Talk

Advanced search

Board game suggestions please

(22 Posts)
HuevosRancheros Sun 16-Nov-14 08:51:47

Looking for a new board game for Christmas, DCs are 4 and 6

Last year I got them Pop to the Shops (educational!!) to get DS into the idea of board games and help DD with money/giving change. They love it, it bores me to tears. Happily, they play it together, on their own, though I know they will want to play it as a family this Christmas.

To counteract the virtuousness of this we also got Whatever Next, which we all love, it is hilarious, and everyone playing is capable of doing the "actions" - I would highly recommend this if anyone is looking for a game for young children smile

We also got given Labyrinth which I had never heard of, but is very good, DS doesn't quite get the tactics, but still enjoys playing it grin

So does anyone have any suggestions for this year? Think I am looking for pure silly fun, no need to be educational. I think the limiting factor is 4 year old's ability to be able to do it i.e. I don't think he could do Pictionary or Rapidough (name?) yet.

Thanks for any suggestions smile

jThompson Sun 16-Nov-14 10:03:56

We like enchanted forest. 4 year old may need a bit of help the first couple of times but mine picked it fairly quickly.

Hurricaneinateacup Sun 16-Nov-14 10:15:54

UNO, junior monopoly, go piggies go, woolfy, shave a sheep, dobble, candyland, moustache smash, magic tooth fairy, froggy boogie, top trumps, junior Cluedo, frustration, gobblet gobblers...

We had quite a few orchard toys games first and I found all of them, without exception, bored me to tears. I know people rave about them but honestly, they're all so dull! I'd sooner just play snakes and ladders.

HuevosRancheros Sun 16-Nov-14 10:27:24

Thank you smile
Enchanted Forest looks good - it is made by the people who make Labyrinth, and they rate labyrinth as suitable for 8+ and enchanted forest for 6+, so there is hope for DS!

Hurricane, that is quite a list, thank you smile, I shall have a look on amazon at them. I agree about orchard games - they have been useful and educational, but bore me silly. grin
Their jigsaws were brilliant, wonder if they do any that dd hasn't done yet.....

Hurricaneinateacup Sun 16-Nov-14 10:30:44

Ds loves regular Cluedo as well but needs a little help to play.

Pixa Sun 16-Nov-14 10:42:15

Rapidough - not educational, but lots of fun.

It is also a great game for a few adults who have had a little to drink!

GoAndDoSomeWork Sun 16-Nov-14 11:19:30

Catan Junior & Qwirkle

GertrudePerkins Sun 16-Nov-14 11:22:59

yy to uno, junior monopoly

also guess who?

what a performance is good but the 4yo would need to be able to read, or be on a team.

dd2 (just turned four) can just about manage Sleeping Queens with some help.

Hurricaneinateacup Sun 16-Nov-14 11:26:01

Also Pass the Bomb junior and Feed the woozle

WeAllHaveWings Sun 16-Nov-14 14:04:05

frustration is very good for different ages/abilities (very competitive in our house, especially with grandparents) as long as they don't mind being knocked out back to the beginning.

monopoly junior (funfair version) also went down well.

Uno Extreme was big hit for a few years, not sure if we played as young as 4....

schmeegle Sun 16-Nov-14 14:07:21

Check out Zingo Bingo or Zingo Bingo 123. They are a huge hit in this house!

BikeRunSki Sun 16-Nov-14 14:07:41

We got a cheap version of Frustration lady Christmas, called Pop n Hop. DS loves it, and can play it for hours. Unfortunately it needs at least 2 players and dd is a bit small at 3 to be much help.

BikeRunSki Sun 16-Nov-14 14:20:43

Sorry, dS was 5.3 llast Christmas.

Clueing4looks Sun 16-Nov-14 14:32:06

A fun game we used to have, I think it might be called headbandz, the one where you have a picture stuck on your head and have to guess what you are. It has a picture clue for non-readers.

xpatmama Sun 16-Nov-14 14:34:39

I got hoot owl hoot

Clueing4looks Sun 16-Nov-14 14:35:25

www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/toys/games-puzzles-books/c-564/childrens-board-games/p-1377/disney-hedbanz/?gclid=CNuJyuyr_8ECFTHLtAodSlcASw

Here's a disney version on sale, £11.99. Gonna order for my nephew

xpatmama Sun 16-Nov-14 14:37:18

Apparently it's a cooperative game :-) for my 4 yr old

FixItUpChappie Sun 16-Nov-14 15:36:22

I've bought Melissa and Dougs Puppy Pursuit for my 2 and 4 year old this year. I've bought it for a friend with a 2-6yr spread previously because it seems the sort of game a wide age group could play together.

I've also bought my 4 yr old one of those fishing games with the snapping fish you have to get out with a magnet pole.

We also play the following which I think a 4 and 6 year old could do together....

-Trouble
-Hissss
-Hungry Hippo

vintagenurse Sun 16-Nov-14 16:02:45

Pictureka! Best game for all ages!

HuevosRancheros Sun 16-Nov-14 16:17:00

Thanks all smile

Pictureka looks good, but very expensive - on Amazon, at least. Do you have the board game or the cards?

Think DS might be a bit young for some of the suggestions, but thank you

CheckpointCharlie Sun 16-Nov-14 16:19:17

Mousetrap is really good, a slight pain in the arse to set up but good fun!

Bumpinthenight Sun 16-Nov-14 18:08:42

My DD(now 6) got this last year. She had some trouble reading the cards but we have all (grandparents included) enjoyed playing it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now