults with us.
most scared i will be lonely and it won't be festive enough without others.

i guess it will cast doubts if you normally spend it with others.
yet it could end up being great for reasons not known yet.
i hope it is for you. x

MrsEames Sun 16-Nov-14 22:45:08

Us.

I do it every year. I never go anywhere and my mum and dad visit for an hour in the morning. Thats it. Just us and films and chocolate and dinner. Fab.

suspiciousandsad Sun 16-Nov-14 22:48:21

We never have anyone else with us - I've always said (quietly, to myself) that anyone is welcome to come to us, but I'm not going anywhere - can't be doing with the demands and pressure of family. I'd gladly have friends round though.

I love it that it's just us.

IssyStark Sun 16-Nov-14 22:49:26

We've always just been us since we were married. When I was growing up it was only ever mum, dad, my sis and me so it feels normal to me. DH grew up having his dm's family over on Boxing Day and it was always fraught so he doesn't miss at all.
At ds1's insistence, we always have one designated pyjama day. Playing board games, going for walks (weather allowing) and cuddling up together to watch various Christmas specials all figure high on our to-do list.
Decorating the house and always having the Christmas lights on, even during the day, make it feel very different from just a ling weekend at home.

Mummyinamask Sun 16-Nov-14 22:50:28

Yeah us too. It's FAB. No travel, no rules, no set times for things. It's a day for doing our own thing in our own way and I wouldn't change it.
So much more relaxed than touring the country.

IssyStark Sun 16-Nov-14 22:50:35

Oh, and we always have a big 'at home' for friends on 29th, our wedding anniversary.

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Sun 16-Nov-14 22:52:18

Us too. (Though there are six of us anyway) dm died last year, dsis live long way away. And a chance Dh may have to work. Mine are grown up though.
My best one previously (and I felt a bit guilty) was when DS were wee, and dm was in hospital having hip replaced. Df spent day with her, but we couldn't get there. We had lots of ripping up paper, sitting in boxes fun. (Then. Twins had a nap and mummy and daddy did too. Ahem)

Muchtoomuchtodo Sun 16-Nov-14 22:53:03

Us hopefully!

We always end up at PIL's eating too much and trying to stop SIL's bloody dog from eating it before us.

I can't drink because I need to drive us home.

I'd love to spend a Christmas Day, just us at home.

BlueGreenHazelGreen Sun 16-Nov-14 22:53:35

Christmas dinner growing up was usually my poor Mum cooking for over 20 relatives. I always enjoyed it but it was still a best clothes, best behaviour, pass round the chocolates event and we always looked forward to family time on Boxing Day.

My Mum always speaks fondly of the year we were snowed in for a week and it was just us. Says it was the best Christmas we ever had.

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Sun 16-Nov-14 22:57:27

Well you've all made me feel a lot better! I'd love to stay in PJs but DD1 who is ten is very much of the opinion that it's a dress up day...so we will be doing that to some extent but I'm thinking that I might ditch that idea and invest in some comfy Christmas t shirts to wear with the heating turned up full and leggings!

I am planning on more decorations than usual...a riduculous amount...for a laugh really! I'm festooning the entire house in lights and garlands!

mrssmith79 Sun 16-Nov-14 22:58:51

Dh and I are having Xmas in the Canaries, just the two of us. Bliss grin

ErrolTheDragon Sun 16-Nov-14 23:00:12

It's been just me and DH, DD and the dog for a few years now - she's no grandparents left and my brothers live some distance away (and DH doesn't really get on with them... he sort of wishes he'd tried a bit harder in the past now)

But still, we have a nice day - turkey crown from M&S, doing that and the trimmings is pretty easy, presents to open which will include a choice of DVDs we'll all like. One challenge is trying to find board games which can be played by 3 (or 2 if DH is having a post-parandial nap on the sofa) ... so many of the good games seem to need 4 or more.

ErrolTheDragon Sun 16-Nov-14 23:02:44

If you're going to stay in PJs all day (or morning) then it's nice to do the special xmas PJs given on xmas eve thing.

SnotandBothered Sun 16-Nov-14 23:04:45

Us too. Me, Dh and the 2xDC - so grand total of 4.

I am an only child (as was my mum) an we weren't close to family on my Dad's side who were all in Australia and other far flung places, so as a child it was me, my mum and dad.

It's my normal and my DC have never suffered for having a 'small' christmas.

BlueGreenHazelGreen Sun 16-Nov-14 23:06:29

If we ever had the chance never going to happen I'd only cook the food we like. Ditch the rigid timetable, stress less about the meal and go to church in the morning as well as the night before ( can't fit it in if I'm cooking).

There is also the outside chance that I'd get to the end of the day without being exhausted. I wouldn't have house guests so we could have a lie in anyway.

I adore our families but I can see a number of advantages!!

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Sun 16-Nov-14 23:07:29

I am planning board games too Errol we don't ever play them and DD2 would love to...what do people suggest? DDs are ten and 6....

elQuintoConyo Sun 16-Nov-14 23:10:36

3 of us on Christmas day here. Lovely.

May have Fil, Bil and Sil over on Boxing day (sounds like Donald Duck's nephews!).

ErrolTheDragon Sun 16-Nov-14 23:13:39

Claws - hm, 6 is a bit young for most of the games which adults find bearable (though it does depend on the individual child) - maybe Junior Monopoly?

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Sun 16-Nov-14 23:18:38

She's pretty bright for 6....I thought Jenga? Maybe Pictionary?

BlueGreenHazelGreen Sun 16-Nov-14 23:20:46

We regularly play Junior Monopoly, Stratego, Jenga, draughts, snakes and ladders, twister, operation and Cluedo.

BlueGreenHazelGreen Sun 16-Nov-14 23:21:19

Sorry our kids are ages with your youngest.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Sun 16-Nov-14 23:21:36

It will be the four of us plus my Db and DFil. I did assume that Dbil and Dsil would be joining us this year as they saw her folks last year but no, they're going again. And they doing their Boxing Day thing at her parents as usual. So DFil won't be seeing Dbil again this year. Unfortunately Dbil doesn't get a say in it. hmm

ErrolTheDragon Sun 16-Nov-14 23:22:13

Oh yes def Jenga and twister!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now