Talk

Advanced search

Aldi .. What do you recommend?

(20 Posts)
Pigleychez Sun 16-Nov-14 17:29:39

Planning my first trip to Aldi.

Anything I MUST by? any food recommendations?

Will be browsing for xmas party foods and anything xmas in general.

cleoismycat Sun 16-Nov-14 17:41:07

The wine is goodwink

PesoPenguin Sun 16-Nov-14 17:43:37

Wine, Christmas pudding, fake baileys, mince pies, anything chocolatey. It's all good really smile

TheReluctantCountess Sun 16-Nov-14 17:51:10

Wholewheat crackers.
Chocolate covered rice cakes.
Picked onion fake monster munch - they are REALLY strong.

Pigleychez Sun 16-Nov-14 17:55:56

All added to the list... flowers

DH loves Pickled onion Monster much so those really strong ones are a must! smile

Cumberlover76 Sun 16-Nov-14 17:56:17

Sea salt crackers mmmmm!

Wilf83 Sun 16-Nov-14 18:52:19

Chocolate

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 16-Nov-14 19:02:32

If you are going soon, they have "Snowman and Snowdog" loo roll and kitchen paper in the Aisles of Tat.

Boxes of butter fudge (not sure if it's the same as last year- it was lush - we'll have to sample it)

I got some base layers for DD (equestrian, bright pink, must be inspired by Katie Price)

Apple flan frozen ( pastry on base, apple slices on top, ) in Special Selection

chelsbells Sun 16-Nov-14 19:08:11

Box of sea shells chocolates - 2.99 and absolutely delicious! We bought a box yesterday as a taster and they've nearly all gone!

DH recommends the mince pies, says they've got a lovely brandy taste! And also says the stollen bites are good.

Also for general Christmas bits, the crisps called stackers are identical to Pringles, all cheeses are good, and some lovely frozen desserts!

Neeko Sun 16-Nov-14 19:13:24

Their frozen roast potatoes in goose fat are delicious. Better than any other frozen ones I've tried.
Also their fruit and nut chocolate, min stollen, stacker crisps, fruit tea. I could go on and on. smile

happygelfling Sun 16-Nov-14 19:17:26

I always try to get Aldi's stollen for Christmas. It's better than many other supermarket stollens, and our Aldi often run out of it.
As pps have said: wine, chocolate seashells, chocolate generally... Also the real ale is usually a good brand at a good price.

coffeetofunction Sun 16-Nov-14 19:42:26

My DH &DS would disagree on the pickled onion 'monster munch'...very edable but not like the proper stuff!!.... I got toffiee in there, the meat is very good, we get our boxing roast from there/ very nice...the mince for mince pies cooks well & it's a big jar- so lists of mince pies smile...the goose fat is good too smile

ffallada Sun 16-Nov-14 19:51:53

Eggs - very boring but they are much much cheaper in Aldi (£1 for 6, free range, RSPCA monitored)
Also, Hovis 50/50 bread, again much cheaper than in other stores.
And, possibly most importantly, GIN grin

Crumblevision Sun 16-Nov-14 21:12:48

Can't believe no one has said the salted caramel fudge yet. Buy several boxes. grin

Purplecircle Sun 16-Nov-14 21:15:50

Chateauneuf du papesmile

TwigletLola Sun 16-Nov-14 21:18:50

Their Salmon Wellington (in the frozen fish section) is fantastic, cooks straight from frozen and is a nice easy meal if you just fancy bunging something in the freezer and cooking up some peas or sweetcorn. Their coconut rum is also very good and far cheaper than Malibu, less than £5 I believe.

Pigleychez Sun 16-Nov-14 22:59:45

Wow! Thanks everyone.

I'm heading there in the morning and my list is quite long!

everydayaschoolday Sun 16-Nov-14 23:07:18

Love Aldi and do my weekly shop there. I love almost all of it and echo the responses above. However, just watch the fresh poultry - IME it goes off before the use by date. Fine to buy and cook within 2 days, or to freeze - rummage at the back of the chiller for the freshest ones, that have been kept chilled the best. I like the fresh free range whole chicken and the spatchpock (sp?) chicken.

fluffywhitekittens Sun 16-Nov-14 23:09:07

Most stuff but not keen on the Aldi version of " Pringles". Agree the fudge is lovely and look out for " groovy bars" smile

nikki1978 Sun 16-Nov-14 23:13:32

Smoked salmon - cheap and very good
Beef Wellington
Potato Au Gratin (amazing)
Pulled pork if they still have it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now