Talk

Advanced search

Canapé type starters, no cooking involved?

(19 Posts)
MyballsareSandy Sun 16-Nov-14 21:25:38

I'm hosting xmas for 10. Instead of a sit down starter, I was thinking of canapé type bits with drinks. The oven and hob will be full so don't want to cook anything. Any ideas?

happyyonisleepyyoni Sun 16-Nov-14 21:42:54

Blinis with smoked salmon, creme fraiche and lumpfish caviars

NumptyNu Sun 16-Nov-14 21:46:26

Black olive tapenade (can be made the day before), on blini or thin cracker type bread.

NumptyNu Sun 16-Nov-14 21:47:26

Slither of blue cheese on small piece of celery.

MyballsareSandy Sun 16-Nov-14 22:12:44

They all sound lovely, thanks.
Any more?

Purplecircle Sun 16-Nov-14 22:15:44

Quail scotch eggs, made before and served cold
Tortilla chips with salsa or guacamole on

M&S do loads of mini canapé type things

PullUpsAreTricky Sun 16-Nov-14 22:48:07

bruschetta with goats cheese and tomato, bruschetta's can be made up to 2 weeks before. its a delia recipe yum

AWholeLottaNosy Sun 16-Nov-14 22:49:33

Toasted brioche with Stilton, pear and fig. Yummy!

rallytog1 Mon 17-Nov-14 07:47:17

Smoked mackerel pate on mini oatcakes. Just blitz smoked mackerel with cream cheese and voila!

BiddyPop Mon 17-Nov-14 09:57:01

Prawns in marie rose sauce but on a piece of avocado or a cracker or piece of iceberg? (Just maybe 2 prawns per serving, or 1 if tiger prawns).

Pate on Melba toast (toast can be made a few days ahead - and could use crusts then for stuffing breadcrumbs!!).

Tapenade on nice bread/crackers/toastie things

maybe a platter of cured meats (parma ham, nice salami, braseola etc), some smoked salmon, smoked mackerel, crab claws, prawns etc and some semi-dried tomatoes, olives - and some olive oil with seasoning for dipping bread in?

HerrenaHarridan Mon 17-Nov-14 09:58:42

I'm doing prawn cocktail

NumptyNu Mon 17-Nov-14 13:26:26

Melba toast! Yes, that's what I usually put my tapenade on. Sometimes topped with a small slice of brie.

You can also buy pre-cooked quails eggs which look great sliced on half then skewered on a cocktail stick with a fresh basil leaf and a sun blush tomato.

NumptyNu Mon 17-Nov-14 13:30:02

Just remembered one more - cut a fig into 8 and wrap each piece in a slither of parma / proscuito / Serrano ham, and hold in place by skewering with cocktail stick. I love this fig and ham combo.

FurryDogMother Mon 17-Nov-14 13:42:23

Numpty reminded me of a favourite of mine - melon balls wrapped in prosciutto, on a cocktail stick.

Frogme Mon 17-Nov-14 14:03:14

Cocktail stick through a baby mozzarella ball, cherry tomato and basil leaf.

Frogme Mon 17-Nov-14 14:04:17

Glacé cherry wrapped with streaky bacon and cooked. Sounds awful but tastes lovely.

Redcherries Mon 17-Nov-14 15:17:41

I'd like ideas on this too, and if it's ok to serve canapés cold (I'm planning crab cakes with sweet chilli dip and chicken satay on sticks). But I can't see any replies on the thread!

I'm also doing Camembert and sun dried tomato pastry squares, salmon blinis and steak cubes with horse radish dip. It hurts to think about it as I currently doing the air and dust diet for the work do dress ;)

Purplecircle Mon 17-Nov-14 15:31:15

I thought of more:

mozzerella pearls (Tesco) with cherry tomato and basil leaf
Cherry tomatoes wrapped in streaky bacon and cooked for 10 mins, serve cold.

you could go old skool with cheese and pineapple or cheese and pickled onion on sticks smile

Frogme Mon 17-Nov-14 15:42:54

The mozzarella pearls is what I meant when I said baby mozzarella balls.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now