Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Does Anybody NOT Have a Christmas Tree?

(23 Posts)
DoveOfPeace Sun 16-Nov-14 21:16:49

Just wondering...

Does anyone have Christmas without a tree?

ilovepowerhoop Sun 16-Nov-14 21:31:42

no. You need a tree to put the presents under

LillianGish Sun 16-Nov-14 21:38:11

Probably won't have one with this year as living in apartment in Paris and going back to UK for two weeks at Christmas. Will still have lots of decs though and fairy lights, candles etc and do have a v small one in pot on roof terrace so might possibly bring that in. Dcs outraged as we have had some huge ones over the years, but when we were living in huge houses. Have had to make my mum to promise to leave tree decorating til we get back to UK so dcs can help! Actually just wondering does this mean technically I will have a tree just not in my apartment?

clam Sun 16-Nov-14 21:38:26

The only year we didn't was when we went to the US from 23rd to New Year. But I still put up all the bits and bobs around the edges, as it were - candles/pot pourri/Christmas ornaments/garland/door wreath etc.. so we could get in the mood for the run-up in December.

catwithflowers Sun 16-Nov-14 22:55:43

In the spirit of economy and inventiveness, I had this last year. The kids didn't think much of it and this Christmas we are having a huge tree to compensate grin

catwithflowers Sun 16-Nov-14 22:57:07

It was twigs from the woods so at least it didn't cost me anything!!

MsAspreyDiamonds Mon 17-Nov-14 03:41:08

I don't have a tree but then again I don't celebrate Christmas but I have in laws who do. I buy them gifts etc and celebrate with them if invited for lunch but I dont make a day of it myself.

Mrsgrumble Mon 17-Nov-14 07:06:15

I've a rely put one up over the last ten years but had a baby last year so literally threw one up .. I wasnt great. Lopsided and not enough lights etc

So this year I have bought tonnes of new co-ordinated decorations and searching Pinterest for ideas. It will be better, I hope.

Mrsgrumble Mon 17-Nov-14 07:06:25

Rarely

TallulahTwinkletoes Mon 17-Nov-14 07:10:39

Hell no. I'm generally miserable all year round but Xmas I go all out and cover everything with glitter and happiness... Including my tree grin

roundtable Mon 17-Nov-14 07:13:25

Don't do it op!

My siblings and I are all in our 30/40's now and we still talk about the year of the twig.

My mum decided to spray paint a twig and hang a couple of baubles off of it one year. It was disappointing to say the least. grin

TheFantasticMrsFox Mon 17-Nov-14 08:43:46

Hah, we had The Twig one year- DS still pulls a tragic face when the subject comes up and it's been 6 years grin

This year I am constructing two rope ladder type trees, one for either side of the fireplace. A combination of few funds, even less space and a nosey puppy means we are ditching the real tree this year but DH and I had to get drunk before we agreed it is a big step confused

SouthernOne Mon 17-Nov-14 09:16:58

we have a 9ft tree I love itsmile

lauranorder50 Mon 17-Nov-14 09:25:39

The first Christmas in our new house in 2001 we, 'harvested' the Christmas Tree from the garden. It was probably planted by the previous owner, but hey !

I got an artificial tree after that. I remember buying it from Woolworths and walking it down the high street, still in it's box, balanced on my shoulder !

I had a friend who couldn't afford a tree either real or fake and didn't have a great deal of tree decorations either. So, she created an 'orb' from two hula hoops pushed together at an angle. Tinsel wrapped around the sides of the hula hoops and a few tasteful decorations hung off it. She hung the finished article in the window of her house and it looked quite effective.

roundtable Mon 17-Nov-14 09:27:44

grin MrsFox. He'll still be pulling that face for decades.

It's actually a really funny memory for us all now but in hindsight we probably upset our mum with our ungrateful attitudes. Sorry mum. blush

DoveOfPeace Mon 17-Nov-14 19:24:41

The rope ladder trees sound cool!

pudseypie Mon 17-Nov-14 19:51:28

I managed about 5 years without a tree as our house is tiny but had to get little potted one last year for then 2yr old ds which despite my best efforts is still alive in the garden. .. I do like Christmas but the clutter of decorations winds me up in our tiny house.

poolomoomon Mon 17-Nov-14 20:40:13

Laughing at the twig year grin.

I only started having a tree from DC's first Christmas. DH and I never could be arsed before that, didn't seem much point really.

melonballer Mon 17-Nov-14 22:57:49

We might have to. DS is 17 months old, into everything, doesn't understand "no". If we get a tree with its tempting twinkly bits christmas will be one loooong battle. But I'm sad. I love a tree and dd loves to decorate it :-(

DoveOfPeace Tue 25-Nov-14 18:13:03

Christmas trees just make me feel uncomfortable now. They never used to, but 3 years ago something very, very traumatic happened to me at Christmas time, and they just bring it all back.

I am not having a tree this year, ds is too little to care and,as he is learning to walk, it would not be practical anyway.

I will definitely decorate the house in a very festive way. I just don't know if a traditional tree will EVER be part of it for me again.

I will make sure I don't decorate a twig though. For what a few of you have said ds definitely won't thank me for it smile

DoveOfPeace Tue 25-Nov-14 18:15:26

* From what a few of you have said ds definitely won't thank me for it! smile

aoife24 Tue 25-Nov-14 19:35:57

I've got 2 cats so it would be mayhem , it would only ever be up for about 5 minutes at a time.

espa Wed 26-Nov-14 10:50:00

I love decorating for Christmas, but my cats literally pull the tree over I a couple of minutes despite our best efforts. However DC1 is due to arrive before Christmas and I feel we need one! I am constantly scouring for "alternative" trees that are cat proof - any ideas? I can still make the house festive but do miss a tree.sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now