Talk

Advanced search

How do you get out of inviting someone?

(12 Posts)
CaptainAnkles Sat 15-Nov-14 20:51:34

If you've had them over for Christmas dinner for the last few years in a row but you really don't want them to come this year? Just not mention it and hope they realise they haven't been asked? Or actually tell them you don't want guests?

OddBoots Sat 15-Nov-14 20:59:43

Tell them, otherwise you'll just be fretting about what might or might not happen. There's nothing wrong with wanting a quiet Christmas, hopefully they'll understand but the sooner things are clear, the easier it'll be.

Chottie Sun 16-Nov-14 05:58:51

I would let them know asap too. Then they have plenty of time to make other arrangements.

rootypig Sun 16-Nov-14 06:04:57

Bring the conversation round to it. "We're not having guests this year".

Or, if they're a bit more on the ball, ask them what they're doing for Christmas grin

You must say something, or they will likely assume.

PinkAndBlueBedtimeScares Sun 16-Nov-14 06:28:54

Ohh I second asking them what they are doing this year, maybe following with a 'looking forward to something a bit different just with immediate family' or whatever!

Sunna Sun 16-Nov-14 06:53:20

Could you soften the blow by inviting them for a different day over the season?

CaptainAnkles Sun 16-Nov-14 06:55:57

Yes, I think you're right. Better get on with it and talk to them rather than avoiding the subject then. Thanks for replies smile

waithorse Sun 16-Nov-14 07:10:12

I'd have to tell them in case they turned up uninvited. confused

stridesy Sun 16-Nov-14 08:02:08

Who are they? Do they have somewhere else to go? Could you invite them over a different day? My bill family have my sil round every xmas but last year they said they were spending it with sil family but they spoke to my other bills about having her over first.

ScrambledEggAndToast Sun 16-Nov-14 08:10:54

Tell them what your plans are and ask them what their plans are. I hate situations like this so prefer to be in control rather than the other person catching me off guard where I may start flapping and say the wrong thing I.e. in this case, inviting them over! Best to have an idea what you are going to say if they start on about wanting to come.

CaptainAnkles Sun 16-Nov-14 11:11:01

They definitely have other places to go, but I'm just worried that they'll think it's a standing invitation. Just want it to be me, DH and the DC this year and need to work out a polite way of saying it.

JillJ72 Sun 16-Nov-14 11:47:15

"Hi, not sure what your plans are for this Christmas, but just wanted to let you know we've decided to have a closed house this year, so it'll just be DH and I and the kids."

Would that do it? Clear, friendly enough, and you could always tag a bit on about the DC having asked for this wink. If they are good friends they'll understand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now