Talk

Advanced search

Items for tiny advent calendar drawers

(13 Posts)
hairypaws Sat 15-Nov-14 09:12:48

Does anyone have ideas for advent calendar items? The kids don't really want choc in theirs all the time, they like little surprises but last year I really struggled.

I have a boy 9 and a girl 13. I've done hair clips , earrings, Lego minis, in the past so looking for some different ideas but they need to be inexpensive.

I have no imagination!

Enb76 Sat 15-Nov-14 09:14:56

I have a similar problem. Hawkins Bazaar is sometimes useful, also stationary shops like Blott who have novelty rubbers for pence. Tiger is another shop for cheap pointless but nice stuff.

JustAShopGirl Sat 15-Nov-14 09:52:40

You know what - I found the kids could not really care less - they get excited because I want it to be special - chocolate coins, sweets from the quality street tin - all get a little squeak - my girls are 12 and 13...

Sukebind Sat 15-Nov-14 09:53:16

Yes, stationary is good. Sainsbury have had some animal stampers half price to 99p but not sure if they would be too tall for your drawers! (As it were!) A little ring for your dd? Magnet? Really shiney £1 coin from this year?

Idontknowhowtohelpher Sat 15-Nov-14 10:24:02

This is a good site - www.mummymartinstoybox.co.uk/

hairypaws Sat 15-Nov-14 14:01:53

Thanks folks, all good ideas. Suke you made me laugh :-)

blanklook Sat 15-Nov-14 15:33:33

If I have any gifts that are suitable, but too big for the Advent Calendar drawers or pockets, I wrap the gift and write the number of the day on it and keep them handy. Then I put a note in the relevant drawer or pocket saying, 'Ask Mum for the gift for drawer number x'

Leeds2 Sat 15-Nov-14 15:58:14

You could put a 1p coin in one day, then 2p, then 5p etc finishing with a £!. Interspersed with the other things.

ItIsntJustAPhase Sat 15-Nov-14 21:55:54

Some great ideas here! Also shopkins, squinkies, star wars battle pod figures, single stickers, sweets, tiny bottles of pixie dust, hair bobbles, hair clips, rubbers. With gifts that are too big like socks or something I just sort of stick them near or a bit in the drawer.

Ladymoods Sun 16-Nov-14 10:38:21

The 99p shop had a set of tiny wooden tree decorations and some Christmas erasers that would both fit perfectly in advent calendars. Only useful if you have a 99p shop nearby I realise...

PenelopeGarciasCrazyHair Sun 16-Nov-14 10:48:29

Place marking for ideas. Drawers are for me, but I love stationary and might throw in a trip to hobby craft for some little bits of crafty stuff.

differentnameforthis Sun 16-Nov-14 11:13:09

I have little boxes too!

Last year I did a mix of chocs, craft, bath stuff, snow globes, Christmas decorations & I put in little tokens for an activity...like a lunch somewhere, or a picnic (we are in Australia, so this is possible at Christmas). The items that didn't fit went into a lucky dip tub & they got a token to say "lucky dip" so don't restrict it to things that fit!

hairypaws Sun 16-Nov-14 16:30:19

More great ideas. Love the lucky dip token, think I will go with that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now