Talk

Advanced search

10 for Christmas Eve and Boxing Day - food ideas please!

(17 Posts)
MyVegasBaby Sat 15-Nov-14 23:25:25

Hi, I have 10 of us to feed on Christmas Eve and Boxing Day (family all travelling 300 miles to us) and 12 on Christmas Day.
Trying to plan what I need and the current meal plan is as follows:
Christmas Eve: spaghetti bolognaise / spaghetti carbonara with garlic bread. Sticky toffee or brownie for desert with ice cream
Christmas Day : starter ?? Turkey, pigs in blankets, roasties, parsnips, roasted carrots, sprouts, peas and stuffing. Christmas pudding or warm brownie and cream or ice cream
For tea cold turkey/ ham, pork pie, pickles, cheese board etc. pavlova for desert and anything else left
Boxing Day lunch: same as Christmas Day tea, bread so people can make sandwiches, may be some soup??
Boxing Day tea: would ham, fried eggs and chips be wrong? Could use up any leftovers as well?

MyVegasBaby Sat 15-Nov-14 23:28:27

I want to be able to start prepping and freezing from early December and could freeze the bolognaise, brownie slabs, sticky toffee etc. just a bit stumped for Boxing Day tea. Some of the kids (mine!) are fussy as is my mum. DH is working Boxing Day so will need a proper meal in the evening. Any other thoughts, suggestions welcome!
I'm going to be tuning myself ragged!

BonnieBess Sat 15-Nov-14 23:34:29

I would do something different for either the lunch or tea on boxing day - so either a roast lamb/pork or, if you are conscious of using the leftovers maybe a turkey curry or bake or something. (The fussy eaters could have the egg and chips)

CurlyWurlyCake Sat 15-Nov-14 23:41:26

Ham, egg and chips would be my idea of heaven on Boxing Day <drools>

We normally have bubble and squeak with pickles and cold meat...

I also love a Christmas dinner sandwich for Christmas Day tea.

Your Christmas Day starter could be the good old pate, prawns and salmon with brown bread or soup - all very easy to prepare or just have nibbles and skip it all together.

Christmas Eve carbonara and garlic bread is fresh and easy to make.

Do you have a slow cooker? Maybe use for your ham, soup or something like braised red cabbage.

My gang love bread sauce and lovely stuffing plus yorkies on Christmas Day.

Misty9 Sat 15-Nov-14 23:44:25

If you want a soup then riverFord cookbook has a lovely Leek potato bacon and chicken recipe - could substitute turkey. It's very filling and like a roast dinner. Could probably make in advance and just add cold turkey upon reheating?

MyVegasBaby Sun 16-Nov-14 09:07:04

Thanks. I'd like to make the soup for Boxing Day lunch ahead and freeze it too so will have a look at that recipe as sounds lovely and could add turkey on the day.
Ideally for Boxing Day id like to do a curry (again made ahead and frozen) and then just cook the accompaniments on the day but the youngest children and my mum won't eat it and I'd rather avoid cooking 2 different options (I'm already having to do that on Christmas Eve for the same reason!).
If I buy a big ham I can cook it in the slow cooker on Christmas Day and then have it for tea with all the other stuff and then use it up on Boxing Day with chips and egg.
Still open to other suggestions!

hanette Sun 16-Nov-14 09:07:20

How about homemade pies and veg on Christmas Eve? You could make them now and put them in the freezer. Our family tradition is steak and kidney on Xmas eve, initials of guests in pastry letters.

BiddyPop Sun 16-Nov-14 09:26:04

I recently had my family for lunch, the day after a long night in the pub for my 40th (I was going straight from work and family came later as they had to travel).

What I did was made a lamb rogan josh curry and a chicken and mushrooms in white wine and cream sauce, both served with rice.

Both of those can be made in advance and frozen. The chick and mushrooms could be made as turkey and mushrooms, could be made using a tin of Campbell's soup for the sauce (they do a chicken and white wine soup, or else plain ciick or plain mushroom all work well) or you can use up any leftover turkey stock, crew am and a half a glass of white wine as it is pretty quick and easy to make.

There are loads of curries that are frees able, so why not just do a very large batch one night soon, for dinner for DH and you and freeze enough for those who would eat it Boxing Day. Or even 2 curries over the next few nights, one mild one hotter. And either do a chick and mashies to freeze or buy a tin of the. Condensed soup as a back up (so you can always cheat, but you might want to use up leftover bits and feel relaxed enough to do that).

Rice, garlic bread, pup podiums (you can get them ready to eat gpfrom M&S or Sharwoods), chutney, a bag of ready to eat salad in a bowl, and maybe some tomato and spring onion chopped together. It was more try easy to do, even if the threatened hangover had hit. Mostly reheating and opening bags, with 1 chopping job.

BiddyPop Sun 16-Nov-14 09:28:57

Sorry I forgot to add that everyone served themselves too, so most people actually tried both and your younger DCs might try the milder curry if they can have the one they'd like and are not under pressure but see everyone else taking bits of a few things.

HuevosRancheros Sun 16-Nov-14 09:38:34

Are you doing bolognaise and carbonara because different people like different things? Just that I would favour a lasagne instead, can be pre-prepped, bunged in the oven. Serve with garlic bread, salad etc.

We're doing Boxing Day this year, 6 adults (2 veggie - us!) and 4 young kids.
Doing Mexican, quite mild but with salsas etc for people who like it hotter. Dishes of plain shredded chicken/turkey, spiced chicken/turkey, veggies, guacamole, cheese, salad, tortillas, rice maybe.... Hopefully enough choice for everyone. And a choice of desserts to keep everyone happy grin

MyVegasBaby Sun 16-Nov-14 10:01:27

Sadly yes, my youngest won't eat bolognaise and my sister won't eat mince!
Mexican idea sounds fab but I'm going to be all cooked/hosted out by then so really want a simple dish!

MsAspreyDiamonds Sun 16-Nov-14 10:52:06

Fish pie? You can get fishpie mix in the frozen section and you just need a sauce and mash or sliced potatoes for the top. Add some smoked salmon for a bit of luxury.

Misty9 Sun 16-Nov-14 13:10:58

Actually I love your slow cooked ham idea and have decided that we shall do the same! Love ham egg and chips smile

MyVegasBaby Sun 16-Nov-14 14:32:14

Maybe I've started a trend! Am considering some of the other ideas, quite like the idea of making pies and freezing them for Xmas Eve. My fusspots won't eat them nor will my sister which appears to be my challenge with most things when I try and do just one dish for all!

TaraKnowles Sun 16-Nov-14 14:40:43

How would you do the chips for ten people?

MyVegasBaby Sun 16-Nov-14 17:07:14

Not sure, either frozen oven ones or make my own, par boil for 5 mins, toss in olive oil, salt, pepper and paprika and bake - lovely! Could prep before and just bake at tea time.

TaraKnowles Sun 16-Nov-14 17:56:30

That would be easier than frying at that quantity. One of those flat griddle trays would mean that you could do lots of eggs at the same time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now