Talk

Advanced search

Lego for 12 year old DSS

(7 Posts)
RubMyLamp Sun 16-Nov-14 08:54:03

Hi all.

DSS loves Lego/Mega Bloks, the complicated ones. We're planning to get him a couple of different kits: Minecraft, Batman, Avengers, Simpsons.

Has anyone purchased any that are brilliant and would recommend or any that were absolute cack and not worth the expense? They're all £50+ so don't want to make a mistake and get a rubbish one.

marne2 Sun 16-Nov-14 09:08:28

I have bought dd a minecraft set, I have to say I was very disappointed with the size of the box, I bought dd2 the lego friends mall at the same time for a little bit more than the minecraft set and the box is twice as big as the minecraft box. I'm sure dd1 will ove it though. The Simpsons house looks amazing but very expensive, I also like the look of the campervan. There are quite a few sets on the lego website aimed at older children and adults.

Jenny70 Mon 17-Nov-14 01:42:55

Have you seen nano blocks? Smaller pieces than lego, and fun for that age group - they have space shuttles, animals (small sets) and some architecture ones too.

clearsommespace Mon 17-Nov-14 05:03:31

DS got the Monster Truck ref 42005 when he was 11. It isn't as expensive as some of the bigger models and good fun to play with once built.

evmil Mon 17-Nov-14 14:40:11

How good is at billing them and how complicated could they be? The lego camper van is 16+ (i think) but IMO could quite easily be done by a 12yo if they have quite a lot of experience of lego. Its a brilliant model, DSS1(15) got it a few years ago and its defiantly worth the money.

The only Simpsons set is the house which is £180 so depending on how much you want to spend that ma be a bit out of budget. However, it is really really good set and all my box love it. The details are fab.Its quite an easy build but as its big it does take a while.

In terms of the superhero sets the bat cave, Arkham asylum the bat and tumblr chase set and also the iron man Malibu mansion attack are probably the best loved sets in this house. If you have a specific superhero set in mind then you are welcome to ask what my boys think of it, we have so much lego we probably have it!!

I'm not sure about the minecraft sets. They do look good but have no minecraft fans in the house so don't have any of the sets.

RubMyLamp Mon 17-Nov-14 19:32:36

Thanks all! He is very good at them, he and DH sit and do them together its far better than them both playing on the sodding xbox I will check out all the suggestions.

SilasGreenback Mon 17-Nov-14 19:52:53

Instead of a set how about the LEGO heavy weapons book and then some money to buy extra pieces he needs? If he already has lots of Lego he will probably have lots of the bits needed (but maybe not in black - ds ordered lots of black bits)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now