Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I made the Ikea gingerbread house but its melted already

(8 Posts)
Wailywailywaily Sat 15-Nov-14 09:32:42

Not the icing bit thats perfect because I actually did make that fgrin but the gingerbread has gone all soft and manky and the house has keeled over sideways.

What have I done wrong? I have a more expensive Costco one to make yet, the Ikea one was a test run, I really don't want a melted gingerbread house as a display fsad

mrsfarquhar Sat 15-Nov-14 14:22:14

When did you make it and how long were you hoping it would last?

attheendoftheday Sat 15-Nov-14 15:07:26

Could you have stored it somewhere moist? I had a moist gingerbread house fail one year after keeping one near to the kettle.

MsAspreyDiamonds Sat 15-Nov-14 15:16:26

I made one last year and used tate and lyle royal icing to hold it together. It was like thick cement & held the house together very well so well that we needed to use a rolling pin to break the damn thing

Tykeisagirl Sat 15-Nov-14 15:29:49

I made one last year and had exactly the same problem. I tried to shore it up a few times, then have in and we ate it grin.

Wailywailywaily Sat 15-Nov-14 15:41:50

I made it two days ago. It probably is too humid, its next to the tumble drier ATM grin it does have an outflow pipe so I didn't worry too much

I don't think there is anywhere in the house that is that dry though fhmm

The DC have started to take chunks out of it now

MrsLindor Sat 15-Nov-14 22:50:34

We usually make ours a week or so before Christmas, two weeks max.

JohnCusacksWife Sat 15-Nov-14 22:55:29

We made the ikea gingerbread house last year, held together with royal icing, and it lasted weeks and weeks. It was solid! And the gingerbread was still edible by the end. Think the tumble drier may be to blame!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now