Talk

Advanced search

please share your most delicious pork recipe

(15 Posts)
kiwidreamer Fri 14-Nov-14 18:08:41

We are hosting good friends for a pre Christmas meal a few weeks before Xmas day, I bought a large leg joint from Tesco and was wondering if anyone can recommend a great recipe to make it really tasty. Thanks smile

bogiesaremyonlyfriend Fri 14-Nov-14 18:24:57

Sadly I can't recommend a good recipe but I can advise you not to think it will turn into ham by boiling it and then cooking it!! It won't it will just taste gross grin

TheWordFactory Fri 14-Nov-14 19:35:15

Is it a crackling joint OP?

LikeSilver Fri 14-Nov-14 20:03:18

I like Jamie Oliver's six-hour slow roasted pork. It's always yum.

berceuse Fri 14-Nov-14 20:07:24

I am not a massive fan of pork but I really love Nigella's porchetta - really lovely. I think it is in the summer book.

Got99problems Sat 15-Nov-14 11:23:32

Am bumping this as have also bought a huge joint of pork (half price at the moment so will be half-filling my freezer til christmas!)

Got99problems Sat 15-Nov-14 11:28:43

The six hour pork looks fab, but I think my joint is more like 3-4kgs than 2kgs... should I just increase the cooking time by 50%? (9 hour pork, eek!)

kiwidreamer Sat 15-Nov-14 11:29:31

It is a crackling joint --at least that's what the Tesco stickers say-- I think its a leg joint and, again, I think, that the shoulder is considered more tender so with that in mind a slow roast might be a good idea.

I'd have to put it on at 7am to eat at 1pm (!) will a slow roast crackle?? I'm sure last year I saw a Jaimie Oliver program with a slow roast pork and he managed to get a good crackle, I might have a dig around online and see if I can find any details.

Any other tips / recommendations would be fab, this is the only meal I'm hosting this year so would like it to be special smile

kiwidreamer Sat 15-Nov-14 11:32:36

Oh man, my joint is 3.5kgs... we might have to do some further research Got99!!

Got99problems Sat 15-Nov-14 11:40:09

Just put it on the night before kiwi wink

AnnoyingOrange Sat 15-Nov-14 12:07:11

This is a fab pork recipe using pork loin

www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/pork_loin_with_parma_ham_56872

I guess you could adapt it for the leg of pork

LikeSilver Sat 15-Nov-14 18:55:50

Not sure if you're set on a roast? - if not I have an awesome pulled pork recipe that is cooked the day before (for several hours), then pulled apart and left overnight in rub/juices. It just needs warming before you eat it. Let me know if you'd like it.

frazzledbutcalm Sat 15-Nov-14 21:31:48

I'd like the recipe like wink

Got99problems Sat 15-Nov-14 22:47:55

ooh like can I have the recipe - that could be less stressful than trying to get the roasting timings right.

LikeSilver Sun 16-Nov-14 09:32:04

You need:

1.6kg-ish of pork - shoulder bone-in is best but I can never find bone-in and I don't see why leg wouldn't work
2tbsp salt
2tbsp dark muscovado sugar
1tbsp smoked paprika
2tsp liquid smoke (if you are fancy, I've never used this!)

Preheat oven to 220C. Line a roasting tin with sheets of foil large enough to fold over the top of the pork, then pat the meat dry with a paper towel and add to the tin. Mix the salt, sugar and paprika together and rub half into the meat.

Put the pork into the hot oven for 40 minutes until well browned, then take out and turn the heat down to 125C. If you're using liquid smoke pour it over at this point. Fold the foil over the top to make a sealed parcel and then cook for 6-7 hours (if you have a thermometer the internal temperature should measure 89C). Pour off the juices and reserve.

Turn the heat back up to 220C and cook the pork, uncovered, for ten minutes to crisp up. Take out, cover with foil and rest for 30 minutes.

Using two forks (or your fingers) pull the meat into shreds and add the rest of the seasoning and the meat juices and stir through. Leave to soak for 24 hours (if possible, overnight will do though) before reheating in a warm oven to serve (we like it with white rolls, BBQ sauce and coleslaw).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now