Talk

Advanced search

best 'cheap' telescope for beginners. What to look for?

(5 Posts)
meglet Fri 14-Nov-14 14:47:22

I was thinking about buying 8yo DS a telescope for Xmas. I know they're not cheap but am hoping that something around the £70/£80 mark will be ok. Jessops have some in store so I'll go and have play with them and see what they say.

Anything to avoid or look for? I haven't a clue where to start confused.

AChickenCalledKorma Fri 14-Nov-14 15:26:59

My BIL is a professional astronomer.

This is the one he recommended we buy our daughter at a similar age: Infinity 76P Telescope

It doesn't look like a traditional telescope - more like a cute blue penguin. But it is very clear, hard to break and easy for a child to set up. The moon looks awesome on a clear night!

(Also cheaper than your budget, so you could get a star-gazing book etc to go with it).

Mipe Fri 14-Nov-14 19:36:13

This one is only £15 and has had some great reviews: telescope.

code Sat 15-Nov-14 07:54:46

The Skywatcher Heritage 100p or Flexitube 130p are great proper scopes. They retail for £90-£130 but you won't need to upgrade quickly if he takes to it. Google 'First light Optics' who are a really great online retailer and give them a call, they're really helpful. Whereabouts are you, I might be able to recommend a shop if you want to see them in the flesh so to speak?

meglet Sat 15-Nov-14 22:07:50

Thanks everyone. I'll have a look at them tomorrow on the laptop.

code I'm in Hampshire.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now