Talk

Advanced search

Christmas Drinks Party - what do you want and what would you hate?

(54 Posts)
WouldYouPleaseCallMeCordelia Sun 16-Nov-14 20:39:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bluestocking Sun 16-Nov-14 20:40:35

I don't drink alcohol, so I would appreciate a choice of non-alcoholic drinks, and plenty of sparkling water.

Mintyy Sun 16-Nov-14 20:42:48

All I'd want is no kids. So you party sounds fine to me! When can I expect my invite grin?

Although I'd want something more substantial than nibbles tbh.

Leeds2 Sun 16-Nov-14 20:43:27

I would love to start with champagne (tis nice with a strawberry in the glass), then white wine.

I would not appreciate mulled wine in any way, shape or form.

Would probably expect lager/beer of some form to be on offer, as well as a variety of non alcoholic drinks.

For nibbles, anything that can be picked up with one hand, and eaten in one mouthful!

I would like beer, or wine and lemonade, please. And some good bread and good cheese. Thank you. grin

rallytog1 Sun 16-Nov-14 21:01:10

I'm afraid I will leave unless you serve me champagne all night. Soz.

TwoNoisyBoys Sun 16-Nov-14 21:01:38

I can't drink wine <extra sad face!> so I wouldn't be able to have anything. Vodka is the only thing I can drink for a whole evening, but I appreciate that this would make a very expensive drinks party! So I'd like to have alternatives of beer and lemonade to make a shandy. I'd love the fizzy glass on arrival though.
And to eat I'd like 'substantial' nibbles......pastries are good for soaking up alcohol! wink

WouldYouPleaseCallMeCordelia Sun 16-Nov-14 21:27:56

DamselNotInHerDress Sun 16-Nov-14 21:31:12

Chambord in the bottom of your prosecco is lovely.
As is peach purée to make a nice Bellini. Ocado do a gorgeous peach purée.
I wouldn't touch mulled wine or snowballs if you paid me.
But I do like cherry brandy.
And I also like no dc!

DamselNotInHerDress Sun 16-Nov-14 21:32:18

The food situation wouldn't bother me one bit, I don't eat if I'm drinking - slows me down!

SolomanDaisy Sun 16-Nov-14 21:36:01

You have to have mulled wine at a Christmas drinks party. It is the law. Prosecco and pomegranate juice seems popular at the minute (it's delicious). I'd start with a choice of mulled wine or fizzy, then move on to red and white. Then for later have a choice of spirits/liqueurs. Also a good choice of soft drinks and beer. You need fairly substantial nibbles to soak up all the drink!

nilbyname Sun 16-Nov-14 21:40:52

Baked ham, block of cheddar, Stilton, some chutney, nice bread.

Prosecco with cassis and raspberry vodka is the tits.

On your invite, Tell people what your offering and invite then they can bring something specific if they want.

Provide-
Mixers, ice, lemons and limes, a usually put a couple of easy pleaser spirits out- gin and dark rum (pleasers in my crowd) nice glasses, cocktail napkins.

rallytog1 Sun 16-Nov-14 22:10:31

Oh I do so hate it when my reasonable requests cannot be accommodated.

Enjoy your party.

<flounces>

WouldYouPleaseCallMeCordelia Mon 17-Nov-14 21:58:19

RunawayReindeer Mon 17-Nov-14 22:09:49

I would like to eat salty crisps

Turquoisetamborine Mon 17-Nov-14 22:13:47

Belvoir are doing a non alcoholic mulled wine which I've tried and is actually really nice. I got mine in Sainsbury's. I like sparkling elderflower instead of champagne.
I miss champagne so much.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Mon 17-Nov-14 22:17:44

Chesses
Olives
Cured meats
Bread
Pate

CiderwithBuda Mon 17-Nov-14 22:33:02

God I love MN for reading my mind. And planning my parties.

Unfortunately ours is not kid free but the kids are all around 13.

For drinks we will def do Prosecco, beer, red and white wine. Nice selection of nonalcoholic drinks. Wasn't going to do spirits but maybe I should.

Food - getting a big baked ham, nice breads, big cheeseboard and a selection of nice canapés and lots of cocktail sausages.

A friend is making me some mini mince pies, brownies and cheesy scones.

And to really up the class ante - a big box of Celebrations and a box of Quality Street!

TheSpottedZebra Mon 17-Nov-14 22:38:40

I think - if you're intending that people leave by a decent hour, make it clear. No ending time suggests that you're open to people staying quite late. Similarly, if you're not serving dinner, make it clear that the invite is for 'drinks and nibbles' or however you want to word it. I think the time of 8 start does not make that clear.

TheSpottedZebra Mon 17-Nov-14 22:41:01

Mulled wine is nice for the smell if nothing else. You child always do a cheap one in a.... slow cooker? Yes really, the MN Mull.

Food wise, cheeses, crackers, bread etc all nice, wih olives, crudités etc.
And mince pies. You must have them. And another nibbly pud thing too.

ExitPursuedByABear Mon 17-Nov-14 22:43:15

Peanuts.

ExitPursuedByABear Mon 17-Nov-14 22:43:34

Prosecco

ExitPursuedByABear Mon 17-Nov-14 22:43:47

Hic

TheSpottedZebra Mon 17-Nov-14 22:44:35

Ooh, those roasted spiced nuts. So so so good. So much result for so little effort.

Taffeta Mon 17-Nov-14 22:46:09

We are having a party for 70 at Christmas, incl kids, but most over 8.

We have one most years, I do canapés, some friends also bring canapés, sweet and savoury, obligatory little sausages for kids (And adults) etc. Canapés often with cheese, smoked fish, roast beef, Parma ham, that kind of stuff. Nothing that involves the oven. as am too pissed for that usually Mince pies, chocolatey thingies.

Prosecco, mulled wine if it's very cold, jugs of cosmopolitan if not, lots of beer, wine and Feel Good fizzy drinks, juice etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now