Talk

Advanced search

Ideas please! Main present for 9yo DD?

(18 Posts)
culturemulcher Sat 15-Nov-14 20:11:42

I'm usually good at this presnent buying lark, but this year I'm stumped. I can't think of a really good 'main' present for DD.

She has a bike, a tablet and shares a laptop with her sibling to do homework. There's nothing either of us can think of that she really needs and I haven't heard her mention anything that she'd like for months and months and months.

She doesn't have any particularly special activities to buy for - her favourite thing is reading and I've already bought her a good pile of books over the last 6 months for 'extra' presents. She's 9 going on 10 - but not very interested yet in clothes or accessories.

Any thoughts? I'm really stuck!

annettec01 Sat 15-Nov-14 20:13:54

A kindle ??

tortoisesarefab Sat 15-Nov-14 20:15:29

One of those experience vouchers? Be a zoo keeper for the day or dive with sharks etc

jamtoast12 Sat 15-Nov-14 20:33:37

Gym mat, sewing machine, iPod touch, karaoke machine, hair crimpers

beatricequimby Sat 15-Nov-14 21:55:26

I am exactly the same. My dd is getting a John Lewis sewing machine from my Mum. Don't know what we are going to get her. Only ideas are art stuff - nice set of water colours or pastels? Something for her room like a beanbag?

PeanutButterOnly Sun 16-Nov-14 18:29:27

Rollerskates? ?

billiejeanbob Sun 16-Nov-14 19:00:52

a cheapish digital camera and a scrapbooking kit?

coffeetofunction Sun 16-Nov-14 19:54:31

A tablet
Roller boots
Heelies
A bike
A flicker/wiggle scooter
A stunt scooter
A karaoke machine
Dance mat
Portable DVD player
Secret diary/journal
Knitting kit/loom
Embrodary kit/loom

culturemulcher Sun 16-Nov-14 22:13:23

Oh gosh - lots of replies already. flowers

I quite like the idea of an 'experience' for a Christmas present - something to look forward to.

She really wants a kindle as they're allowed to take them into school, but as she's already got a tablet I'm a little bit hmm

Notcontent Mon 17-Nov-14 14:26:13

Your dd sounds very much like my dd, who is 8. Get her the kindle - my dd has one and loves using it. Really great for long books as easier to hold. My dd has a tablet too (unwanted present from relatives, in case anyone is surprised...) but she doesn't really use it much, compared to the kindle.

wonderingsoul Mon 17-Nov-14 18:23:54

an expericance and maybe a camera.. so she can have somethign ont he day and can use it to record memories?

Allice Mon 17-Nov-14 18:27:15

My almost 10 year olds main present is strictly tickets, it's her birthday just before Christmas and I run out of ideas every year.
She's getting a tablet for her birthday and also wants some sylvanian stuff.

I may also get Harry Potter studio tour tickets, she's been before but not with the snow and loves HP

Leeds2 Mon 17-Nov-14 18:53:55

The zookeeper for a day experiences are great (DD has done three, I think) but check carefully what you get at different zoos. At 9, she may be too young for many of them, but they do vary between 30 mins feeding a lemur, and then a day at the zoo on your own, and a full day mucking out cages, preparing food etc.

Mercedes World do a driving experience, which is fun. From memory, it was based on how tall the child was, rather than how old, as they had to be big enough to reach the pedals and see out of the window!

Taffeta Mon 17-Nov-14 19:32:11

DD (8) is getting a netball hoop and netball, and a Sew Cool sewing machine.

twolittledarlings Mon 17-Nov-14 19:45:16

My 10yr old is getting an archery kit with target from Decathalon
She's been asking for one since the Olympics
My friend has that one and says its brilliant

Last year she got a beanbag and smart tv (her birthday is at Xmas too)
Both were hits
My 12 yr old is getting a guitar and book as main present
Her birthday is also on Xmas eve

twolittledarlings Mon 17-Nov-14 19:51:41

They are also getting a ice watch, loads of reading books rucksack, handbag, oneies, loads of nail stuff like art nail pens, DIY nail book, braiding hair book, jewellery stacker from john lewis, nice as you can always add to it.
Popchef, hair dryer, CDs,

My 10 year old asked for a smoothie blender and also a juicer which I got as she loves cooking and I can use it too.

My sister is getting them speakers for their ipad so they can play their songs louder.
She is also getting them each a fujifilm instant camera

culturemulcher Mon 17-Nov-14 20:51:00

Some fantastic ideas there. Speakers for her tablet would be good.

And yes, Noncontent maybe I should just bite the bullet and get her the kindle she really wants. She is a reader, and I'm pretty sure she'd read it. It just feels a bit like technology overkill.

A zoo experience would be great.

Twolittle What's an ice watch?

I love the idea of an archery kit - such a great idea - but I think I might worry myself into an early grave about DS getting hold of it and using DD as target practice.

twolittledarlings Mon 17-Nov-14 22:31:11

The

The archery kit is a sucker one so the arrows has a sucker on the pointy bit and sucker sticks to the target like this. I also got 4 more arrows.

I wouldn't risk getting a pointy arrow for my 10 yr old.

www.decathlon.co.uk/softarchery-kit-discover-archery-id_8174159.html

The ice watch is a brand. Tough wearing for teenagers. I used my tesco clubcard to get these from Goldsmith.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now