Talk

Advanced search

Am I doing christmas dinner wrong?

(189 Posts)
PizzaPasta Sun 16-Nov-14 17:34:36

I'm hosting for the first time this year. (For 12 shock)

Mil asked what the menu was and was shocked that I wasn't having mash potatoe or Yorkshire puddings.

PizzaPasta Sun 16-Nov-14 17:35:53

Potato blush

storminabuttercup Sun 16-Nov-14 17:36:47

We never have mash or yorkshire puds.

And we are from yorkshire.

If I was making it id make them though

amothersplaceisinthewrong Sun 16-Nov-14 17:36:52

Just tell her you are doing it your way and that does not include Yorkshire puddings (which I thought were normally servied with beef anyway)

If she really moans, then get her a couple of Aunt Bessies!

Good luck!

LuckyLopez Sun 16-Nov-14 17:37:34

It's not wrong but I would be, and have been, disappointed with no Yorkshire puddings.

HolgerDanske Sun 16-Nov-14 17:37:57

No you're not doing it wrong!

When you host at yours it's your turn to do the things the way you like and to build up your own set of traditions.

Fun times ahead fgrin

LuckyLopez Sun 16-Nov-14 17:38:14

Im not rude enough to have said anything.

Chewbecca Sun 16-Nov-14 17:38:28

If it is your first time, you can set whatever traditions you like!

Do you want/like mash & yorkies? I love them but not with a roast turkey dinner for me.

BellaVita Sun 16-Nov-14 17:38:58

I do roasties and mash. Never yorkie puds.

soaccidentprone Sun 16-Nov-14 17:39:59

We always have mashed pots and season puddings - Yorkshire puddings with onion, sage and thyme added to the batter mix.

PizzaPasta Sun 16-Nov-14 17:40:22

I don't mind doing them if that is what everyone will be expecting. I just didn't know mash and yorkshires were the norm for christmas.

soaccidentprone Sun 16-Nov-14 17:40:41

And roasties too!

MelanieCheeks Sun 16-Nov-14 17:40:50

With turkey?

Yorkshire puds not required. But do them if you like.

I always do Yorkshire puddings.

However,I find the whole idea of having mash alongside roast potatoes bizarre and will never do it.

Kundry Sun 16-Nov-14 17:43:00

Mash definitely not. Yorkies not traditional but loads of people do them because they are yummy smile

Don't tell her any more about the menu , just say you haven't decided yet.

PizzaPasta Sun 16-Nov-14 17:43:02

Mixed responses... Not sure what to do now. confused

ThinkIveBeenHacked Sun 16-Nov-14 17:45:42

Yes have it all! Its christmas!

We have
Turkey
Stuffing
Mash
Roasties
Parsnips
Sprouts
Brocoli and Cauli
Yorkshires
Carrots
Peas and sweetcorn

In fairness its for 14/16 so needs to appeal to everyone.

LokiBear Sun 16-Nov-14 17:45:57

Yes, yes you are grin. In all seriousness, do it am your way. I'm hosting for the first time and not doing hassle back potatoes which my dad insists in wrong. I think they will enjoy my version anyway!

Pollywallywinkles Sun 16-Nov-14 17:46:18

Do whatever you want to do.

We never have mash or yorkshires with Christmas dinner. Would do yorkshires if beef was on the menu, but otherwise no.

IfNotNowThenWhen Sun 16-Nov-14 17:46:25

Mash, yes. Roast potatos, but of course.
Yorkshire puddings, no, because Yorkshire pudding should never be bastardised into those individual ones.
Yorkshire pudding yes, but only if you are doing beef and can cook the Yorkshire with beef dripping.

cruikshank Sun 16-Nov-14 17:47:05

Do what you yourself would like to eat. If you don't like mash or Yorkshires, don't do them. You're in charge now!

Personally, I do Yorkshires regardless of what meat we're having because I love them and also I am quite proud of mine. I did mash one year and never will again - nobody touched it because they were too busy stuffing lovely roasties down their necks.

RaptorInaPorkPieHat Sun 16-Nov-14 17:47:42

No mash here, but we do have yorkies (mainly for my fussy daughter - but we eat them too)

We did used to have mash and roasties growing up, but I think that was more to do with the size of the oven vs size of the family vs size of the turkey.

EndoplasmicReticulum Sun 16-Nov-14 17:49:03

Pointless having mash when there are roasties. And Yorkshire puddings are for when you have beef, surely?

Is mil going to come into your kitchen and interfere?

HolgerDanske Sun 16-Nov-14 17:50:08

If you don't mind doing it then just make some. But be careful about ending up with twenty 'must-have' requirements that make the whole thing a lot more stressful for you than it needs to be...

HeyheyheyGoodbye Sun 16-Nov-14 17:50:24

We had to add Yorkshire puds at SIL's request! I don't mind. I did tell her they'd have to be Aunt Bessie though fgrin

We're cooking:
Turkey
Stuffing
Pigs in blankets
Roasties
Christmas carrots
Sprout gratin
Celeriac in Marsala
Kale with chilli
Plain greens: peas/broc etc
Gravy
The aforementioned Yorkshire puds!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now